Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #16
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Actually, not quite true. Visited every wrecker in Sydney, bar one. Had a look at their website tonight and it seems they have (or had) not one, but two 19" spoked twin disc wheels.
One on a R1150GS BMW, and one on a late 90's XV1100 Yamaha. I didn't realise that some of the XV's came with spoked wheels. And the XV wheel is tubeless!
On the phone first thing tomorrow.
Also chasing one of these if anyones got one laying around.

Versys handlebar riser.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
I thought of that Beezer, but lm not equipped to do that sort of machining.
Had a win and a loss today.
Got my bent fork and triple clamps straightened today for just $120.
Also visited every wrecker in Sydney and wasnt able to find a 19" spoked twin disc front wheel anywhere. Bummer.
From my experience, sometimes spending a little coin with a machinist or welder saves a lot of work and money down the road.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I know Sailah, I just like to keep things in house as much as possible.
I really like the twin disc front end so Im planning on keeping it at this stage.
Rang the wrecker this morning and of course the XV1100 wheel and the R1150GS wheels were gone. They do however have a Honda Transalp 19 incher, but they want $350 for it! Bit bloody rude i reckon. Might offer them $250 and see what happens.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #19
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well l found some handlebar risers, in Germany! Should be here in a week or two. Also checked the tracking number on my tank and its currently in Hawaii. Half its luck. Im planning to replace the original Versys headlight/windscreen with the twin headlight/windscreen combo currently on my XL600.

Coat of orange paint and l think it'll look the ducks guts, and save me at least $500 replacing the original headlight.

Homerb screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 04:18 AM
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well my orange tank arrived from the USA, only it wasn't orange but red!
What I bought.

What I got

Doesn't look much different but the bottom tank is bright red.
Doesn't matter though, as I really like the colour and am going to use a red/matt black colour scheme, instead of the original orange.
This is how it looks at the moment.

Fuels in the tank and it starts and runs beautifully. Just waiting on the handlebar risers to arrive.
Still trying to find a 19 inch spoked twin disc front wheel. Ive contacted almost every bike wrecker in Australia without almost no luck.
Was quoted $440 for a Triumph Tiger wheel in Brisbane, but I can buy cheaper overseas even allowing for freight.
Im looking at a wheel from a 1975 Honda Goldwing at the moment. Alloy rim and a few for sale on ebay.com
Planning to fit 650 V strom handlebars as I prefer their shape to the original Versys bars, which are bent anyway.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a 19 inch front wheel off a HD Sportster of alll things! Good condition and $225 delivered from the US. I'll have to drill and tap disc mounting holes in one side but that
shouldn't be too difficult.
Now to find a 17 inch for the rear.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
Bart1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Will be watching this with interest, how about a Triumph 955 front wheel, 19" twin disc.....

I did a Versys fork extension on mine last year, they were extened about 30mm but the stock springs cannot cope with all that travel, I ahd thought of replacing the spacers with a piece of cut down spring.
However I have since bought a Versys that has already been done.

I have pics of the fork inners if you want.
Bart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #23
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Bart, tried to get a Triumph tiger front wheel but rare as rocking horse poo here, and very pricey if you can find one.
For less than half what the Tiger wheel would cost me, I got the Sportster wheel delivered.
I found your article about extending the fork travel on versys.com. Very interesting. Planning on doing something similar. I was going to extend the damper rods until l discovered that the right rod is hollow to allow for the rebound dampening control rod. I'll probably go the way you did extending the bottom of the damper rods. Ive got another set of longer springs out of * Honda XLR250, which appear to be the same diameter, thickness and pitch as the Versys springs so l might cut them up and do some experimenting when l get it back on the road.
When you say you bought a Versys already done, what was done to the forks exactly?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Bart1
Adventurer

A guy over here basicaly built a Adventure Versys as someone did in the States, he spent loads on it, more than the bikes value but then had a job offer in the States so had to sell.

It has Traxxion Dynamics fork cartidges with 200mm of travel, Elka custom shock, Excell wheels the list is endless. It needs a bit of fettling yet but I am getting there.

Why arn't you doing DRZ forks as JD has ?

One thing I was not happy with with my own fork extension was the method of attaching the extra bit, I brazed it but if doing it again I would have one piece of tube machined up with a step at the top so this would slide over the bottom of the cartridge and spot weld it, unless someone else has a better solution.

You might also like to consider the effects of the change in trail when going from a 17" to 19" wheels, as far as I can work out the trail is greater with the standard forks but is less than standard with the DRZ forks.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #25
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, l really like your Versys Bart. Thats sort of what im aiming at but plan on doing it a lot cheaper l hope.
I got a 17" spoked wheel yesterday from a Yamaha XTZ660.
Its a pretty close fit to the Versys. Had to do a bit of machining to get it all lined up but so far so good.
I'll post some pics when the front wheel turns up.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
Bart1
Adventurer

Not heard of a XTZ wheel in a V, sounds interesting.

I was lucky to get a good deal on my V and am looking forward to doing a trip on it next year, planning....planning...
Old 11-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The biggest hassle was having to use the 17mm XTZ axle in the Versys swingarm. I ended up making some shims to fit to the brake caliper bracket and the two adjusting blocks. I.
I just cut some 19mm steel tubing to length, split it and bent it open and slid it into the the backet and blocks. It works pretty good.
One small problem is that there is supposed to be a spacer between the bearings in the hub and the cush drive. Trouble is its missing on the wheel l bought and wouldn't you know it, its no longer available from Yamaha. I'll be spending a few hours in the garage today trying to make one. Trouble is l dont know the correct length. Trial and error time.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #28
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, so the back wheel is in, tyre is on and is all ready to go. I'll fit a new wave disc when it arrives and new pads as well.

The 1999 XTZ660 rear wheel is a pretty close fit. The XTZ disc is about 3mm further out than the Versys disc, but by moving the caliper out 3mm it should work well.

Next step is the shock. i bought what I thought was an R1 shock off gumtree, only when I got it home and had a close look at it, it was never going to fit. Turns out its actually an R6 shock!

As you can see the top mount is totally different to the Versys mount. Bugger. It only cost me $35, so I thought I'd have a go at making it fit, anyway.
Drilled and bolted a 30mm x 30mm x 75mm block of alloy to the mount, and it all seems to be working alright.

Also because the new shock is about an inch longer than the Versys shock, its raised the rear end a bit too.

Also, my new front wheel arrived today, finally from the US.

Trouble is, I cocked up big time. I thought the rim was alloy, only when I unwrap it, its chromed steel and weighs a bloody ton.
Still, Ive ordered new bearings so I can used the 20mm Versys axle in it and I'll use it until I find something more suitable.
I've still got to drill and tap 5 holes in the blank side to fit the second disc, and make some adaptor plates out of 8mm alloy so I can fit the 6 hole 300mm Versys discs to the 5 hole sportster hub.
I feel a big day on the tools coming tomorrow to get the front wheel and brakes sorted.
Unfortunately, Im still waiting for my handlebar risers to arrive from Germany. They were posted on November 4th, spent 11 days visiting 5 different cities in Germania, before departing the country on the 15th for Australia, and thats where the trail runs cold. Two weeks have passed and they should be here by now, and without handlbars on the bike I'm going nowhere.
Still got to paint the front fender, headlight surround/fairing and work out what to do with the tank, but I've got a few ideas.

Also picked up a used ER6 taillight from the wreckers for $75, saving me over $100 on a new Versys light. Bit of fiddling to get it to fit, but it should look good.

To be continued. (if the bloody risers ever arrive)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
Bart1
Adventurer

Making good progress there.

Re the top shock mount, would it be possible to rotate the top of the shock 90deg and therefore be able to reduce the extension a bit. Ir if you have very long legs then no problem..
Old 11-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"Re the top shock mount, would it be possible to rotate the top of the shock 90deg and therefore be able to reduce the extension a bit. Ir if you have very long legs then no problem."

Not as it stands Bart. I actually made the 30mm x 30mm block out of three 10mm x 30mm pieces, as I couldn't find any 30 x 30. If I find it too high I may have to used your idea and remake the adapter out of a single piece so I can drill the holes at 90 degrees to each other. Great idea by the way, cos Ive got short fat legs!