ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,209
And even if you unable to punch any buttons if tracking is on (subscription required) there will be a location for you.
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
ramz
Professional Trail Rider
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salida, CO
Oddometer: 1,957
With tracking on (how I use it), my wife can watch my progress on all-day rides using her iPad. When she sees me heading for home, she can plan dinner in or out according to expected arrival home.

And she really likes to see the progress as it happens, knowing I'm very likely still healthy and havin fun.

I often ride alone, and I am very secure in the knowledge of what notifications I can send, as needed. I don't take chances, but anything can happen on a backcountry trail.


SPOT - don't leave home without it.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
With tracking on (how I use it), my wife can watch my progress on all-day rides using her iPad. When she sees me heading for home, she can plan dinner in or out according to expected arrival home.

And she really likes to see the progress as it happens, knowing I'm very likely still healthy and havin fun.

I often ride alone, and I am very secure in the knowledge of what notifications I can send, as needed. I don't take chances, but anything can happen on a backcountry trail.


SPOT - don't leave home without it.
+1

Sadly, that's the main reason I own and carry one.
__________________
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,349
SPOT Connect

Look into the Spot connect
Battery life is very good and you can send custom messages ( Not just the Pre-canned ones you set up)
Works over Bluetooth with your Smart phone,
Small size
You can send a message to just one person or every one on your list.
And if you do have an emergency you can tell them what's wrong,
"Broke my leg, Need assistance, No Compound Fracture, Have food and water for a few hours"
You can leave it on the bike and send your message from inside the restaurant.
( range is quite good )
Its tracking is much better than SPOT 1
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,209
If your cellphone is still charged and if the bluetooth chooses to cooperate.
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #21
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
If your cellphone is still charged and if the bluetooth chooses to cooperate.
Never had a problem with the Bluetooth
Heck I can plug my cell phone in even on my Dirt Bike for power if needed.
.
.
You can still do the SOS with out the phone,
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue
 
Little Bike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Temecula CA
Oddometer: 1,154
I bought a spot 3 about 4 weeks ago. Used tracking twice so far and working just as advertised. I received an email today for a $50 rebate if you purchased a unit between July something and November something. Of course you need the UPC label on the box.... So, if you purchase one soon make sure you have your receipt and the box.

Yeah, I didn't see any reason to keep the dumb box. Will be calling them....
__________________
In your helmet, no one can hear you scream.
Old(ish) Chick on a Bike

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WYO George's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Rolling Hills,WY
Oddometer: 402
I've been looking to get one too, I'd like for my wife to be able to keep track of when I am heading home. At least then she can make sure her boyfriend is gone before I get there, I'm tired of circling the block while I wait for him to get dressed
__________________
My lame, but photo intense day trips around Wyoming can be found here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960272
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
jeveretts OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jeveretts's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf View Post
Look into the Spot connect
Battery life is very good and you can send custom messages ( Not just the Pre-canned ones you set up)
Works over Bluetooth with your Smart phone,
Small size
You can send a message to just one person or every one on your list.
And if you do have an emergency you can tell them what's wrong,
"Broke my leg, Need assistance, No Compound Fracture, Have food and water for a few hours"
You can leave it on the bike and send your message from inside the restaurant.
( range is quite good )
Its tracking is much better than SPOT 1
Does it work if the cellphone has no coverage?
jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #25
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveretts View Post
Does it work if the cellphone has no coverage?
Yes.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
Upcoming: Heart of the West Sept 2014 Past: Two idiots and a guy on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014