Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 934
Classic Trip Bike

Alright guys, need your help.

So far I've done about 12000 kms worth of international trips on a 90s Honda Transalp the past 18 months (and lots more miles are to follow in the coming years) but I'm also planning to do a trip on a classic bike in the future.

The bike will need to have either a higher or about the same power output as the XL600V (37kW), be preferably pre-80s and have good ruggidness & dependability to boot. The question is then: what to buy?

I've been looking into the old CBs from that time which seem really nice machines, and not too hard to come by as well. The CL seems nice too, although it seems to me it's quite a bit rarer.

Any thoughts, or other bike-suggestions?
Dekatria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post

So far I've done about 12000 kms worth of international trips on a 90s Honda Transalp the past 18 months (and lots more miles are to follow in the coming years) but I'm also planning to do a trip on a classic bike in the future.

The bike will need to have either a higher or about the same power output as the XL600V (37kW), be preferably pre-80s and have good ruggidness & dependability to boot. The question is then: what to buy?

I've been looking into the old CBs from that time which seem really nice machines, and not too hard to come by as well. The CL seems nice too, although it seems to me it's quite a bit rarer.

Well, a Loop frame Moto Guzzi, of course........

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,621
One of the best old world bikes - XS650 Yamaha!!

'81 XS650 Special - 'Tourer'

'74 XS650 - 'Adventure', rare model - only one seen lately!!!!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
One of the best old world bikes - XS650
Cheers
Baza
Old? you must be joking, that is a new bike

There are all sorts of bikes out there from the 20's 30's 40's 50's and 60's, that will fill this job perfectly, you do not need a modern bike, just buy an old bike and have fun. We regularly travel to camps around Europe on bikes from the 40's, 50's and 60's.... Just do it.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Old? you must be joking, that is a new bike

There are all sorts of bikes out there from the 20's 30's 40's 50's and 60's, that will fill this job perfectly, you do not need a modern bike, just buy an old bike and have fun. We regularly travel to camps around Europe on bikes from the 40's, 50's and 60's.... Just do it.

Well, it's an old bike to some people,
Proven their worth in pounding the dirt in this country,
mind - make sure they've been rebuilt & reliable before you head off - roadside breakdowns are a bitch!!!
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Thanks for your help so far! Didn't occur to me to look at old Yamahas - they look pretty interesting as well, predominantly as they're twins as opposed to 4-cylinder bikes. Nice suggestion
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Any airhead BMW. Slash-two's work very well for trips.

A major plus is that you can run the same size tires front and rear, and interchange your wheels when the back starts to wear out.
We run 3.50x18 Shinko dual sport tires on both ends of these bikes.

caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post

It depends on what you consider "rugged". And what type of riding you like to do. If it's predominantly on pavement, with a bit of avg dirt roads, than any older GS Suzuki models are pretty tough. Stock electrical systems are a bit weak, but easily fixed. Most that are still on the road, probably have been fixed by now. GS850G being likely the best all-around one of the lot, but any of the 650 - 1100 models in either chain (E) or shaft (G) versions will work.
I also have a bit of a soft spot for older KZ650's. Good looking, good handling, pretty good power. You can also get them in 750, 900, 1000 & 1100 sizes, depending on what sort of years you were looking at. But again, I think the 650 is the nicest combination of power & handling.
I have in my garage a completely dis-assembled 82 CB900F which will be assembled as a sort of ADV touring model. Chunky tires, skid plate, I even have ammo cans to use as panniers. How reliable & rugged it will be, remains to be seen. But it's my third one of these, so I'm not too worried about running into problems I haven't seen before.
I don't know many of the older Yamaha's other than anything late 70's/early80's that ever came into the shop, usually needed brakes rebuilt (mushy master cyl), and wheel & steering head bearings. We used to stock more bearings for Yamaha's than the other three brands put together.
Baza's right, the XS650 might be one of the most unbreakable bikes ever. He would know better than most. Not a sophisticated bike and likely less power than your Transalp. But short of throwing it off a cliff, you won't hurt it.

I know a few guys with older Guzzi's that seem to just keep chugging on forever. But they are quite different to what you would be used to if you were raised on Japanese stuff like I was. In spite of that, I want one.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Don't worry McJamie, already owned an '74 850T, back in the late '70s, aiming to own another one soon I hope!!!
My choice in the 'heavyweights' of the '70s, might even consider a nice Ambassador !!
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,613
Honda CX500.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,162

If you like yamaha twins, you may want to look into the XV920RH or TR-1.
These are a variation of the Virago with enclosed chain drive and different styleing.
I picked this one up for $750 in '06 and in '09 rode it to Seattle and back in '11 after leaving the bike at my cousins.
They have a few quirks , but , are nice riding machines.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Nice suggestions again! I reckon this is going to be a tough call now...