Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 749duc View Post
Use an easy out. Its a bit that attaches to your drill to remove bolts with sheared heads. They can be purchased at home depot. You drill them into the sheared bolt and back the sheared bolt out. You don't need a special drill for the job.
be careful about using a drill to drive an ez out. they break pretty easily doing that and then you have a much worse situation.

drill a pilot hole then thread the ez out into it by hand and use a t-handle from a tap-and-die kit to turn it. makes snapping the ez out less likely. (but, as mentioned above, consider ez outs to be a last resort...because they are so easy to break off and make things worse.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
sstrangee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Alright. I got the bolt removed. It took me all of about 15 mins.

First thing I did was punch the center as close as could. Stuck on a left handed drill bit and set my drill to reverse. Slowly drilled into the bolt. Actually drilling into the bolt made the bolt twist out. It was pretty easy.

Thanks for the help!
sstrangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstrangee View Post

First thing I did was punch the center as close as could. Stuck on a left handed drill bit and set my drill to reverse. Slowly drilled into the bolt. Actually drilling into the bolt made the bolt twist out. It was pretty easy.

Thanks for the help!

Well done. If you search here you'll find a lot of people have messed this up, mainly by panicing. A few have done quite expensive damage.

You done good

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Great job, now you have the tools and knowledge to fix in the future

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstrangee View Post

Thanks for the help!
I'm late to the party but left hand drill bits are the way to go as they drill in can loosen and removed the bolt. I've found that if they won't remove it then a easy out probaly will end up breaking in the bolt and making a big mess out of stuff.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Edit. Of COURSE I didn't see the 2nd page, and posted after it was already out. Silly me...

So long as you stay out of JM, some of these fucks are REALLY helpful

+1 on heat
+1 on penetrating oil (I like 50/50 acetone/ATF, but PB Blaster works well too)
+1 on taking the larger "assembly" off if possible
+1,000 on getting a pro to do it if you've never done it before, especially if it's threaded into something important like the frame or engine.

I've had good luck with the drill/extractor method, but if you decide to go this route, BUY A GOOD EXTRACTOR SET. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to Harbor Freight and buy these. That will make your experience 50 times more horrible, and cost you a LOT more money in the end!