Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

Oddometer: 8
1st ural ride, my story & impression.

I got a URAL finally!

I had been jones'n for one forever seems like, got close a time or two but could never get the planets to line up just right.

So, in a nut shell, I like to trade... like a lot, back in 05' or 06' I wanted a Ural bad, went to the dealership, sit in the sidecar, sit on the bike, stood back looked at it, etc. all the normal things you do when you want but just cant have.
Over time the pain subsided and I quit pressing for it so much, a few trades here and a few trades there, I slowly built up the value of my trades, I had ATV's, Tractors, Lawn mowers, Motorcycles, all kinds of stuff... well just the other day I saw this 06' Patrol on CL really close, only 20 min away, so I called the guy, chewed the fat with him a while and got off the phone, he didn't seem to be into trades (my intentions) so that was that.

He called me back and we talked some more, I didn't want to lead the guy on so I says, "I'm looking to trade"..... silence.... "What'cha got?"

The rest can be figured with a little imagination, I ended up trading a Honda VTX and a Mower

For the 06' Patrol

Yeah, I know!
That's what I thought too!

So just as soon as I figure out how to post pics(got it), I give the impression part of the story, along with a few pics.

Its been a while since I posted but hopefully I can keep this new energy up and keep posting...

trebornoops screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 06:32 AM Reason: To add pics!!!
trebornoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162

I'm interested in you impression of it. I've been playing with the idea. Half of the responses I've got are to the effect of on't do it. The other half is a strong: go for it.
Congrats to you
Old 10-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Congrats!

I have a 2006 Gear Up, bought as a dealer demo in early 2007. Same as you, I had seen on a few years before that at the Toronto Bike Show and started to dream but had to wait for the funds to be available.

It has been a blast and I have no regrets or intention of selling so I hope you have a similar experience.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebornoops View Post
Its been a while since I posted but hopefully I can keep this new energy up and keep posting...
(I didn't say "Dude") It's your first post.
But I certainly hope you enjoy the Ural, consider joining Soviet Steeds as that site is pretty devoted to the marque (is Ural a marque?).

btw, I'm a pawnbroker so I'm pretty familiar with folks who want to trade, glad you made an acceptable deal.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

Well still don't know the magic trick to make a pic appear, let me do this...
Hocus Pocus... nope.

Anyway,the Ural... I knew a lot about theses rascals before by reading and studying about them so much, alot of my info actually came from ADV, so much so that I could have swore that I had posted before, maybe I just wanted to and thought I did. Know what I'm saying...dude? OK, so I'm a Lurker!

Before this, I had never had the opportunity to drive a sidecar rig, I guess because of the many dangers of the "YAW" and counter steer involved, no one wanted to risk letting a non-experienced person potentially crashing their bike, I can't blame them, anyway this was my chance, I was finally going to drive this thing that I had wanted for a long time.

I test drove in the parking lot (thankfully huge parking lot) and right off the bat I noticed the pull from acceleration and also deceleration, I only got to second gear! This, I could tell, was going to be a challenge.
I was hooked, I had to have it, we worked out the trade and the beast was mine.

So I get my helmet, adjust "ma-boyz", take a deep breath and exit the parking lot, so far so good, a small 100 yd dash to the stop sign and wait for traffic to clear... really clear, cause I didn't know what was going to happen.
Turning Left, I pull out into the turning lane and don't stop, I grind into second, I grind into third and I'm in traffic on my Ural!

Hold UP! does anybody know what a Jackass eating briers looks like?

That was me, all Teef.

I was going left, I was going right, back to the left, scared to "fly the chair", grinding another gear, hitting the rear brake, back to the right, trying to change lanes, grinning, back to the left, OMG! this was prolly the most awesome thing I could think of, my jaws were starting to hurt, I couldn't stop smiling.... Whew. I make it to the stop light.

Jeez, why did I wait so long? anyway at the light, UDF kicks in like only a mile away from where I started, these two dudes pull up beside me and are like "HEY...Hey, where is URAL and who makes that bike" Me being the "Owner" and having an "extensive" knowledge of these bikes, I reply.
Uh...well uh... "Its from Russia, URAL is who makes it" (pause...) "I just picked it up, I'm on the way home"
(2 dudes) "Cool man, very Cool" Light turns green, I "speed" off, yep.

That was great, back to the ride, I'm traveling in a 45 going about 35, so I got to pick it up a little, I gas, I get squirrel-e, I let off, I ride the white line for a second, everybody that passes, looks and smiles, people wave... WHAT! wave, I can't wave, I need both arms and legs to drive this thing! This is great, I can't stop smiling, I'm getting better, now I can go 40mph!

OK, so my impression, get one.
I don't know if all sidecar rigs are like this or if it will always be this much "excitement" for me, but yes, get one.

Back to the story, after a 30 minute ride, I get home and there's my wife and youngest (2yr) daughter, both smiling and happy to see me, I park the bike in the drive and immediately she climbs all over the bike inspecting it and saying "mine, mine Daddy...its mine" with a lump in my throat "yes baby, its yours"
I kiss my wife, and show her my new bike, I explain to her before I risk a "ride around the block" I need some seat time, so we settle for a ride around the yard.

We mount up, I let out the clutch,as soon as the bike moves my daughters face lights up, man it was so worth it, all the thoughts of owning a Ural, just for this, was worth it.

To sum it up, as of now.

1. It was very exciting to finally own a Ural
2. It was very exciting to finally drive a Ural
3. UDF phenomenon is real
4. There is a learning curve (I think short)
5. This is an "Old school" bike, you got to drive it
6. It has plenty of power to go as fast as you "need" to go
7. I would do it again.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
You might want to check out........

There is a networking group (or 2 or 3) that can offer a lot of suggestions & many ''how to'' for your new trade. ''Soviet Steed'', it's most helpful for my ''BRO''. He has even added some of his inventive fixes to the collective.

You are going to have fun,
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
''Soviet Steed'', it's most helpful for...
You are going to have fun,
I can second that. SovietSteeds is a good site for Ural owners.
There are also some great events in the NC area as well as some great NC owners who post often.

And congrats on the new rig!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
trebornoops,
Great first ride story. Yep, get over to SS and introduce yourself. You gonna fit in just fine with the foil heads.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

A couple of pics.

This is "Snaggle tooth" the driver with "Omi" and me.

Yeah, so far I like it pretty good.

I can already do this!

Ok look, these pictures are with an iphone, i will break out the better picture getter later, but for now... chew on these.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebornoops View Post
I got a URAL finally!

I had been jones'n for one forever seems like, got close a time or two but could never get the planets to line up just right.

So, in a nut shell, I like to trade... like a lot, back in 05' or 06' I wanted a Ural bad, went to the dealership, sit in the sidecar, sit on the bike, stood back looked at it, etc. all the normal things you do when you want but just cant have.
Over time the pain subsided and I quit pressing for it so much, a few trades here and a few trades there, I slowly built up the value of my trades, I had ATV's, Tractors, Lawn mowers, Motorcycles, all kinds of stuff... well just the other day I saw this 06' Patrol on CL really close, only 20 min away, so I called the guy, chewed the fat with him a while and got off the phone, he didn't seem to be into trades (my intentions) so that was that.

He called me back and we talked some more, I didn't want to lead the guy on so I says, "I'm looking to trade"..... silence.... "What'cha got?"

The rest can be figured with a little imagination, I ended up trading a Honda VTX and a Mower

For the 06' Patrol

Yeah, I know!
That's what I thought too!

So just as soon as I figure out how to post pics(got it), I give the impression part of the story, along with a few pics.

just one question: how are you going to mow your lawn? is there anattachment that mounts to the Ural??
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 431
Laugh Good Job flying the chair!!

OK first your profile picture and the B/W picture of you in sidecar look like the same person!!

Yes get comforable flying the chair it will happen on those tight right turns know the feeling.
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,023
Im on the fence. YOU are NOT Helping.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
These silly motorcycles really are fun, aren't they!
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
These silly motorcycles really are fun, aren't they!

you have no idea
I've had maybe 10 bikes over the years (incl. 2 Cushman scooters), my Ural puts a smile on my face like no other bike has done (ok, maybe the 1st Cushman-but that was my rolling independence machine)
If you are handy and do your own maint.-you need to think about owning one
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

"OK first your profile picture and the B/W picture of you in sidecar look like the same person!!" ~Biebs~

Hold up, Hold up, Hold up...

Well, I guess it does kinda look the same.

So per suggestions,
I made the trip over to SS, for sure a wealth of info!
I can already tell I will be reading a lot over there, you can prolly read your bike apart and back together without even getting gweesy.

I took the valve covers off last night, just to look , and ended up pulling the carbs, rerouting the throttle cable, adjusting the valves, checking the torque on the head bolts, disassembling the carbs and cleaning them, pulling the plugs and adjusting the air tubes from the filter to the carbs...

It IS very addicting, kinda like therapy, skill level involved to wrench on a Ural is very basic, now fine tuning is yet to be acquired, I'll learn that as I read and wrench and learn.

"These silly motorcycles really are fun, aren't they!" ~4Paws~

4Paws, I never knew, I mean right now I don't know if I want to tinker or ride!
I just feel closer to this bike than having a, let's just say a... "Homasaki"
Not trying to call any names you know, I like gweese under my nails, I'm a wrencher fo sho & this seems like a very good fit for someone with just a touch of OCD, like myself, I can never leave well enough alone... Yep, Ural is for me.

I'm gonna predict the near future... Snaggle Tooth and myself are going to be spending some quality time on this one, yea momma's gonna be mad when somehow gweese gets on the fridge... but hey, that's life.

Omi, well she's not ready yet.
She's more of a "bigger hammer" type person right now, but she will enjoy pushing the windshield back and forth about 50-11 times while the gweese is flyin.