User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
daydream OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hacking a BMW R1200RT

While I was at Barber's Motorsports Vintage Days my wife at home went to an estate sale with a friend. While there one of the items for auction was a 2006 BMW R1200RT with 16,000 miles. She called me and asked if I would like it. I said of course, as I was looking for a project and wanted a more performance oriented tug to hack. I gave her a rediculously low number to work with and since everyone there at the auction were looking for everything but a motorcycle we were fortunate to win the auction. By the way it looks great!

I am looking to put a Hannigan Bandito on the RT and wondered if anyone else has had experience with this combination whether good or bad? I was also considering putting Hannigan Steerlite to help the geometry.

I have owned a Ural Patrol since 07 and love it but want to complement it with a turnpike cruiser.

Any input would be appreciated.

daydream screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 07:47 PM
daydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,198
Don't see why it wouldn't work well, there are a ton of GS's hacked, some with Hannigan's. Probably have to cut some of the body work, but that should be pretty minimal.
I have their Steerlite on my K12RS and it works well. I'd call and speak with them, and also Claude as he's a Hannigan dealer.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream View Post
While I was at Barber's Motorsports Vintage Days my wife at home went to an estate sale with a friend. While there one of the items for auction was a 2006 BMW R1200RT with 16,000 miles. She called me and asked if I would like it. I said of course, as I was looking for a project and wanted a more performance oriented tug to hack. I gave her a rediculously low number to work with and since everyone there at the auction were looking for everything but a motorcycle we were fortunate to win the auction. By the way it looks great!

I am looking to put a Hannigan Bandito on the RT and wondered if anyone else has had experience with this combination whether good or bad? I was also considering putting Hannigan Steerlite to help the geometry.

I have owned a Ural Patrol since 07 and love it but want to compiment it with a turnpike cruiser.

Any input would be appreciated.
You may want to contact inmate...BMWzenrider, who is very well versed in having mated his RT to sidecar(s).

cheers...

The fast way through a right-hander...

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
You may want to contact inmate...BMWzenrider, who is very well versed in having mated his RT to sidecar(s).

Good advice.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15

Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,884
One Claude assembled for Sabrina Summers

http://www.thesabrinasummers.com/BMW-Rig.html
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
daydream OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your input. I am wondering how wide the whole rig would be? Lots of questions. Canbus, ABS, it looks like I will need professional help.

Choice - Claude or Hannigan for the install?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I am wondering how wide the whole rig would be? Lots of questions. Canbus, ABS, it looks like I will need professional help.

Claude and have him do a swaybar at the same time, he installs allot of Hannigans his right hand man was formerly Hannigan's they work well together.DB
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
hsblue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

Both can deal with the BMW and both have oodles of experience. Hannigan is 150 mi closer.

I have a Claude swaybar and would want one again. Don't know if Hannigan does them or not.

I would also ask about the required time frame to build the rig. Can the work be done while you hang out in a local motel for a couple days or are you going to need to make 2 round trips weeks or months apart.
Henry
hsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblue View Post
Both can deal with the BMW and both have oodles of experience. Hannigan is 150 mi closer.

I have a Claude swaybar and would want one again. Don't know if Hannigan does them or not.

I would also ask about the required time frame to build the rig. Can the work be done while you hang out in a local motel for a couple days or are you going to need to make 2 round trips weeks or months apart.
Henry
I bought a used Hannigan car (Conde Classic) that was 80 miles from Hannigan's shop, Made sense to have them do the install. I asked about a swaybar and was told they only fit them to the dualsport or HP rigs, not the standard street rigs. They scheduled me about 2 months out, and they did the install in 2 1/2 days while I hung out. They were pretty good about allowing me to look in on the build and take pics.

If it were not for the location of the sidecar purchase, I'd have probably gone to Claude, as 1. I saw Claude's install of a Hannigan on another K12RS, and 2. I have family in the area. I'll eventually have Claude build me a swaybar.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Swaybars

It kinds of depends where you live in the PNW swaybars can be dangerous ! Everywhere else they work pretty well
Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
It kinds of depends where you live in the PNW swaybars can be dangerous ! Everywhere else they work pretty well
Why would a sway bar be unsafe, if it were built right & installed correctly ?

Or is this an inside ribbing....?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post

It's a ribbing Wolfgang, the major sidecar installer in the PNW quietly tells folks who show up in his area they are dangerous, but to my knowledge has not showed up in advrider\hacks\ to offer any explanation.
It's been implied I'm an opinionated bomb thrower it's quite possibly true but I'm straight forward
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post

Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
daydream OP
Adventurer

I have the bike and I have stripped all the "tupperware" off and the only problem so far is, that it has sat for 2 years. Lots of stale gas and varnish. I have the fuel pump soaking in a mixture of 50/50 Seafoam and gasoline. I changed oil and filter, brake fluid and clutch fluid. The injectors will be looked at next. I also found out about Beemer Boneyard. They make the bike more affordable.

Thanks for all the responses and they were just as I suspected as both Hannigan and Claude have good reputations with you guys.

I would send pictures from my Dropbox but I am having some difficulty figuring that out.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
I have the bike and I have stripped all the "tupperware" off and the only problem so far is, that it has sat for 2 years. Lots of stale gas and varnish. I have the fuel pump soaking in a mixture of 50/50 Seafoam and gasoline. I changed oil and filter, brake fluid and clutch fluid. The injectors will be looked at next. I also found out about Beemer Boneyard. They make the bike more affordable.

Thanks for all the responses and they were just as I suspected as both Hannigan and Claude have good reputations with you guys.

I would send pictures from my Dropbox but I am having some difficulty figuring that out.
You maybe able to salvage injectors and lines if you have not tried to start it, pump some solvent threw them and they maybe fine, good luck.DB