Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #76
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Is this a second seat on the Hammer team or is it just Roberts.

Maybe the Honda will be better this eason, but it was definitely slower than the GSX-R they raced before. This may be enough to get Roberts into Moto2 2015 or 2016. From that perspective it might be good to be on a Honda.

Edit: I forgot, they are running Jake Zemke too, so Westby must be out or maybe they field a Superbike for him.
To be honest, I haven't been paying too much attention.

The Honda tie in with Team Hammer can only be good for his Moto 2 prospects, though. If I were Am. Honda or HRC, I would be paying for a patch on Roberts' leathers, maybe seeing that a few really choice parts got left in his garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #77
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,200
Could it possibly get any worse for the AMA/DMG pro racing series? Have they lost their primary sponsor?

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...l-series-logo/
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #78
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,321
OMG Please...somebody put a stake through the heart of this fuckin thing already? Stop the embarrassment and sell the name to somebody who can do something with it...please, DMG? You've killed it...job done. Give away the corpse and go away.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #79
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
If there were no bad news there'd be no news at all. Sad state of affairs indeed.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #80
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
I guess I'm just as sane, or crazy, as Mark Gardiner.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/811/17...ro-Racing.aspx

Quote:
All of which leads me to A New Year’s Resolution for AMA Pro Racing: Reunify the Grand National Championship. Merge the Superbike series with an edited GNC Flat Track schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Nothing else to talk about in this thread so how about some genuine offseason nonsense?

With the motorcycle market still suffering and so many other places for fans to spend money, I don't see either AMA Pro Road Racing or AMA Pro Flat Track returning to their glory days anytime soon, if ever. I propose the AMA combine the the road racing and flat track championships along the lines of the old Grand National Championship. Both disciplines are struggling to put together full schedules. Both need more participants, more money, more events, more fans and televison viewers.

Short list of pros:
- More events
- Much of the top talent in road racing has dirt track experience
- Could possibly kick-start interest from ostracized fan base(s).
- Existing road racing and flat track teams could join forces to share costs/expertise
- Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, KTM brands are represented in both series. Yamaha could suggest using their new 700cc parallel twin
- Maybe a place for Pro Supermoto among with the short track/TT singles events (really, really dreaming here but I LOVE supermoto)

Short list of cons:
- Class structure could be too confusing for attention-deficit America
- Limited road race experience for much of the top flat track talent
- No place for HD on the road race side (BIG problem)
- Existing teams would not want to share resources or give up control of any aspect of their programs and building a new set of bikes for the "other half" of the championship is prohibitively expensive
- Just a plain dumb idea

I would have put this in the Flat Track thread but I already know what FT fans would say.

Could this could work? Would it be a step in the wrong direction? What say you?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #81
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,321
Yep, I'm with him!

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #82
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
FIVE!!!!!

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #83
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Seriously, why would you even bother as a racer or a fan? How does that meet the standard of a national race series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #84
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,200
Hard times, indeed. Five, or even six races is not going to do much in the way of solidifying the future of the series. DMG (aka NASCAR) has never done what they said they planned to do.

No incentive for potential sponsors, no tv coverage, probably little if any real promotion of the actual races all add up to a dead race series. Tracks will lose money and not be back. Ditto the racers themselves, not to mention the manufacturers, those few that remain.

R.I.P.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #85
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

I get the impression that Daytona will happen whether or not AMA Pro Racing participate or not, as a one off stand-alone event. So that leaves four 2 day events spread over 6 months or so...

I'm pretty sure there are US club racing organisations that achieve more diversity of venue and a [much] fuller schedule than that!

I imagine anybody who races in the "series" this year is an enabler, possibly keeping the shambling hulk of US sanctioned Pro Road Racing limping on for another season, to the further detriment of the sport in the US and all associated with it, rather than giving it the quick mercy killing it has earned...

I also wonder if the AMA have a contract that requires some floor level of credible championship to exist before they can legally pull the plug...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #86
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
My bet is that they'll cancel the season sometime after Daytona.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #87
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
My bet is that they'll cancel the season sometime after Daytona.

- Mark
I'm sure that should finish the job of screwing professional motorcycle road racing in the USA for a decade or more...

Never mind, your best and brightest will find a home over here in BSB... well, the current generation of best & brightest. The next generation won't really have anywhere to develop their skills...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #88
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post

Best Idea I heard today: Merge the AMA series with the Canadian series.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #89
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
What good would merging with the Canadian series do? Get to race on the shitty tracks in Canada and exposure to a market smaller than California?

OK, done being an ass (for now). I really don't see any possible benefit to merging with the Canadian series. Why would it be a good idea?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #90
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
What good would merging with the Canadian series do? Get to race on the shitty tracks in Canada and exposure to a market smaller than California?

OK, done being an ass (for now). I really don't see any possible benefit to merging with the Canadian series. Why would it be a good idea?
If done correctly, it could resemble the old SCCA Can-Am series. That garnered a lot of attention in the late 60s / early 70s. The BSB series ran a race or two in Holland, if I remember correctly, and that seemed to go over pretty well/

If they modeled the rules after either WSBK or the BSB, that could align it for North American riders to grow into international series.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote