ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #76
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Viejo Mexico
Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
The story was that the bike was handed off with all the rider aids off. Crasher broke his wrist. Poor bike!
You mean it DOES have that?
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #77
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
You mean it DOES have that?
The bike does have all the Nannys....however if someone else were to hand the bike off without cycling the key off/on it would remain in the same mode the previous rider left it. I reckon that's what happened in the video.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #78
burgerking
echt bezopen
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
The bike does have all the Nannys....however if someone else were to hand the bike off without cycling the key off/on it would remain in the same mode the previous rider left it. I reckon that's what happened in the video.
Or if the dongle is fitted, then it remains in the same mode even if the engine is switched off.
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #79
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Viejo Mexico
Oddometer: 1,636
Seems odd to pay extra for a bike that has a deadly engine, then pay extra to put in all the electronics to keep you from killing yourself.

Didn't know it could automatically prevent a flip, though I'd heard something about some bike or system being able to do it. Maybe he was trying to test the systems?

[edit]...wow, I guess it DOES have anti-flip. Ooops! I guess the guy should check the position of the switch before whipping open the throttle.

John Ashman screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 11:49 AM
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #80
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
everetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Central New Mexico
Oddometer: 325
Would it be completely unpractical and excessive for me to keep my RC8R AND get a 1290 R?
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #81
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Would it be completely unpractical and excessive for me to keep my RC8R AND get a 1290 R?
Yes.





Who said you had to be practical ?
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'14 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #82
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Would it be completely unpractical and excessive for me to keep my RC8R AND get a 1290 R?
No, keep the RC8R for the days when you want to ride slow and relaxed.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #83
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 471
No new news about the 1290 so maybe I can throw this out there and get some advice.

I will need a new helmet to go along with the SD. The hat that gets most my ride time now is an Arai XD4. It'll be too turbulent IMHO. I'd really like something super slick in the wind...I wear earplugs 100% so low noise isn't the most important. I also have a Neotech that I use in colder weather on the GS.

Neither of these seem to fit a super bad assed naked like the SD.

What's out there that might be slippery in the air AND look good ..?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #84
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pork-Chop Express's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
No new news about the 1290 so maybe I can throw this out there and get some advice.

I will need a new helmet to go along with the SD. The hat that gets most my ride time now is an Arai XD4. It'll be too turbulent IMHO. I'd really like something super slick in the wind...I wear earplugs 100% so low noise isn't the most important. I also have a Neotech that I use in colder weather on the GS.

Neither of these seem to fit a super bad assed naked like the SD.

What's out there that might be slippery in the air AND look good ..?
Not sure how well the aerodynamics compare but I have a 2008 SD and wear a Shoei RF1100. The combination is completely turbulence/buffet free. I'd think most one-piece street/race/sport-touring helmets will be fine though. Whichever shape fits your head best (meaning the internal shape....round, oval, etc) is the right choice.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #85
burgerking
echt bezopen
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 564
Don't know if it is quiet but it looks good



Going to get me one of these...
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #86
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Don't know if it is quiet but it looks good



Going to get me one of these...
It turns out that the picture was right - in the US, our version does NOT have the HJC logo on the side.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=297
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'14 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.

Florida Lime screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 08:27 AM
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #87
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,085
Got a call from I90 Motorsports this morning. Turns out they bought all the KTM bikes from the motorcycle show that was in town because it was the last stop for the show, so that is the reason the dealer told me they would have a 1290 for me this week. What I90 did not know is that KTM had to take the bikes back to prep them somehow so it turns out the bikes are NOT available and they do not know when they will get the bikes back from KTM. So the wait continues..........
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #88
burgerking
echt bezopen
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Would it be completely unpractical and excessive for me to keep my RC8R AND get a 1290 R?
Will be interesting to see what the 1290 engine can do fitted in the RC8R chassis
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #89
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bellingham, Washington, U.S.
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Got a call from I90 Motorsports this morning. Turns out they bought all the KTM bikes from the motorcycle show that was in town because it was the last stop for the show, so that is the reason the dealer told me they would have a 1290 for me this week. What I90 did not know is that KTM had to take the bikes back to prep them somehow so it turns out the bikes are NOT available and they do not know when they will get the bikes back from KTM. So the wait continues..........
If that's the case then I sat on your bike :) even got a picture too.
Smithers167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #90
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Will be interesting to see what the 1290 engine can do fitted in the RC8R chassis
I am sure they will put it in the RC8R in 2015 along with t/c and abs
__________________
Alan
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014