User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

Oddometer: 98
1978 750 XS Special

This happened again.I found another one.And while work on the first one(75/6) has slowed to a crawl, why not entertain myself ,right? So the question is this-does anyone know anything about it?
I saw it couple month ago on local CL,called the number.Nice gentleman answered-yep,she's been sitting in my yard for a lo-ong time,belongs to my former neigbhour,he moved,time to get it off my hands.So i got in touch with the owner,asked him about p/work. He said-uh- he has to go to lic. bureau to get it.Two month later he calls back,saying he got it and if i still want the bike.So a little while later and hunnerd fifty bucks it's at my place.
EWERYTHING is stuck.Took the plugs out,they look normal.The engine is not turning by way of kickstarter.I did not forced it. Sprayed DW-40 liberally into cylinders.Let it sit overnight,se what happens.
So it all depends on what's inside the engine.I can see it with trumpet mufflers and low handlebars,othervise eweryting stock. It is a good looking bike.What say you? How to proseed? What to do?
Krantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

I can see old ispection sticker under the seat- dated 1997.In our neck of the woods it means that the bike(or a car) registration not renewed for more than a year requires mechanical inspection.Or i it's been brought from another province.So at some point it was sitting a while. There is 61K km on the clock- about 36k miles.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
That is a whole lot of work right there!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

Naw, not that much.All depends on the engine.Cosmetic stuff is easy.The question is -is it worth it? To run it- new tires, battery,mufflers, carbs rebuild, new seat.New wires and plugs.Brakes.Petcocks.Aside from the seat its about few hundred.Plus my time.
Does anyone have one of these?
They are not rare.But not coming frequently for sale.How is it to ride?
Oddly it's comfortable to seat on.I like the look of it.Give me couple days, i'll clean it up a little to have an idea if i like it enough to polish.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,314
The stuck engine will need COMPLETE dismantling to inspect and re-bore, replace rusted corroded parts. Plan on $1000 in the engine, or more.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

Just drained the oil.Contaminated by gas- dumbass po left petcocks open.Othervise no shavings,metal pieces or debries.The engine will not turn with kickstart.As much as i can see into the plug holes,no rust. So maybe it is just kickstart gear messed up.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 255
Run. Run really, really fast.

Neat bikes, but the cost of repairing these way exceeds the value of a used, running one in better condition.

I've had 2, and for a while there were no carb kits (and a few other items) to be found. Do your homework and see if you can get gaskets, rings, etc..

If you plan to re-do it, best of luck.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

Thanks for the reply.Very confidence inspiring.No plan redoing it.If it runs,i'll be happy.If not,i'll try to find used engine.
There seem to be loyal following by few dedicated fanatics,but i guess any bike would have that.Quick search shows quite a few online parts stores.I did not check availability,i will try to turn the engine first.

That's old oil and all the dirt there was there.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

Another interestin thing- how the ##$$^*& you put it on the senterstand? There is no grab handle.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 255
Sorry. Didn't mean to pee on your parade.

Put your foot on the pad and lift with the seat rail. No handle needed! Good luck!!

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krantz View Post
Thanks for the reply.Very confidence inspiring.No plan redoing it.If it runs,i'll be happy.If not,i'll try to find used engine.
There seem to be loyal following by few dedicated fanatics,but i guess any bike would have that.Quick search shows quite a few online parts stores.I did not check availability,i will try to turn the engine first.

That's old oil and all the dirt there was there.
They were/are good bikes, just that one you have there has been pissed on by mother nature for too many decades. There is a DAMNED NEAR MINT one for sale at http://www.gatecitycyclecenter.com/
I think he wants $1800 for it.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Krantz OP
OMG aka WTF

Oh, no problem, Ron.Not at all. I'm in it anyway and for not that much-150$.Space is not a concern. Time- whole winter is ahead.If i can make it run on the cheap(we all would like to do that, aren't we?)then i'll be happy.If not - maybe part it out.
So for now I'll keep at it and by the way last night i hoisted it up, put in 5th gear and yanking back and forth the engine turned.So it's free and the project continues.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krantz View Post

Oh, no problem, Ron.Not at all. I'm in it anyway and for not that much-150$.Space is not a concern. Time- whole winter is ahead.If i can make it run on the cheap(we all would like to do that, aren't we?)then i'll be happy.If not - maybe part it out.
So for now I'll keep at it and by the way last night i hoisted it up, put in 5th gear and yanking back and forth the engine turned.So it's free and the project continues.
Rock on!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,374
Back in the day a friend bought one, as everyone else had something to ride and wanted to ride too. He got along well with it until, while riding home from work , in traffic, he hit a big piece of concrete that had fallen from a truck.
The concrete broke the front wheel, sending bike and rider across the oncomning lane and the bike ended up-right wedged in some bushes. My friend suffered a broken femur that got a titanium rod through it.
After he was walking again, he fixed the bike. He replaced the swoopy handlebars with low Superbike style bars and the exhaust with a 3 into 1 pipe that really howled. He rode the bike some more before selling it. It was his only street bike.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
That is a whole lot of work right there!
Just a little bit of SeaFoam....