Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #32
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
While on the road, I spend about $30 a day on average. EVEN IN EUROPE.
I spend more than that on fuel! Although I will say that my daily expenses in Europe tend to be lower than in the US and Canada.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #33
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
It's times like this that show why a 250 is the proper choice
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I spend more than that on fuel! Although I will say that my daily expenses in Europe tend to be lower than in the US and Canada.
Again, smaller is better
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #34
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 139
Hi Elisa,
Glad to see you're enjoying our corner of the world. Althought Melbournes weather would be testing the determination of motorcyclists for the last few days - I think the weather gods have lost their calendar! It is supposed to be spring time, winter was a few months ago.....
Take the advice of those who suggest delaying heading north until a bit later, The Wet up there is very unpleasant.
Tassie in the summer would be magical!
Keep posting, and enjoy the ride.
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #35
Haven't Ben There
searcher

Oddometer: 25
Travelbugblues, I am really enjoying your RR. Do not worry about all the nay sayers, I had some tell me my 650 nighthawk was to small to do a road trip on. I have learned here and a couple other places it is the rider much more than the bike. Enjoy your adventure and congrats on learning to do your own maintenance. It is very rewarding to know you can do things yourself. And thank you for being willing to teach our next generation, you will have some awesome stories to tell them. Take care and ride safe.
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #36
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
Thanks Zoro! I've heard that from so many people now that I guess I should heed the warnings... I was hoping to head up to Darwin in February and ship my bike to East Timor/Indonesia, but everyone says to wait! Guess I'll have to kill some time in NZ or Tasmania instead :) Oh darn!
No NO NO no, Thats a terrible idea. It will be fine in Feb!! (at least I hope so because thats my plan! and Id love some company haha) As far as I understand it the main road stays open to Darwin all year round. Some body tell me Im wrong?

Same goes here free camping spot near the beach on the sunshine coast QLD when you get here.
250s are fine I've had lots of bikes, favorite was 110cc followed closely by a 125cc both Chinese made and both 300$ come to think of it
Take care..........well not to much. Shane
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #37
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
No NO NO no, Thats a terrible idea. It will be fine in Feb!! (at least I hope so because thats my plan! and Id love some company haha) As far as I understand it the main road stays open to Darwin all year round. Some body tell me Im wrong?

Same goes here free camping spot near the beach on the sunshine coast QLD when you get here.
250s are fine I've had lots of bikes, favorite was 110cc followed closely by a 125cc both Chinese made and both 300$ come to think of it
Take care..........well not to much. Shane
Shane, the Stuart Hwy can get cut off in a few spots, Katherine river has a tendency to block things off occasionally that time of year.
I guarantee it will be hosing down up here in Feb.
Barkley Hwy can also run over the road and create issues.
99% of Kakadu will be closed, lots of good riding in there. Coppers usually place road closed/ warning signs and if you get caught going through them you will be fined.
If you did get through it might take another couple of hrs of decent rain and you could find yourself stuck for a week with 2-3 days worth of food/ clean water.

Travelbugblues, I would be hanging around in the south for as much of our Summer as you can, Tassy would be a perfect
place to go and explore this time of year.
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #38
Deah
WonderingButNotLost

Oddometer: 61
Awesome report!

Take me with you!
Deah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,743
Hi
When will we expect to see you in WA ? (Western Australia)

Cheers Ed
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,473
hot trip, hot bike, hot girl? One of them would have been enough to hook me, I'm in
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #41
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,427
Fantastic Another good ride report for me to follow. I'll never get to see that part of the world except through the fine pictures and reports such as yours.
Guess the smallest bike I've traveled on was a DR350SE. Have played quite abit in the Ozarks of Arkansas on an XT 225 Yamaha and loved it greatly.
Thanks for the work and time to share your adventure with us.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #42
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Always good to see a report that reminds us that to recognize that our "requirements" for a big bike, tons of gear, etc are really "desirements" and that we CAN make that ride with less gear on a smaller, much cheaper bike. Substance (the ride) over style (big bike w/ all the goodies) perhaps. Great report so far -- keep the updates coming. Also, you allude to riding you've done in Europe.....any reports on those rides floating around the web?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #43
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Always good to see a report that reminds us that to recognize that our "requirements" for a big bike, tons of gear, etc are really "desirements"
Ayuh - I remember fondly a Honda 350SL that I rode all over Oklahoma and vicinity. Seemed to be the proper size at the time - looking back, it still does.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #44
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Shane, the Stuart Hwy can get cut off in a few spots, Katherine river has a tendency to block things off occasionally that time of year.
I guarantee it will be hosing down up here in Feb.
Barkley Hwy can also run over the road and create issues.
99% of Kakadu will be closed, lots of good riding in there. Coppers usually place road closed/ warning signs and if you get caught going through them you will be fined.
If you did get through it might take another couple of hrs of decent rain and you could find yourself stuck for a week with 2-3 days worth of food/ clean water.

Travelbugblues, I would be hanging around in the south for as much of our Summer as you can, Tassy would be a perfect
place to go and explore this time of year.
Thanks mate PM sent so as to not hijack this thread or if your interested Ill post it up Travelbugblues ? great name BTW
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #45
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Always good to see a report that reminds us that to recognize that our "requirements" for a big bike, tons of gear, etc are really "desirements" and that we CAN make that ride with less gear on a smaller, much cheaper bike. Substance (the ride) over style (big bike w/ all the goodies) perhaps. Great report so far -- keep the updates coming. Also, you allude to riding you've done in Europe.....any reports on those rides floating around the web?
Yes! I have a 3 part series on my blog (see link below) called European Motorcycle Madness. I don't think the reports are great, but the trip was amazing!

And yes, we certainly can have a grand time with much less. Sometimes an even better time!

I did an 800km hike a couple of times (through Spain and France and the Camino de Santiago), and on the first day, I met a girl my size with a 40lb pack. Mine was 16lbs dry, which included THREE books and a journal. It was outrageous, and there was just no way she was going to get all that shit across a country. I passed her quickly, but I'm sure she was dropping her luxuries off at every opportunity.

On another hike on part of the PCT in the Cascade Range in Washington State, I met a group of 5 travellers from Colorado with 50lb packs each. They were sharing food, tents, cook ware, so who knows what they had in there... Mine was 35lbs, and I had no one to divvy up the extras with, and that was still considered pretty heavy. They tried and tried to pawn food off on me the day I was with them!

Definitely shows that across the board, travellers often just have too much stuff with them. But don't get me wrong- I have my luxuries! I just choose carefully. I'm a girl, and like to feel a little feminine sometimes, so I do have a skirt, nicer shoes than just my boots, a tiny bit of makeup, hairbrush, etc. But, I had to rearrange both panniers to fit my coffee percolator and books (War and Peace, guidebook, and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), taking out half the clothes I had thought to bring with me. My boyfriend said, "why don't you just not bring the coffee?" Uh, no way, boyfriend. Priorities are priorities. Although I will admit, I am trying to now break my coffee addiction...
But the books stay!
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote