Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #421
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

Realistically, less than one percent of one percent of Tiger owners will ever find themselves in a position to test this for a number of reasons.

If you want to be realistic, there it is.
Do us all a favor and burn your soap box, that or put your tools down and get out of your shed. Or better yet, pretend to do some research.

More owners than not, in my area, ride more technical trails, more frequently on Tigers than any other big bike. The theoretical issue with the sump guard has so far been moot. Damage to the drain plug boss, front bracket, all four rubber mounts and significant amount of straightening of the different manufacturer guards had been done repeatedly, with no sump guard damage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bomber, I'm saying there is enough evidence to prove statistically that it HAS done the job, and done it well, under extreme riding conditions. AND that Tiger owners are out on the trails more than you can see from all your years experience.

I haven't heard of one case of, well, a cracked case, while there are lots of examples of smashed plates, broken mounts and bent brackets.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #422
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
More owners than not, in my area, ride more technical trails, more frequently on Tigers than any other big bike.
Technical single track? On a Tiger? Okay, sure. Maybe the single track isn't as technical there.

I have a DRZ for technical single track. Tried some with the KTM, but it is unwieldy on true single track due to the weight. It pushes in the turns and often can't get a good run-up for climbs. I can't imagine the Tiger being any better at it. But that is where I've encountered things like rock step-ups, fallen logs, etc. to hit with the plate. Trails would be an all-day wrestling match with a Tiger.

If, instead, you are talking about riding jeep-style double track, or just fire roads and such, and call that trails, well, okay. I can see the Tiger or the KTM doing fine there. And, rarely taking a big hit on the skid plate. I don't call that trails, maybe you do.

Perhaps we're talking apples and oranges here. Many adventure riders seem to label double track and dirt roads as "trails" and "off road" when in fact they are roads. If that is the case I can understand where you are coming from and agree that it won't be a problem for the majority of riders, as I stated before.

I bought the Tiger specifically for riding roads like this, but know it would suck on what I consider "trails" because that is out of its element. I can't see anyone taking it on the Rim Trail in Cloudcroft, NM, for example. At least not without a lot of non-riding work getting it through the tough sections. And maybe that little Warn winch attached.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 08:51 AM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #423
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Do us all a favor and burn your soap box, that or put your tools down and get out of your shed. Or better yet, pretend to do some research.

More owners than not, in my area, ride more technical trails, more frequently on Tigers than any other big bike. The theoretical issue with the sump guard has so far been moot. Damage to the drain plug boss, front bracket, all four rubber mounts and significant amount of straightening of the different manufacturer guards had been done repeatedly, with no sump guard damage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bomber, I'm saying there is enough evidence to prove statistically that it HAS done the job, and done it well, under extreme riding conditions. AND that Tiger owners are out on the trails more than you can see from all your years experience.

I haven't heard of one case of, well, a cracked case, while there are lots of examples of smashed plates, broken mounts and bent brackets.
Where is that? I love to go check these riders in action.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #424
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
And MotoTex, yes to both Woods Roads not being technical single track and Yes to actually riding Tigers on technical single track.

Granted we do ride more Hero III - III+ woods roads, but we also ride quite a bit of trails around here that we probably shouldn't. More for WTF are you doing this on a 500 pound bike than you're going to get busted.

FWIW it's usually tearing up dirt roads that does more damage than the trials

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 05-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #425
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
The Berkshire Big Bike Adventure is coming up. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948320

The hero sections are a must. Also the NETRA club that puts that on offers a DS ride later in the year. It's a small bike friendly DS route but some crazy's have been out there on their big bikes. (boinoodle) I ride the BBA and local trails on my XC here in New England. The Triumph Alloy Sump Guard is now a bash plate. The stone wall crossings and loose baby head rocks on hill climbs have been dispatched against the alloy. It is now a lovely wavy organic shape across the bottom. I don't understand why the term "Ride it like you stole it", crosses my mind when I ride this bike. All I know is that I often laugh inside my helmet at the places I navigate through. I came down a bombed out trail to find a dad and his son riding in the clearing below. They looked at me and asked, "Did you ride THAT down that trail from that hill?" LOL YUP! "#@$% we don't even take our dirt bikes on that trail."
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #426
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Bluhduh Sorry for the hijack

Considering I'm one to "remind" inmates to keep on topic, I'm feeling bad for adding fuel to the skid plate debate.

Here's my attempt at starting a thread for all things we should and shouldn't, can or can't do on a Tiger.

Feel free to continue this "Tiger owners don't ride trails" out of this awesome thread.

You CAN"T do that on a Tiger or Extreme Tiger Antics

Lord John Whorfin
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #427
Baja Dad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Okay guys let's stop the little bitch argument going on here everybody has their own opinion you guys are hijacking my thread and I don't appreciate it
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #428
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,010
I think the problem in general, is that Triumph inadvertently created a bike that is more capable than the rider in most cases. Sure, there are some minor details that were design sacrifices for sure, but jeebus, I had no idea I'd be able to and are doing a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it.

Perhaps the fun factor has instilled magical confidence in the riders to go where no BBB has gone before. Maybe it's the fact that every time I try something I succeed, or fail because I suck, not because of the bike, that forces me to try harder....

I've taken my XC up the wrong hill at Hunter Ski Area that wasn't part of the BMW course, only to stop at the top and look back to see all the other bikes laid to waste along the trail. It's those little moments of glory....
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #429
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Oddometer: 185
Mark,
Sorry it turned into yet another ego based event. My intention was to point out that your positioning the bike on the plate ought to be just fine as we have a lot of fear mongering but so far no examples of problems caused by the plates our mounts.
Tim
TufelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #430
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Okay guys let's stop the little bitch argument going on here everybody has their own opinion you guys are hijacking my thread and I don't appreciate it
Sorry, are we getting in the way of you pimping shit ? Sorry about that...not sure you've actually given anything in the way of good info have you - you've just promised lots and under-delivered even more.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #431
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Sorry, are we getting in the way of you pimping shit ? Sorry about that...not sure you've actually given anything in the way of good info have you - you've just promised lots and under-delivered even more.
And yet, somehow that justifies you acting like a childish prick??? Seems legit.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #432
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,733
Any new picks of the baja bikes? Or, dare I ask, a video?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #433
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TufelHunden View Post
And yet, somehow that justifies you acting like a childish prick??? Seems legit.
Oh please, this thread is about pimping shit and lets face it, he's provided little in the way of actual information about setting up a Tigger for out of the way riding.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #434
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Moving on! I will not respond again out of respect for the OP who has been a good guy to me and many in the Tiger community.
Semper Fi,
Tim
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #435
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Any new picks of the baja bikes? Or, dare I ask, a video?

Dare, DARE!
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote