Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
hsblue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Sidecar bumpers

They look cool. Here is Davebig's rig

There are some more substantial looking bumpers. My question is do they do any good?

Maybe they save the paint if I smack a garbage can in the garage. But if a soccer mom on her cell phone, lets her SUV drift across the center line, there isn't a bumper in the world that is going to save the sidecar.

What about the in between stuff, boxes falling from pickup trucks, dogs, small deer, parking lot fender benders?

I am coming from the idea that BMW Airhead crash bars are known for preventing scratches on $50 valve covers but bending the frame.

Henry
hsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 729
My Hedingham has built in bumpers

Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,392
I'd have a hedingham rig in a NY minute, I think they are as handsome as a sidecar can be.

Bent bumper that got cut in one place straightened and welded should be back from powder coater Mon. I wanted to build a heavier one but my welder liked the way the deer rumpled that one up and not the tub nose, it collapsed downward and didn't toss deer over the top possibly a good outcome.DB
Old 10-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,719
It's a question I've been wondering as well. Some are part of the frame and some just bolt on through the body under the nose. Looks like the Ural / Dnepr ones I've found googling around all mount through the body so won't be as protective. Maybe there is something to be said for having a crumple zone here though?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
It's a question I've been wondering as well. Some are part of the frame and some just bolt on through the body under the nose. Looks like the Ural / Dnepr ones I've found googling around all mount through the body so won't be as protective. Maybe there is something to be said for having a crumple zone here though?
That's all mine does, it's more a light bar than bumper, one bolt on nose and two on the bottom,but since it stands off the body everywhere,that gave it room to move around and absorb the deer hit.I had a Ural before and the bumper they sold for them is allot stiffer.DB
Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Looking at lady luck ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I'd have a hedingham rig in a NY minute, I think they are as handsome as a sidecar can be.

Bent bumper that got cut in one place straightened and welded should be back from powder coater Mon. I wanted to build a heavier one but my welder liked the way the deer rumpled that one up and not the tub nose, it collapsed downward and didn't toss deer over the top possibly a good outcome.DB
Looking at your rig.....
I can only think about how very fortunate you & your dog were to have so little damage left behind.
Have you considered renaming your rig ?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
That's all mine does, it's more a light bar than bumper, one bolt on nose and two on the bottom,but since it stands off the body everywhere,that gave it room to move around and absorb the deer hit.I had a Ural before and the bumper they sold for them is allot stiffer.DB
Yeah, you'd figure that a really solid frame mounted bumper would have transferred all the force right through the bumper into the car and then bike. Then what do you think would have happened? Worse damage to the bike and car or to the deer?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Yeah, you'd figure that a really solid frame mounted bumper would have transferred all the force right through the bumper into the car and then bike. Then what do you think would have happened? Worse damage to the bike and car or to the deer?
Damned if I know, but Claude has several customers who've had major accidents where the bike got totaled and the chair moved on to the next rig.
I think I was lucky that the deer was a medium sized buck going full bore and he was airborne when I hit him and I had more momentum and went over him rather than him over the car.DB
Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Me thinks that a solid main frame one-unit bumper like the Hedingham would of course be immensely strong but the transfer forces it would transfer to the subframe/bike during an accident could be more problematic to the bike. I would agree with Dan!

What we currently have is all in order to save weigh and $$.

CMS aluminum/steel body is immensely strong; can indeed act as a crumbling zone with it's faux bumpers. So does DMCs heavy fiberglass body and faux bumper. They're both designed (?) to somewhat downward deflect an impact by their curved noses. Currently our front bumpers serve nothing more as lamp holders; scratch protectors; stone shield holder, etc. One must indeed be appreciative of CMS wide step on platform that also protects the fender very well.

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 04:40 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Some cars that have the Ural 'look' have the front bumper attached as part of the frame. I was wondering how to do that to mine but maybe I'm better off to just use the bolt-on variety.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Body design, which ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Me thinks that a solid main frame one-unit bumper like the Hedingham would of course be immensely strong but the transfer forces it would transfer to the subframe/bike during an accident could be more problematic to the bike. I would agree with Dan!

What we currently have is all in order to save weigh and $$.

CMS aluminum/steel body is immensely strong; can indeed act as a crumbling zone with it's faux bumpers. So does DMCs heavy fiberglass body and faux bumper. They're both designed (?) to somewhat downward deflect an impact by their curved noses. Currently our front bumpers serve nothing more as lamp holders; scratch protectors; stone shield holder, etc. One must indeed be appreciative of CMS wide step on platform that also protects the fender very well.

cheers...

The actual sidecar body design we are talking about here it the Ural, right ?

After all we have many designs out here & some directing the air flow upward.
While some have a bow of a displacement ship, the air flow is cut from right to left.
So is that fat round nose (ural) a better design for surviving a wild life encounter ?

The largest thing ever hit w/ my earliest Ural was a wild turkey in AR.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
The actual sidecar body design we are talking about here it the Ural, right ?

After all we have many designs out here & some directing the air flow upward.
While some have a bow of a displacement ship, the air flow is cut from right to left.
So is that fat round nose (ural) a better design for surviving a wild life encounter ?

The largest thing ever hit w/ my earliest Ural was a wild turkey in AR.
Hallo Wolfgang..

First we we're primarily talking about bumpers, which are mostly decorative, then I added the idea that the design of the Ural/+clones by observation do give a downward deflective look of things that might come underneath it; small animals; sage brushes; tall grasses; knee height bushes, etc. Not talking about a Moose/ Cow/ Mustang, etc., compared to others that might mow, push, or even throw scrubs over the bow and onto you!

Here's my former Ural clone...

Just an abservation.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

[QUOTE

The largest thing ever hit w/ my earliest Ural was a wild turkey in AR.[/QUOTE]

I've had several close encounters with wild turkeys on the road as well as on this forum, though the ones on this forum are very domesticated some even educated But really I managed to dodge one flying but he missed landing in the woman friends lap by inches. Turkey buzzards and their better looking cousins the bald eagle have also been involved in close calls, the eagle had to drop a raccoon carcass and I was glad he did.DB
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

I really should pay better attention

Adenteuerfahrer, you're right, sorry for the temp. subject hi-jack.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,457
I think the perimeter sidecar frames such as the Heddingham, Watsonian and the Vetter terraplanes were/ are the best bet as far as true bumpers go. We have done our bumpers as a frame mount as well as a body mount but it seems the body mount has worked fine for it's purpose. Yes, it does deflect things and also does create a crush zone of sorts. The addition of what we call a stone deflector on the front underside of the body also adds some beef up front.
We have also done a 'bumper' that actually extended front to rear underneath the body that had a roll bar incorporated into it.
As far as roll bars go I think Craig Vetter probably had the best design out there on the Terraplanes. Not counting the full roll cage design that Side Effects did on Murray's Triumph powered outfit.
Most roll bars are decorative. Most bumpers are decent deflectors and great driving light holders.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote