Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,680
can you add a little mustache for Natasha while you're at it
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
DJ1
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 158
Late to the party....

bumpers serve a great purpose, to protect the rig from bumps, small or light impacts/collisions. DaveBs bumper is the perfect example, if he bumped something light it would defended the car without damage to either, larger impacts like the deer he hit did damage to the bumper but the bumper absorbed the heavier energy and saved the rig from more damage.

Getting hit by a 4 wheeled vehicle is almost a loosing situation anytime. If the bumper was strong enough to protect the sidecar then it would have to be very strong/heavy, the energy in the impact would then transfer thru the bumpers to the persons on or in the rig damaging the weakest part or parts.

I learned this lesson the hard way racing on the circle track, I used pipe for my bumpers, they didn't bend at all, the old timers told me I should use lighter material. What did they know, they were always working on their bent up bumpers, I was 17 and needed that time for the girls. Well I spent my off track time straightening my frame because my unbending bumpers were transferring the energy to the frame, the weakest link always bends or breaks. It took me a little bit but straightening light bumpers were a lot easier than the frame

CTFR ride reports
-- 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885931
--2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980991
DJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote