User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
vortmax OP
Sport Tourer

Oddometer: 33
Clover Tekno Suit Review

O.K. I admit it; I am a gear junkie, like other inmates that frequent this equipment forum. The wife says I have way too much motorcycle apparel in my closet. Of course, I then remind her of her vast shoe collection spanning several closets. I enjoy spending hours online reading motorcycle apparel reviews, accident studies, and ogling over the vast amount of motorcycle apparel available, some of which has made its way into my collection. Searching for the holy grail of motorcycle suits that would provide maximum safety, functionality, and style. There are a lot of motorcycle clothing manufactures, some good, some not so good, with prices ranging from less than a Benjamin to well into the thousands. One question that always pops up is how well would this jacket or pant protect me if I become intimate with the pavement or another object. Lets face it, there really is no way to tell for sure how your preferred clothing will hold up in an accident as each accident physics are unique. And of course there are limits to any clothing given the forces involved. I have seen examples of low priced gear that have provided impressive protection, and high priced gear that had shocking results. However if we look at accidents in general, the rider’s apparel, and thus the rider, are subject to things like abrasion and tearing, which can result in soft tissue damage, and impact or collision, which break bones and damage organs. Given this, basic testing of abrasion and tear resistance of materials used in apparel, including seam strength, and protection from impact and the energy transfers involved, can provide some insight into how well the outcome may be when things go wrong. I decided that gear that had actually undergone some certified independent testing to documented standards would be where my next chunk of change would go.

In my research, I came across Clover, an Italian company, and their innovations in motorcycle apparel, which included the first clothing with ventilation, and first apparel with built in protectors. The Clover Tekno jacket and pants are the first suit with detachable layers that fully meet CE Level 2 certification (not just the armor), but there was very little info about it other than what was on Clover’s website. WebBikeWorld finally shed some much needed info on the jacket in a review they did back in 2012. The url is below:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/clover-tekno-jacket/

If you haven't already, I recommend you check out their review first, before reading mine. My intent is to provide supplemental information to their fine review, and try to avoid covering the same info they already touched upon. One thing unique will be my review of the pants, as I believe this is probably the first of its kind on the Internet.

First off, here is the entire getup:

(Tekno Suit Front)

(Tekno Suit Back)

There is only one version of the pants, however the jacket is also available in all black. Opted for the hi-vis version to help out those cagers that tend to overlook us folks on two wheels.

Now lets break it down and talk about the individual components.

First the jacket…

The black material throughout most of the jacket is Clover’s DHP 700, which is some sort of magic textile. It has a stiff texture similar to thick canvas (which softens only slightly over time), however it is not rough to the tough, just feels rugged. The yellow areas make up Zone 1 protection and consist of Clover’s Iron 1000. This is the material that can be seen in the YouTube video lasting upwards of 20 times longer than Cordura 500 in the impact/abrasion test. This material is also stiff but feels very slick and bulletproof to the touch. It’s easy to see how this material would tend to slide and hold up when introduced to pavement at speed.

Like precurved racing gloves, the jacket has a similar build. The sleeves seem to be designed to favor the riding position. They measure slightly shorter on the inside than outside…giving a flared out appearance.

On the bike, this works well, but off the bike, it gives you a pumped up badass look, which ain’t so bad either.

There are zippered vents along the sleeves, chest, and back. The two adjustment snaps along the sleeves to adjust width only have two positions.

Personally, I prefer adjustable hook-and-loop straps, like on my BMW Rallye 3, to provide a more custom adjustment. The two positions, however for me, provide a fairly good securing of the arm pads. When the liners are in the jacket, it fits quite snug, as it should.

Back protector (which is sold separately) is long, but not real wide, and CE Level 2 certified. This one is size M, which is the recommended size for my height (5’ 11”), and is secured in a pocket that zips closed at the top.

(Front and Back View)

(Back Protector in Jacket)

Here are pics of the shoulder and arm armor (CE Level 1). They are held in pockets and use hook-and-loop fasteners.

(Shoulder Armor)

(Elbow Armor)

A booklet is included to show how the armor preformed when subject to the standard 50 Joule impact test. I would say they rated fair IMHO, but there are better armor available. I ended up replacing the elbow armor with the NP ones from my Rallye 3 jacket. They fit nicely into the existing pockets and provide greater coverage.

There is a windproof/waterproof liner that attaches to the inside of the jacket via a zipper across each side of the jacket. There are two loops with snaps on the end of each sleeve that secure this liner to the jacket. The thermal liner then zips into this waterproof liner.

Now for the pants…

(Tekno Pants Front)

(Tekno Pants Side)

(Tekno Pants Back)

First impression was they were a little strange in that they have a fairly low cut waist, which is a little weird when wearing them standing up, but turns out to be a good thing when on the bike, especially if you were "big belly challenged". The pants do have detachable suspenders that help keep them up.

There is CE level 1 armor in the hips and knees. It looks like this when removed.

(Hip Armor)

(Knee Armor)

The hip pads fit in a pocket inside the pants:

The knee armor has a hook-and-loop fastener on the top that attaches to a similar one in a pocket accessed from the outside of the pants. You unzip the pocket, slide the knee armor in, and press it against the fastener inside.

(Inserting Knee Armor into Pant)

Not the best setup in my opinion, but does provide a good deal of adjustment for various leg length/sizes. I have opted to remove both the hip and knee armor and wear my Forcefield Pro pants underneath. Without the liners in, there is enough room for this to work, but doubt it will be feasible when the liners are required as they take up an additional amount of real estate. Also, my NP knee armor from my Rallye 3 pants fits into these pockets and provides better protection. I use this configuration with some Forcefield Pro shorts, to protect the hips, during warmer weather.

With that, lets take a look at the two pant liners. Similar to the jacket, there is a wind/waterproof liner:

(Waterproof liner)

that attaches to the inside of the pant via zippers around the waist and at the bottom of each leg. And a thermal liner:

(Thermal Liner)

that attaches similarly to the inside of the pants using a separate zipper.

Also, there are two attachment zippers on the back of the pants.

The longer silver zipper on the pants mates with a similar zipper on the inside of the waterproof liner of the jacket. Note that these zippers only come into play when you are using the waterproof liners. When running liner free, there is no connection zipper between the jacket and pants. However, the jacket has two adjustable straps on the bottom that run under the crotch and attach in front. They are designed to keep the jacket from riding up in an accident and also would help the pants from falling down, assuming the straps remain intact in a crash. Although have never really been into suspenders, the ones on these pants would also serve to keep them up during a slide. As far as I can tell, the other smaller black zipper provides generic hookup when using other jackets.

The pants have two waterproof pockets, one on each side of the front of the leg that folds over and closes with hook-and-loop fasteners. These pockets also have a dual strip reflective material running along the vertical. There is another reflective strip running up the backside of the lower leg section (see Tekno Pants Back View above).

Next to each pocket is a vertical zipper that can be held open with a snap for venting.

The majority of the pant is made of the DHP 700, with two layers covering your seat. The IRON 1000 covers the knee sections. Double stitching is used in all critical areas.

Bottom of the pants have a zipper and hook-and-loop fastener to allow for expansion over a boot. Note that although there is a zipper, there is material underneath that limits how far the bottom of the pant will expand open.

Sizing, Labels, and Care:

I am 5’ 11”, 175lb and normally wear a 34W-31L in jeans. I purchased a size 52 pant and would say the fit is fairly good throughout. I went with a size Large for the jacket as my size was similar to the reviewer on webBikeWorld and feel their sizing description was accurate (43 inch chest, sleeve length 34 inches).

After the initial examination of the jacket and pants, looked around on the inside for the labels to get an idea of the materials used and where it was made. There are only two labels on the jacket and pants, a CE Level 2 certification label and a sizing label.

Further examination discovered additional labels that are attached to the thermal liners that provide washing instructions, materials used, and that the clothing was made in Romania. The washing instructions call for hand wash only in warm water (30 Deg C) with mild soap and hang dry. This apparently is suggested to help preserve the water repellant treatment on the outside of the pants and jacket.

Performance on the road:

The material is thick and rugged, and the fit fairly snug. It is not as comfortable as my Rallye 3 but then again the materials are significantly more heavy duty. There was decent ventilation while riding in temperatures up into the 70’s deg F. However, once the mercury gets into the 80s F, this suit gets significantly warmer. Wouldn’t call it an all season suit for our climate of Northern California…but definitely three seasons (minus summer). If you live in a place with mild summers, it may cover all four seasons. With the thermal liners in, I was comfortable at freeway speeds with temperatures in the lower 30s. Haven’t checked out the waterproof ability yet but hope to this winter.

Conclusion:

Overall we are very happy with this suit. The only real negative is the less than stellar armor which is only CE Level 1 certified. However the remainder of the suit being CE level 2 certified is reassuring, although no guarantee that you will walk away after a spill. I look forward to a future when an equivalent certification is adopted in the U.S. and clothing manufactures build apparel to meet these standards. I will no doubt have to get a bigger closet at that time.

Purchasing information:

This suit is currently not available from any U.S. dealer and must be purchased overseas. This runs the risk of ordering sight unseen and questions about proper fit. From the comments at the bottom of the webBikeWorld review, I purchased the suit from Motorama in Italy.

http://www.motorama.it/en/

It took a couple of weeks, as the pants were initially not in stock and awaited shipment from Clover. I was kept up to date on the status via their website. Once everything was available, it took 9 days to get from Italy to California.

vortmax screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 10:38 AM
vortmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
This is the one I've been waiting for! Thanks for this review. Much appreciated.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Great review. I own a Clover jacket and pants I bought about 10 years ago when I lived in Germany. Still one of the highest quality riding outfits I've owned and it's still holding-up lie new today.

Strange that such a high-quality manufacturer is so little known, even in Europe.
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Is it just me or are the picture links broken?
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Thanks for that review! I've been looking at the Clover stuff too, so this is very timely.

You mention you have a closet full of gear, can you provide some comparisons with others you have tried? The comparison with your Rally 3 is helpful, so basically the NP armour is nicer and larger, and the suit is slightly more comfortable, likely due to the lighter materials, correct?

I'm not real sold on the inner WP liner deal, as weather changes fast in these parts and I can envision roadside stripping multiple times in a day. I'm assuming there is little to no chance you could install or remove WP liner with boots on?

The other thing I'm interested in, is the collar. How is the collar for closure, fit, seal and overall comfort? This is a pet peeve with me.

How about sleeve length? Some Euro stuff, and most domestic stuff is built for far more anthropologically evolved persons than myself, who still tends to have slight ape like builds

...and yeah, picture links seem to be broken
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
vortmax OP
Sport Tourer

Sorry folks about the temporary broken links on the pics
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Hmm. Pictures show fine for me?

Joe, step up. I'm curious
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Pics are working now! Nice looking suit!!

The pics raise more questions for me, particularly on the different fabrics used. What is the material on the jacket main zipper? It appears different in the pics than the main body. Also the upper arm width adjuster, is that some sort of plastic sleeve it goes through? The knees also seem to be different looking?

The pants look plenty long on you. Would you say they might fit on the long side? Like maybe fit 32-34" inseam?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
hmm. Pictures show fine for me?

Joe, step up. I'm curious
Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
vortmax OP
Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Thanks for that review! I've been looking at the Clover stuff too, so this is very timely.

You mention you have a closet full of gear, can you provide some comparisons with others you have tried? The comparison with your Rally 3 is helpful, so basically the NP armour is nicer and larger, and the suit is slightly more comfortable, likely due to the lighter materials, correct?

I'm not real sold on the inner WP liner deal, as weather changes fast in these parts and I can envision roadside stripping multiple times in a day. I'm assuming there is little to no chance you could install or remove WP liner with boots on?

The other thing I'm interested in, is the collar. How is the collar for closure, fit, seal and overall comfort? This is a pet peeve with me.

How about sleeve length? Some Euro stuff, and most domestic stuff is built for far more anthropologically evolved persons than myself, who still tends to have slight ape like builds

...and yeah, picture links seem to be broken
Correct...because the Rallye 3 material is lighter...it is more comfortable but provides less protection in my opinion. I have other jackets and pants (mainly other BMW gear and leather) but the Rallye 3 is the only "suit" with detachable layers currently in my closet to compare.

As far as the liner, no you would not be able to remove it with the boots on.

Clover uses a unique design for the collar. They actually have a bolt-snap combo and provide a wrench which you loosen and move the hardware to your preference

The collar adjustment is thus limited by the length of the rail. Mine is set at a comfortable range for me with some slack. Thus air does get in, which helps with ventilation. For colder or wetter weather, would use in conjunction with a balaclava. Again because the material is stiffer and more heavy duty, the collar is not as comfortable as the Rallye 3.

Sleeve length was covered in the review. As mentioned it is slightly tapered on the inside. Length is good for me, but not everyone is built the same.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
vortmax OP
Sport Tourer

Quote:
Pics are working now! Nice looking suit!!

The pics raise more questions for me, particularly on the different fabrics used. What is the material on the jacket main zipper? It appears different in the pics than the main body. Also the upper arm width adjuster, is that some sort of plastic sleeve it goes through? The knees also seem to be different looking?

The pants look plenty long on you. Would you say they might fit on the long side? Like maybe fit 32-34" inseam?
You have a keen eye. Yes the strip of material covering the main zipper is some sort of different nylon. The upper arm adjustment is an elastic loop with a snap on one end and two mating snaps on the other end about an inch apart. The "plastic" sleeve you refer to is actually rubber and inside is a small piece of plastic that the elastic loops around.

The knees are made of the IRON 1000 material.

The inseam on the 52's is 32 inches (i.e., from the seam in the middle of the crotch to the inside end of a leg). It might appear that they are long but on the bike they fit well. I would say the sizing is similar to the Rallye 3 size 52.

vortmax screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 07:59 AM
Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! One more question, if you don't mind. Can you give some perspective as to the size of the armour? Some of the new stuff is extremely small providing what seems to be limited coverage, particularly when compared to Motoport or even Aerostich stuff.

JTT screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 03:38 PM
Old 10-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
vortmax OP
Sport Tourer

Quote:
Thanks! One more question, if you don't mind. Can you give some perspective as to the size of the armour? Some of the new stuff is extremely small providing what seems to be limited coverage, particularly when compared to Motoport or even Aerostich stuff.
I have updated the pictures of the armor, adding the approximate dimensions in inches. These sizes may differ, depending on the size of the suit.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Thanks for the follow-up review on webbike’s. I’m also looking at the Clover gear. I’ve exchanged a few emails with Matt Dymon at Motorcycle Innovations in Canada. He’s willing to ship to the US, but I may order from Clover.

Did you get hit with import fees??

I’m also looking at the comparably-priced Rukka Airflow jacket/pants. Both are expensive, but I finally finished my bike search and picked up a cherry 2000 R1100R today . Since its price didn’t bust the budget, I can spend more on a new suit.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote