User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Higher end touring boots

I ride all sorts of terrain, but for the next few years I will be strictly on slab (sport) touring with the emphasis on touring.

My current boots have a zipper in need of replacement and I am not sinking another dime into them even though they have taken me a lot of places over 10 years and well over 100K miles. They were sub $100, but not stiff, comfy on or off the bike, dual sport to touring, thin, cold and not weather resistant. I also have a pair of Justin work boots, but they are more of a cowboy boot cut and seem long in the toe while riding (obvious since they are no meant for riding bikes).

Looking to step up my game over the winter to a newer, possible life long boot. So far here are my options and what I am looking for. Prefer no zippers or velcro, buckles are fine. Weather resistant, but no need for waterproof as I try not to ride when it's pouring.

Seems a number of SIDI models could fit the bill just fine and maybe for less money depending on closeout, or gently used.
Aerostich Combat $370

Wesco Boss $500+
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
MakersTeleMark
(oYo)

Oddometer: 75
I absolutely love my Sidi canyon's for touring.
MakersTeleMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

^ Thanks, Revzilla has them for $360 also
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
TCX Infinity . Great boot

Mine are still waterproof after 7 years of use.
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
izzy wizzy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Daytona boots. Top quality and 100% water proof. Had mine for 3/4 years and been in awful weather and never let me down. Not cheap though but you wont regret it.
izzy wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
I'd second the Sidi Canyon boots, I love mine, but they do have Velcro.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

I guess higher end means waterproof on most I have looked into...bonus
Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
If the velcro bothers you (it still works fine on the Infinity I have) than this would be the boot for me to buy to replace the Infinity

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...gore-tex-boots

And I would buy them if I didn't score the Crossfire TA for less than that

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I have the aerostich combats and they are brilliant...BUild quality and material quality are the best i have seen.

My one bitch is no shift pad. However, I have a local cobbler who said he can sew on one for 30-50 bucks.

Just be prepaired for some foot pains as you break them in over a month or so

I use snow seal on mine and in the Pacific North Wet I have yet to get wet in them. Have not had them drenched for over an hour though...
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Touring Boots

OK, this is fine. I would love to have the Sidie.....but I wear a USA size 14. Even the Sidi 50 does not fit. SAD...:{...

I used to wear Alpinestars TECH-7 when dirt riding... Wonderful Boots!!!! But, They don't really make an equal in a touring boot.

Have the Cruiser Works in size 15.. really just really didn't like this boot, and really slippery at stop lights when your foot hits the slime in the center of the road.
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,049
Similar thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907779

I just posted that I have Falco Raids coming (pic below), should be here in a day or two and will report how they are. My thinking is they'll be slightly better than canyons and infinities for about half the price, based on reviews on webbikeworld. The distributor is blowing them out pending new inventory. Guess we'll see.

Was serious about the santiagos and combat lites, but former isn't all that supportive and latter has no armor. Both are stupid expensive.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Fastman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm wearing a pair of Sidi Tour Gore-Tex and would recommend them. They replaced a 12-year old pair of BMW touring boots that were similar in look, but the Sidis are more waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Signed, Anonymous

Fastman screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 05:08 PM
Fastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Similar thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907779

I just posted that I have Falco Raids coming (pic below), should be here in a day or two and will report how they are. My thinking is they'll be slightly better than canyons and infinities for about half the price, based on reviews on webbikeworld. The distributor is blowing them out pending new inventory. Guess we'll see.

Was serious about the santiagos and combat lites, but former isn't all that supportive and latter has no armor. Both are stupid expensive.

They compare them to the Sidi Onroad,not the Canyon. The Canyon is a little more offroad oriented than the Onroad or this Raid and is shorter, has a plastic shin plate and buckle closure. That being said, these Raid boots look like a fantastic deal for someone looking at the Onroads. I was torn between the Onroad and Canyon, and opted for the Canyon only because I didn't know how long that Velcro closing straps would last. Having owned Sidi Adventures, I know the buckles are pretty durable.

To the OP, most boot manufacturers use Velcro on their boots nowadays. I wouldn't rule them out. Most just use the Velcro to secure the top calf part of the boot and it's not used to tighten you into the boot if that makes any sense. The Sidi Onroad does use Velcro that way and that's what turned me off from them. However, I'm sure it lasts a long time and could be repaired/replaced by Sidi. I wear my boots everyday for commuting and know how Velcro barely lasts a year for me under hard use, so I went with a buckle strapped boot.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
To the OP, most boot manufacturers use Velcro on their boots nowadays. I wouldn't rule them out. Most just use the Velcro to secure the top calf part of the boot and it's not used to tighten you into the boot if that makes any sense. The Sidi Onroad does use Velcro that way and that's what turned me off from them. However, I'm sure it lasts a long time and could be repaired/replaced by Sidi. I wear my boots everyday for commuting and know how Velcro barely lasts a year for me under hard use, so I went with a buckle strapped boot.
This..

I don't mind velcro at the top but I damn sure want a buckle at the bottom to tighten the boot on nice and snug. Love the laces behing the velco on the combats..they are not coming off and are much easier to fix than velcro.

Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
There was a guy on here a couple of years back who took the velcro off his CT and added buckles. Very nice setup I must say. That said, although I prefer a buckle, the velcro on my CT are working fine. Swap out the stock string with paracord and much easier to cinch up.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote