Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #61
ClipDragon
Velocitas Eradico

Oddometer: 35
Provisional 2014 FIM Superbike World Championship Schedule Released; Laguna Seca Round Conflicts With AMA Pro Superbike At Mid-Ohio (Updated)

The provisional 2014 FIM Superbike World Championship schedule includes a tentative round at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca that conflicts with an AMA Pro Superbike round at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The two events on the weekend of July 12-13 are far apart in distance, so geographic proximity forcing spectators to chose one or the other isn't a problem. The problem is that when the final version is released, the 2014 AMA Pro Superbike schedule is likely to include a third fewer venues than it did in 2013, based on a survey of racetrack operators conducted by Roadracing World. Which means AMA Pro Superbike teams committed to the AMA Pro Series but also interested in entering World Superbike to boost TV exposure and shore up sponsorship support won't be able to do so.

Instead, teams will have to choose between one or the other--AMA Pro Superbike at Mid-Ohio or World Superbike at Laguna Seca.

The conflict also brings into question what Laguna Seca will run as support classes. According to FIM regulations, anything running with World Superbike has to be sanctioned by the FIM Federation in the United States, i.e., the AMA, but AMA can't sanction any purse-paying road race that isn't run by AMA Pro. The last time the track tried to run a non-AMA Pro event as a support race, it went wacky over the issue of purse money.

Stay tuned. This one is likely to get messy.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...dule-released/

ClipDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #62
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Does WSS pay a purse? I thought purses were a thing of the past in international moto road racing.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #63
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
How can the corporate world take AMA/DMG racing seriously when four months before the season opener, there still isn't a complete schedule to announce. Sad, very sad.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #64
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Will wss be at laguna?
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #65
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Interesting factoid; BSB doesn't pay prize money. At all. This is not a bug, it's a feature. So if somebody wanted to run a BSB round at Laguna Seca, there would be no problem... well, no problem with not being allowed to pay a purse to the winners, anyway... I can forsee many other potential problems, but not that one...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #66
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,299
Looks like DMG has issued a release on rules and future class configurations: http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/news/index.cfm?cid=58808

It sounds like they want to go to the WSBK package eventually. With some of the more well funded teams defecting, maybe that is too little too late.

They are also combining the east and west series, I wonder if that is due to low bike counts?

H-D is racing a bike they no longer sell?

Still no full schedule.

Last paragraph is a laugher.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #67
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

I think the proposed Superbike rules are to align with WSBK, BSB and the European championships. Makes sense. The XR1200 Series is funded almost exclusively by Vance & Hines not HD. Vance & Hines sells the race kit, pays the purse and generous points fund, does promotion and supplies some gear to the riders. V&H use the series to market to their cruiser customers and it brings money into the paddock. It must work as V&H keep supporting it. Doesn't matter is HD is no longer selling the bike, HD isn't using the series to sell bikes or much of anything else, AFAIK.

SuperSport grids were healthier than the DSB grids last season. Both series are being combined into a single 600 class for 2015 so I can see dumping the East/West Championships. The "small-bore" series they mention in the press release is something DMG has been trying to do for several years with no success. They probably want a spec series with OEM money behind it like the Honda 500 series in Europe. Good luck with that.

Without a healthier schedule (as you mentioned) and a good TV package, even the best domestic class structure in the world won't matter.

DogBoy screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 09:33 PM
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #68
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
http://www.cyclenews.com/585/22694/R...-for-2014.aspx

Lets hope this kid gets to race where he can get some exposure, also.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #69
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
http://www.cyclenews.com/585/22694/R...-for-2014.aspx

Lets hope this kid gets to race where he can get some exposure, also.
This kid has a bright future, unfortunately, I don't think the exposure he needs will be found racing in America.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #70
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
he needs to get into moto 2 after next year, waiting will only hurt him if he wants to be on the world stage.
and yes, right now, the ama is NOT a stepping stone to motogp, unlike a few years ago, these kids need to get over there ASAP.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #71
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
He has already raced a few seasons in the Red Bull Rookies cup on the world stage. Those people know who he is.

Three weekends of racing in the US isn't going to amount to shit.

Dorna is and will be looking for American talent to bring along. They have to have their eyes on him.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in DSB.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #72
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
Is this a second seat on the Hammer team or is it just Roberts.

Maybe the Honda will be better this eason, but it was definitely slower than the GSX-R they raced before. This may be enough to get Roberts into Moto2 2015 or 2016. From that perspective it might be good to be on a Honda.

Edit: I forgot, they are running Jake Zemke too, so Westby must be out or maybe they field a Superbike for him.

Quote:
He has already raced a few seasons in the Red Bull Rookies cup on the world stage. Those people know who he is.

Dorna is and will be looking for American talent to bring along. They have to have their eyes on him.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in DSB.

Pantah screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 12:22 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #73
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
Quote:
Hey, it's four weekends now!

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #74
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Is this a second seat on the Hammer team or is it just Roberts.

Maybe the Honda will be better this eason, but it was definitely slower than the GSX-R they raced before. This may be enough to get Roberts into Moto2 2015 or 2016. From that perspective it might be good to be on a Honda.

Edit: I forgot, they are running Jake Zemke too, so Westby must be out or maybe they field a Superbike for him.

I think Westby had trouble coming back from a really big crash at Daytona and wasn't 100% all year, which may have been the deciding factor in his results instead of the bike. Roberts showed the Honda can work in Supersport trim.

I'm hesitant to call Roberts the next big thing...yet. Roberts did a very good job dominating other teenagers and shows a lot of promise. But look at Nicky Hayden at sixteen and seventeen years old racing against established Superbike stars in a very stacked supersport class. Thats world championship talent.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #75
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
Oh yeah, maybe you are right about Westby. He won once I think. Meanwhile, Roberts was as quick as Buby and Gerloff at a couple of those meets. Gerloff was as fast as the two Daytona YES Yamaha's at his debut NJMP 2011. First time he ever saw the track too. So Maybe Roberts has something. Speaking of lap times as they were in the lower 600 class. I think the bike specs are the same, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I think Westby had trouble coming back from a really big crash at Daytona and wasn't 100% all year, which may have been the deciding factor in his results instead of the bike. Roberts showed the Honda can work in Supersport trim.

I'm hesitant to call Roberts the next big thing...yet. Roberts did a very good job dominating other teenagers and shows a lot of promise. But look at Nicky Hayden at sixteen and seventeen years old racing against established Superbike stars in a very stacked supersport class. Thats world championship talent.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote