ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
dunters OP
Dunters

Oddometer: 25
Seattle riders, a call for voices...

Hola,

I recently met with the personal assistant to Mayor McGinn and brought up the need for free parking for motorcycles in Seattle as well as the BS fact we pay the same price in tolls as cars. The response was that is was a great idea but the issue has never come up, and without any voices it's tough to get anything rolling. He said even as little as 20-30 emails would be enough to get the conversations rolling. We can do better than 20-30 peoples.

I just wrote this email to McGinn's office tonight (see below). Feel free to copy and paste with personal changes and send it his way or just send your own. mike.mcginn@seattle.gov.
We also need to hit up the city council (I'll be writting up an email tomorrow) http://www.seattle.gov/customerservice/request.htm ,*
and Dow Constantine (king county executive) http://info.kingcounty.gov/about/contact/default.aspx*
and Reema Grifith GriffiR@wstc.wa.gov (executive director Wa State transportation committee).
The more voices the better...

"Dear Mr. Mayor,

During the primary races, I heard you, Bruce Harrell, and Peter Steinbrueck all talk about the need to increase incentives for alternate forms of transportation such as car2go and zip cars to help alleviate congestion and pollution. In tonight's debate with Senator Murray, you also talked about your passion for the environment, from which I'm very grateful for all the work you've done towards the Seattle bicycle community in the last four years. May I suggest also giving some of those same incentives towards single occupancy vehicles such as motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, 3-wheel electrical cars, etc... They are much more environmentally friendly than even smart cars, and create a lot less congestion than almost any other vehicle, which can be seen in motorcycle/scooter friendly cities all over the world.

Currently my 400lbs, 65mpg, 2 wheel, 2" wide tire motorcycle pays the same tolls on 520 and the narrows bridge as a 6,000lbs suburban with studded tires. I realize this is a state, not city issue, and I have brought it up with Reema Grifith (with only the response of "we need the money"), but feel it's worth bringing up as an example for the city of Seattle as well. I've travelled in many parts of the world and I've never seen a toll, in any other city, state, or country where motorcycles pay the same price as cars. And I bring this up because is this something we should expect to see applied to bicycles as well when the tunnel is opened with a bicycle lane or the new 520 bridge is built?

As far as a city issue, Car2go get to park almost anywhere for free where as motorcycles and scooters pay the same parking fees at cars, despite taking up only a fraction of the space and disrupting traffic far less when they do park. Giving parking incentives to single occupancy vehicles would be a great way to champion your push for finding new incentives for alternative forms of transportation and give people incentives to ride more, help alleviate the city's congestion, and cut down on emissions, like you've been doing with bicycles and cyclists.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

-Duncan Smith
http://duncanasmith.c...*
206.355.9389"
dunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 661
Pretty good idea hope it works for you, will try to do my part as an east sided.
KTM65SX, KX65
<><
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,446
hope it works. I will e-mail my boss right now
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 227
I'm all about this. Although it at any time between 6am and 9pm, it's still faster to peddle between neighborhoods...any hope for lane splitting in WA?

I'll play my part and send some emails, and make sure my moto friends are encouraged to as well. Thanks for the catalyst.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,738
Hood River as an example has free parking for motorcycles.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
seaklx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Email sent,
As a guy with 12+ years of experience working downtown I've been watching the "free" motorcycle spots disappear at a quickening rate with all of the new development.
seaklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
I'm on board for this. Email sent.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaklx View Post
Email sent,
As a guy with 12+ years of experience working downtown I've been watching the "free" motorcycle spots disappear at a quickening rate with all of the new development.

and I know where you park
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
smalltownSarah
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb Email sent.

I wrote mine a little differently, but did my part. Thanks for the impetus.

Quote:
Mayor McGinn,

Please consider discounted parking for motorcycles & scooters in Seattle, and please consider discounted toll rates for motorcycles & scooters.

We have every reason in the world to become a motorcycle-friendly city. We have a variety of small local businesses revolving around motorcycles and scooters (sales, service, parts, accessories, clothing, cafes, bars, restaurants - literally a hundred locally owned small businesses related to the topic). We have a climate acceptable for year-round riding. We have HOV lanes on various highways that are used daily by motorcycles. How about a little city support in the form of tangible perks for riding highly fuel efficient, low emissions, low weight and low traffic impact vehicles?

Sarah
smalltownSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
kaptenken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
What exactly is "Lane Splitting?", sorry for the ignorance but I'm a woods guy
kaptenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,541
Hi Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Uhhhhhhhhm, in case you haven't noticed in the last 3&1/2years . . . . . . The current mayor and his administration really isn't interested in providing any parking benefits/incentives for motos; I sent that slime an email requesting moto-parking at the stadiums . . . . . response - nil.

This nut-job has been spending millions on bicycle lane signage, striping, re-laning . . . . . .. Which I'm not totally opposed to, but in the meantime the pavement has gone to rubble . . . . . .

I mean really, how many hard-core pedal cyclists are commuting during the winter storms & freezing weather ?

I live on one of the designated bicycle trails, and I can tell you not many.

I'll be voting for the other guy, uhhhhm interesting choices we have here . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunters View Post
Hola,

I recently met with the personal assistant to Mayor McGinn and brought up the need for free parking for motorcycles in Seattle as well as the BS fact we pay the same price in tolls as cars. The response was that is was a great idea but the issue has never come up, and without any voices it's tough to get anything rolling. He said even as little as 20-30 emails would be enough to get the conversations rolling. We can do better than 20-30 peoples.

I just wrote this email to McGinn's office tonight (see below). Feel free to copy and paste with personal changes and send it his way or just send your own. mike.mcginn@seattle.gov.
We also need to hit up the city council (I'll be writting up an email tomorrow) http://www.seattle.gov/customerservice/request.htm ,*
and Dow Constantine (king county executive) http://info.kingcounty.gov/about/contact/default.aspx*
and Reema Grifith GriffiR@wstc.wa.gov (executive director Wa State transportation committee).
The more voices the better...

"Dear Mr. Mayor,

During the primary races, I heard you, Bruce Harrell, and Peter Steinbrueck all talk about the need to increase incentives for alternate forms of transportation such as car2go and zip cars to help alleviate congestion and pollution. In tonight's debate with Senator Murray, you also talked about your passion for the environment, from which I'm very grateful for all the work you've done towards the Seattle bicycle community in the last four years. May I suggest also giving some of those same incentives towards single occupancy vehicles such as motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, 3-wheel electrical cars, etc... They are much more environmentally friendly than even smart cars, and create a lot less congestion than almost any other vehicle, which can be seen in motorcycle/scooter friendly cities all over the world.

Currently my 400lbs, 65mpg, 2 wheel, 2" wide tire motorcycle pays the same tolls on 520 and the narrows bridge as a 6,000lbs suburban with studded tires. I realize this is a state, not city issue, and I have brought it up with Reema Grifith (with only the response of "we need the money"), but feel it's worth bringing up as an example for the city of Seattle as well. I've travelled in many parts of the world and I've never seen a toll, in any other city, state, or country where motorcycles pay the same price as cars. And I bring this up because is this something we should expect to see applied to bicycles as well when the tunnel is opened with a bicycle lane or the new 520 bridge is built?

As far as a city issue, Car2go get to park almost anywhere for free where as motorcycles and scooters pay the same parking fees at cars, despite taking up only a fraction of the space and disrupting traffic far less when they do park. Giving parking incentives to single occupancy vehicles would be a great way to champion your push for finding new incentives for alternative forms of transportation and give people incentives to ride more, help alleviate the city's congestion, and cut down on emissions, like you've been doing with bicycles and cyclists.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

-Duncan Smith
http://duncanasmith.c...*
206.355.9389"

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
andykeck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Just for the record, the Car2Go cars don't park free. They pay their parking in advance as a yearly lump sum fee.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Hopefully we'll have a new mayor soon, someone that can hold more than one thought in his head. I can't believe how much money has been spent to make traffic worse for 98% of the population.

note-When you pay to park a moto in this town, make sure you take a photo of the receipt/ticket when you stick it on your headlight, as some one can just peel it off to put on, or in, their vehicle. It's happened to me, so I always snap a photo with my phone...
'08 KTM 690 SMC
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,128
Couple questions on your letter:

Quote:
Giving parking incentives to single occupancy vehicles would be a great way to champion your push for finding new incentives for alternative forms of transportation and give people incentives to ride more, help alleviate the city's congestion, and cut down on emissions, like you've been doing with bicycles and cyclists.
1. How would incentivizing SOVs achieve items in this sentence?
2. What's the difference between bicycles and cyclists? Aren't they the same?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
dunters OP
Dunters

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Hello Duncan,

Uhhhhhhhhm, in case you haven't noticed in the last 3&1/2years . . . . . . The current mayor and his administration really isn't interested in providing any parking benefits/incentives for motos; I sent that slime an email requesting moto-parking at the stadiums . . . . . response - nil.

This nut-job has been spending millions on bicycle lane signage, striping, re-laning . . . . . .. Which I'm not totally opposed to, but in the meantime the pavement has gone to rubble . . . . . .

I mean really, how many hard-core pedal cyclists are commuting during the winter storms & freezing weather ?

I live on one of the designated bicycle trails, and I can tell you not many.

I'll be voting for the other guy, uhhhhm interesting choices we have here . . . . . .

I hear you. I recently (2 weeks ago) got a $56 parking ticket at the stadium which which was complete BS. I have photos and no judge on earth wouldn't overturn the ticket. The problem, like the previous 4 BS parking tickets I've received in Seattle, is whether or not I can make the appeal. I'm self employed and taking two hours out of a week day means turning down a full day of work.
As for the mayoral candidates, yeah, total disappointment who ended up in the finals. Harrell had my vote in the primaries ('cos I talked to him in person about the motorcycle issue and he seemed very responsive, so hit him hard too 'cos he's staying in the city council) and Steinbrueck was my second choice.
dunters is offline   Reply With Quote