ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
dunters OP
Dunters

Oddometer: 25
Yeah, poorly written for sure. Oops. I was pretty emotional after the debates when I sent it in.
Still hit 'em hard! I followed the mayoral primaries very closely, attending 3 open forums, 1 debate, and 3 "meet the candidate" fundraisers. All of the candidates spent a lot of time talking about giving incentives for alternative forms of transportation and looking for new ones. Stump speeches for sure but let's keep them to their word. We might not as flashy as car2go and zip cars but we're far more environmentally friendly and create a lot less congestion than either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
Couple questions on your letter:

1. How would incentivizing SOVs achieve items in this sentence?
2. What's the difference between bicycles and cyclists? Aren't they the same?
dunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunters View Post
I hear you. I recently (2 weeks ago) got a $56 parking ticket at the stadium which which was complete BS. I have photos and no judge on earth wouldn't overturn the ticket. The problem, like the previous 4 BS parking tickets I've received in Seattle, is whether or not I can make the appeal. I'm self employed and taking two hours out of a week day means turning down a full day of work.
As for the mayoral candidates, yeah, total disappointment who ended up in the finals. Harrell had my vote in the primaries ('cos I talked to him in person about the motorcycle issue and he seemed very responsive, so hit him hard too 'cos he's staying in the city council) and Steinbrueck was my second choice.
So, DON'T come downtown....contest the ticket and explain yourself via mail or even online.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
I think we're fooling ourselves if we think the people running Seattle and the King County Metro Council give a fig about motorcycles. The anti-car types hate us as the incorrigible oil consumers and noise polluters, the anti-bicycle types hate us because we occupy their space and get HOV privileges, can park where they can't, and generally seem to enjoy ourselves way too much... and we're also incorrigible free thinkers and rule breakers.

In short, most of 'em on both sides are authoritarian anti-freedom types, and our sort must be rehabilitated, or else eliminated.

BTW, Seattle is what happens when enough people flee the economic hellholes of the authoritarian states... and then put the same policies in effect that caused them to flee in the first place. 'As the dog returns to its vomit...' etc.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
I think we're fooling ourselves if we think the people running Seattle and the King County Metro Council give a fig about motorcycles. The anti-car types hate us as the incorrigible oil consumers and noise polluters, the anti-bicycle types hate us because we occupy their space and get HOV privileges, can park where they can't, and generally seem to enjoy ourselves way too much... and we're also incorrigible free thinkers and rule breakers.

In short, most of 'em on both sides are authoritarian anti-freedom types, and our sort must be rehabilitated, or else eliminated.

BTW, Seattle is what happens when enough people flee the economic hellholes of the authoritarian states... and then put the same policies in effect that caused them to flee in the first place. 'As the dog returns to its vomit...' etc.
Yeah, well... it's also a beautiful place to live that a lot of us call home. I've been riding a motorcycle in downtown Seattle for many years, never been hated by anybody that I'm aware of.

Guess I'll just go crawl back into my own puddle of puke then.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
rickyc4
FF Rancher

Oddometer: 246
Pacific Place 5$, that's what I do
rickyc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Yeah, well... it's also a beautiful place to live that a lot of us call home. I've been riding a motorcycle in downtown Seattle for many years, never been hated by anybody that I'm aware of.

Guess I'll just go crawl back into my own puddle of puke then.
Last winter I was on the way into Seattle, 520 to I5S in my Dakota. I had just merged onto I 5 in heavy traffic when a grimy GSA passed me on the left. He tried to merge a couple of cars ahead of me but the Lexus SUV driver ahead of me in the lane sped up to close the gap. The GSA looked back, as if to say WTF and then gassed it on the left shoulder and merged a car ahead. A few hundred yards later the GSA merged into the middle lane, as did the Lexus and I, but the Lexus sped up, pulled partly into the right lane and then merged back to the left causing the GSA to veer quickly to avoid a collision. The Lexus pulled alongside the motorcycle and started easing to the left. The GSA had no room to the left, was blowing his horn and waving. I pulled into the right lane alongside the Lexus and blew my horn, and the male driver was startled enough to lose focus on the bike. I yelled, "Knock it off, as$hole!" and the GSA took the second or two he had to zoom away. I rode alongside the Lexus long enough to be sure he had given up on the harassment.

There are a lot of cool drivers and bikers in Seattle... and a lot of sanctimonious jerks. I include the squids I've seen riding wheelies at 80 mph plus in the HOV lanes on 405, with their helmets, tank tops, cargo shorts, and sandals.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,251
and while we are venting why am I paying $98 for tabs for a DRZ400, yet I only pay $77 for pickup truck in King County?
Go figure
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Why did I pay $75 to renew my driver's license?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,864
Glad to see this post.
Here is another opportunity to ask questions and make suggestions about the laws that govern us.

Motorcycle Safety Education Advisory Board meeting, Dec 12, 3 to 5 PM
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940107
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
and while we are venting why am I paying $98 for tabs for a DRZ400, yet I only pay $77 for pickup truck in King County?
Go figure
I'm shocked! Seems a little unfair.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #26
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post

WORD.

NW native here - almost everyone I meet isn't . . . . . Lived(as a kid) & driven thru the (unfortunate) history of the transpotation/traffic debacle for over a half century, and I approve this ^^^ message.

BTW - Now the "BIG BERTHA" boring machine is stuck - Guess they f*cked that up too . . . . .

(Sorry Haven't mastered the multi-quote function) . . . . . .

Uhhhh, yes about the other thread posts, sadly this is the land of the passive- agressive (cage) driver; And jeeebus, sorry to say - we've got a sh*t-load of 'em.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
I'm shocked! Seems a little unfair.
Uhhhhhm, King county is just way more than a little unfair - I'm seriously looking at moving - soon !

Anyone selling house/real estate in the most northern part of Pierce county ?

Not just the MC or car tab thing; Research it; King County is probably one of the highest taxed counties in the country.

If I do move(to an outlying county), it would just add to the traffic burden since I work in Skyway, but I've come to realize why so many folks commute from Pierce or Sno-Ho county to jobs in King County . . . . . . Amd why the traffic is some of the worse in the country . . . . .
Damn the taxes, especially the friggen POS - Port of Seattle - damn the taxes that we pay; Who are the servants & who are the served ? ? ? ? ?
And who are paying for those(would be servants) who are being served ? ? ? ? ?

And not just that, but the quasi-gov't organizations > > > > POS, that need to be funded/served . . . . .

I probly won't move since I hate commuting, period; Longer than 15 minutes gets really tedious(and I'd probly morph into that passive /aggresive MOFO MC/cage dude you so don't want to meet up with) . . . . . I mean I really hate commuting longer than 15 minutes, but I also hate the taxes/fees here in KC.

On the other hand, I'm looking at employment opportunities outside of the PNWet(even outside of the country) that appeal to me.

Uhhh, perhaps another "Welp, see ya in a year or two thread, let's keep in touch"

But at this point just wishful thinking on my part.

If something does materialize, I'd be returning to PNWet summers; I'm a teacher - but perhaps not ! I've been eyeing Colebach's RR's of the ride across the largest continent, and the time-frame is perfect for a teacher with the summer off, so who knows ? ? ? ? ?
Stay tuned to ADVrider . . . . . Keep your dreams alive !

Sorry about all the thinking out loud here; just ignore it.

Oh, and btw, thank dawg, the freak(former Mayor) wasn't re-elected ! ! ! ! !

Peace

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 10:43 PM
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Am I the only one who is going to defend Seattle here? C'mon, taxes suck everywhere! Passive aggressive? Try Bellevue for pete's sake!

Arrogant and homicidal Lexus drivers? Ever been to Kirkland?!

Fact: Seattle has the best taco trucks, best live music, best used book stores, and the best (and only?) Guzzi dealership, in Western Washington. Amiright?

ObiJohn and Watercat, we need to go riding! I began to get cranky reading these last comments, because this internet format can create false distinctions between people who share common ground. As much as I find these remarks about my home town objectionable, I realize that if we were all in the same room together, the only thing we would be talking about would be motorbikes.

Cheers to you both, hope to see you on the road, among all the haters and servants.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #29
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Am I the only one who is going to defend Seattle here? C'mon, taxes suck everywhere! Passive aggressive? Try Bellevue for pete's sake!

Arrogant and homicidal Lexus drivers? Ever been to Kirkland?!

Fact: Seattle has the best taco trucks, best live music, best used book stores, and the best (and only?) Guzzi dealership, in Western Washington. Amiright?

ObiJohn and Watercat, we need to go riding! I began to get cranky reading these last comments, because this internet format can create false distinctions between people who share common ground. As much as I find these remarks about my home town objectionable, I realize that if we were all in the same room together, the only thing we would be talking about would be motorbikes.

Cheers to you both, hope to see you on the road, among all the haters and servants.
Yep, let's ride !

I'll apologize about the negativity/cynicism . . . . . & the crap that just spewed forth . . . . .

But, going for a ride is absolutely where it's at; and will help me get my mind back where it belongs; back in balance - At the moment, haven't been for a ride for quite a while so am a bit off kilter.

Probly suffer from SAD, too, even tho I was born & raised here.
But, probly I'm most seasonally affected by not hopping on the motorbike and going for a ride - Which I choose not to do in the freezing weather & storms, not to mention that greasy de-icer sh*t they spray on the roads.

But as far as riding on the east-side of Lake Warrrrshington - Bellevue-Kirkland,etc. . . . . I-405 - More power to you; that's for the reckless, foolish, and the brave ! ! ! ! I avoid it like the plague; can't remember the last time was over there. Yes, some serious aditudinal (big ego) drivers strutting their stuff over there ! Yikes ! ! !

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 11:24 PM
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,096
Hey Watercat, relax and go for a dirt bike ride. Soothes the mind.

Make note of my signature.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote