User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Aaen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
2013 Triumph Tiger 800xc Engine Check light

So, my new to me Tiger 800xc with about 1300km's on the bike has recently thrown a Engine management malfunction light or the check engine light which stays on all the time.

The other day I decided to remove the rear wheel and check things over on the bike and adjust the chain at the sometime, I was in a tinkering mood and wanted to get use to the new bike, so shoot me. Anyways I removed the brake calliper, abs sensor, etc. Took the wheel off put it back on, tightened the chain, etc. I got sidetracked and never got the bike started and went to go do something else, probably drink a beer or something.

Fast forward a few days and my spare key finally came in today that wasn't sent with the bike when I got it, they sent me a key to a different bike by mistake. Anyways, I toss it in the ignition and fired the bike up to make sure it worked fine. The check engine light immediately came on and remained on and the ABS light did as well while I went going for a little rip tonight. I knew immediately what I did with the ABS and that was I put the order of the parts together wrong, I stuck the shim in the wrong spot which makes the ABS sensor to close to the sensor plate or whatever it is called. I readjusted and disconnected the battery and put everything back properly and the abs light went out and they started to work again. Unfortunately the check engine light is still on and will not go off. The user manual is pointless says it is an engine management system fault and the service manual I have I am not able to find anything in it regarding what I may have done.

Figured I would throw it out there to some of you guys with the knowledge to see if there was anything that may be obvious that I am overlooking or knocked, etc. Oh I also removed the charcoal canister a few weeks back to install a sw motech centre stand but that should not cause any issue with the bike at all and hasn't been reported from what i have found as many others have done it and removed the entire system with no faults.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

I do plan on bringing it to the dealer here in a day or two if I cannot rectify the problem myself.

thanks

Steve

Aaen screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 09:19 PM
Aaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 365
The dealer can reset the light or you can do it yourself with a Tune ECU or other diagnostic tool.

Assuming the fault has been corrected, it takes 40 resets (starts) for the light to go out, took me about 500 miles.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Aaen OP
Adventurer

Hmm, I wonder if the engine light cane on because the abs sensor was malfunctioning. Going to have to read the service manual tonight to dbl check.

Regardless, I'm bringing in the bike to get it checked out

Regards

Steve
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
The ABS is used as the speed sensor. If you mess up that reading, then you'll get a check engine light for speed sensor error. The same thing can happen from too much wheel spin &/or mud.
Still need to check it out & get it turned off.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Aaen OP
Adventurer

That is probably exactly what it was. I'll get her checked out shortly.

Thanks

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
The ABS is used as the speed sensor. If you mess up that reading, then you'll get a check engine light for speed sensor error. The same thing can happen from too much wheel spin &/or mud.

Still need to check it out & get it turned off.

Regards

Steve
Old 05-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Hoping that your light problem is finished before I see if anyone knows how to turn off the digital wrench on the dash. I presume it is for service intervals but I change my own oil and would like it to disappear. Any takers???
Old 05-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Hoping that your light problem is finished before I see if anyone knows how to turn off the digital wrench on the dash. I presume it is for service intervals but I change my own oil and would like it to disappear. Any takers???
Dealertool or a the Triumph shop is the only way to do that.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Dane View Post
The dealer can reset the light or you can do it yourself with a Tune ECU or other diagnostic tool.

Assuming the fault has been corrected, it takes 40 resets (starts) for the light to go out, took me about 500 miles.
I read in the threads here you can't reset the engine light. It resets itself after several cycles of use.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
The engine management lights on Truimphs used to be 3 complete heat cycles (cold engine to fan coming on) to clear it as long as it's not a recurring fault. Those ABS sensors are fairly sensitive and there is a measurable working distance for them like valve clearances have (the range is in the official Triumph workshop manual).

The spanner is indeed the service reminder light, a dealer they can just set it to an insanely high mileage so that it just won't come on until that mileage is reached (a nice dealer might do it FOC otherwise it's a couple of minutes, most of the time would be mouse button mashing to raise the mileage limit)
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Interesting to read this. I just swapped the rear tire, put the new one on, adjusted the chain tension and went for a quick ride. After a mile or so the ABS light came on momentarily and the check engine came on and stayed on. Stopped the bike, looked things over, noticed the brake caliper assy was loose....dumbass here forgot to tighten the axle nut after adjusting the chain. Tightened the nut, but the light is still on. Hope it goes off after a few cycles.

Oh, and why is this in the Japanese bike forum?

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 05-17-2015 at 05:48 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,845
I found out at a track day class on Saturday that the fuse I removed to kill the brake light (track rules) also kills the ABS. I noticed a couple of times locking up the rear briefly as I braked for a couple of turns. Pretty much avoided using the rear brake all day, but once, when a pass had to be aborted instinct had me on the rear and made it dance a little. Happens often enough on the dirt roads that it wasn't anything unusual other than it being caused by the brake and not the engine.

Later found out the instructor was following and he casually mentioned it to me. Glad someone got to see it.

Now I get to see the Engine light for a while. Last time it probably took fifteen heat cycles before it reset.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
I read in the threads here you can't reset the engine light. It resets itself after several cycles of use.
Dealer Tool will reset the engine light.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
Black Rhino
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
My dealer resets mine for free. Well , I did by the bike from them.........
Black Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote