Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #61
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinko123 View Post
I love your blog and am glad to hear you took the ferry to the peninsula, did you see the seals as you crossed.
my trip home from Cavendish was via Lake Boga Catalina base and then spent the night at Echuca and then home to near Orange by 6.30 monday night.
regards
Darren

Hi Darren!

No, no seals! Had a great ride though. Took it pretty slowly and saw a lot on the way! Had a great time at the Horizons Unlimited event. So many good people!
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #62
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update: Melbourne!

I spent a great couple of days in Mt. Martha on the Mornington Peninsula hanging out with Rachel, a girl I met at the Horizons Unlimited event. Her goal is to ride around Southeast Asia on a motorbike starting in July 2014. The only problem is, she's never ridden one! Ah, girl after my own heart! We became good friends and I spent some time on a dirt road with her, sending her through a small course on my Sherpa and having a great time.

After some much needed girl time, green smoothies and great dinners, I received an invitation to stay in Middle Park, in Melbourne, from an old friend of my sister's who I haven't seen since I was 6 years old. It was a great opportunity to reconnect with long lost friends, and to see the city, which I was totally impressed with. Gorgeous buildings that remind me so much of Europe, all built during the Victorian gold rush of the 1800s, if I remember correctly. The city was chic, modern, historic, charming and alternative all in one.

The alleyways were just amazing, full of art, culture, cafes and great food. My budget took a bit of a hit, but it was well worth it and a very relaxing few days.

Riding into the city was surprisingly easy, but riding out was a total nightmare and I'll admit to having some pretty bad barely contained road-rage due to some idiot P plate boys and an old lady who grazed my panniers, not to mention the horrendous traffic. It's 2nd only to London as one of the places I never want to ride through again. Crazy yellow dotted lines on both sides of the road, weird turn lanes in the middle of the intersection, and slightly scary tram lines. I had to remind myself several times that I wasn't on my bicycle, and that my tire wouldn't actually get stuck in the crack... A road bicyclists worst nightmare, at least mine!

But the next few hours were a total delight. I started off on the Maroondah highway going through the Yarra Ranges national park, which I think was a rainforest. Someone please correct me there if I'm wrong. I think I saw a T-rex in the ferns. You know you're on a good road when you see signs with a picture of a motorcycle and the words "extreme risk" or something like that. "Look bike" was a pretty good one, too!

I made my way about 400km up to Rob and Kath's place in Wodonga. I met them at the Horizons Unlimited Cavendish event, and to my delight, Kath was riding a Sherpa. It was the largest Sherpa girl-gathering in all the land (2), plus Rob's KLR.

The best part of solo traveling is all the people you meet along the way. The generosity and kindness is just amazing, and connects you to the places you visit more than anything else.

I left Rob and Kath after being taken to a big motorcycle event in the area, enjoying great vegan pizzas, new friendships, and even a power port for my GPS and cellphone. No more getting stranded with no technology! Ah, how times are changing. It's bittersweet- as a geography major, I love maps, but it sucks getting stuck with no idea where you are, and no way of calling anyone.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #63
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Thanks for the in-depth look at the 'stuff' It's the nitty gritty of rides like this that fascinate me.

How come you carry books rather than a tablet/kindle or ebooks on your laptop? Do you just like the tactile feel of it? Seems like a big weight savings you could have. (course the only real problems I've ever had on trips were related to charging stuff, hard to discharge a book I guess)
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #64
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Thanks for the in-depth look at the 'stuff' It's the nitty gritty of rides like this that fascinate me.

How come you carry books rather than a tablet/kindle or ebooks on your laptop? Do you just like the tactile feel of it? Seems like a big weight savings you could have. (course the only real problems I've ever had on trips were related to charging stuff, hard to discharge a book I guess)
Yes, that's one reason. I read a lot, so when the Kindle dies, I'm stranded with no book. I was finishing the last term of my master's degree last year while riding around Europe (saved my online courses for the end), so I actually had a small laptop and a Kindle with me, which I put my textbooks on. I still had to carry a textbook or two, but better than 5... Basically, I'd rather take less clothes or food than ditch the books. Depending on where you're traveling, getting books in English can be a real challenge. Obviously not in Australia...
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #65
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update: Canberra and beyond!

After a non-eventful and dull ride up the Hume Hwy from Wodonga to Canberra (minus seeing dozens of mashed kangaroos on the highway- disgusting and sad), I'm enjoying a short 5 day rest with my honey in Canberra, before heading to the Snowy Mountains, South Coast, and down to Tasmania by mid-November through December. I'll be giving the saddle a short break as I hike both the Overland Track (Australia's most famous trail), and the South Coast Track (one of the wildest, complete with getting dropped off by tiny airplane in the middle of the Southwest National Park), along with a couple shorter hikes. In total, it'll be about 100 miles of wilderness camping and hiking. As much as I love motorcycling, my body will thank me for some much needed serious exercise!

Here are a few pictures from the last month, many compliments from the Postie Corse crew, Tommo and Guy:

Wildlife everywhere: Rule #1, don't ride at dusk or dawn in order to avoid hitting a kangaroo. And for those that say, "that never happens", well, it happened to my boyfriend while he was riding over 100km an hour.

Empty roads for miles and miles:

Travelbugblues screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 11:40 PM
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #66
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thredbo or Bust

This is my year of travel, so after 4 days visiting my boyfriend in Canberra, I was off to explore the Snowy Mountains. A month prior, I met a woman named Jacqui at the Cavendish Horizons Unlimited event. She was planning a trip around Australia on a Postie with a few others. I met the Postie crew on their way through Canberra and then periodically en route to Thredbo, via Cooma and Jindabyne in the Snowy Mountains. Jacqui had invited me to stay with them for two days in the cabin they’d booked, which sounded like a great time.

On the way there, I started noticing dozens, and then hundreds of motorcycles. Turned out they were all headed to Thredbo too, for the Snowy Ride, a yearly motorcycle event in support of the Steven Walter Children’s Cancer Foundation. I bid farewell to the idea of a quiet retreat in the mountains, but was glad the noise of thousands of motorcycles was at least for a good cause. I didn’t join in the group ride, as I’m just more comfortable riding solo or with only a small group. Besides, the bikes there were all big beasts, and I don’t think my stealthy little Sherpa would keep up!

http://www.snowyride.org.au/

Since I have an upcoming 2-3 week backpacking trip planned for Tasmania mid-November, it was time to get some serious exercise. On our second day in Thredbo, to the sound of thousands of motorcycles revving their engines and zooming around town, I started my hike up to the summit of Australia’s highest peak, Mt. Kosciusko.

I needed to get back in shape, and fast, so I began the hike from the village, instead of taking the chairlift half way to the top. The first 4km were the most grueling; a set of stairs led up the hillside to where the chairlift drops people off. From there it was another 6.5km to the summit, an easy stroll through beautiful alpine wilderness and patches of snow.

In total it was a 21km (13 mile) round trip hike, and to keep my heart rate up, I had my timer going. I did it in 5 hours and 16 minutes, and was pretty exhausted by the end.

Back at the chalet that evening, I enjoyed the company of many other motorcyclists over a red curry dinner I made for everyone, and chatted away with Belle and Nadine, known as the Gobi Gals for their trip from London to Mongolia last year on two Chinese 110cc scooters. It’s a trip I’ve been seriously considering for me and my Sherpa, so it was a real treat to get an inside (girl’s) scoop.

The next day I set off for a 400km ride to Moruya, via Bega on the South Coast of New South Wales. The wind was blowing hard through the golden fields at the top of the Great Dividing Range, but at this point in the adventure, I was already pretty accustomed to handling high winds on my little 250cc. I made good time, and was happy to arrive at my boyfriend's mom’s place, where we’ll be hanging out for the next week, taking care of the dogs and cats while they're away.

Next up: heading down to Tasmania! I won’t have another trip report for a while since this will be a week of rest, but I look forward to comments or suggestions.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #67
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I'm in. As a father and grandfather of a couple of girls, I enjoy strong
willed and competent females.

Ride on.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #68
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112
Let us know when you hit Tassie. Be great to meet up for a ride.
Do you have somewhere to store the bike while you are doing the south coast track?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #69
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I really like this picture.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #70
casalinda
casalinda

Oddometer: 6
Hi
My name is Linda and I live in Port Lincoln South Australia. I have a Sherpa I bought in USA and have brought over here. If you are anywhere near me, on the Eyre Peninsular do come for a visit, would love to meet you' ph. 0467604711
good luck on your travels wherever.
casalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #71
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you!

Thanks for the messages! I've actually left my bike on the mainland as I'm now in the hiking portion of my trip. Just did the Overland Track (110km including all the side trails), and leaving for the South Coast track on Friday! Details on my blog, below. I won't post them here since it isn't motorcycle specific :)

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #72
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I cant imagine ever walking that far, that's amazing.

Some great pics on your blog, I'm keen to get down that way next year and spend some time riding the many and varied tracks that are on offer in Tassy and checking out the scenery, looks awesome to say the least.

Hurry up and get back on the bike, all this walking is making me tired..
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #73
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
If it's the journey that matters more than the ride, a reliable easily managed bike that can cover all terrain is more important than style and high performance. Been there, done that in several countries (but not yet Australia) on quarter litre bikes and smaller, with a sheepskin rug on the saddle too.

Go for it, enjoy the adventure.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #74
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Making YOU tired!! You're telling me! I'm beat. 192km in the last two weeks on my own two feet. Just got back from the South Coast Track where I was knee (and sometimes higher) deep in mud and leeches. It's time for a celebratory beer, a good rest, and then I'll pack my bags and head for the Freycinet Peninsula circuit. A 2-3 day 30km hike, short and easy in comparison. Then I'm Seattle-Bound for Christmas and a visit with the family before heading back to Australia (and Tasmania again!) for a few months. I'm hoping to substitute teach here in Tassy for 3-4 months while planning and preparing for my next big overland motorcycle adventure. It'll give me a chance to earn a bit of income while having plenty of days off to explore the area with my bike (and do some more hikes!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
I cant imagine ever walking that far, that's amazing.

Some great pics on your blog, I'm keen to get down that way next year and spend some time riding the many and varied tracks that are on offer in Tassy and checking out the scenery, looks awesome to say the least.

Hurry up and get back on the bike, all this walking is making me tired..
Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #75
Redkrouge
Independent

Oddometer: 118
Bravo

I love Australia and traveling light

Your RR rock, I love it

The Odessa File
Four days off on the roads of Switzerland
Redkrouge is offline   Reply With Quote