ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Krazyjohnny OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Oddometer: 435
Shoei GT Air

Anyone else checked out one of these. They seem like the RF-1100 replacement helmet not certain though. Very light and it fit my head nicely. The adjustable dark shield, and pinlock adaptable clear outer shield was a great add too. Do not know how noisy it would be?
__________________
President and Founder of
Superhero Proving Grounds
"Where dreams are made and egos are checked"
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWest
Oddometer: 1,221
Shoei Air

I have one. I'm disappointed. The sizing runs just enough smaller than an 1100 XL to make the Air too snug. Not painful....just too snug. And the Air doesn't have any better air flow than my other Shoeis or Arais. The Pinlock and visor are sweet, but I already have Pinlock on other helmets and my HJC filipper has a visor.

I wish they had paid more attention to sizing. I think a "new" Shoei XL should fit like an "old" XL unless they advertise the difference.
__________________
Olyrider
Ob-la-di...Ob-la-da
OlyRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lookout Mountain - above Golden, CO
Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
I have one. I'm disappointed. The sizing runs just enough smaller than an 1100 XL to make the Air too snug. Not painful....just too snug. And the Air doesn't have any better air flow than my other Shoeis or Arais. The Pinlock and visor are sweet, but I already have Pinlock on other helmets and my HJC filipper has a visor.

I wish they had paid more attention to sizing. I think a "new" Shoei XL should fit like an "old" XL unless they advertise the difference.
I have one and it's pretty much spot on with my Shoei RF1100 as a medium. It is harder to get on but once on is comfortable. Flows more air by a bunch than my RF1100. Much quieter, too.

Just got back from a 2000+ mile trip in five days and was quite pleased with it.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
El Gato
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 649
I've had one for a while now and I love it. Far more comfortable and quieter than the X11 it replaced. For my head, the sizing and shape is far better than other Shoei's, but sizing will be purely an individual thing - it'll either work for you or it wont. Feature-wise, I love it. The airflow through the top vent is good. The flip-down visor is pure gold, and the padding is very soft and comfortable. I just did 1,100 miles in 3 days and the helmet was awesome.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer
 
MacNoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: The mosquito-y Center of Canada
Oddometer: 1,525
I have an 1100 medium. The Air is tighter around the bottom (like a Qwest) and I couldn't get my head into a medium Air. And a large Air is too big. Sticking with my 1100.
__________________
Quote:
"Ignorance, you see, can be out thought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
82 Honda C70, 71 Honda CL175, 08 Kawasaki KLR650, 85 Honda GL1200 Goldwing
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
I have one. I'm disappointed. The sizing runs just enough smaller than an 1100 XL to make the Air too snug. Not painful....just too snug. And the Air doesn't have any better air flow than my other Shoeis or Arais. The Pinlock and visor are sweet, but I already have Pinlock on other helmets and my HJC filipper has a visor.

I wish they had paid more attention to sizing. I think a "new" Shoei XL should fit like an "old" XL unless they advertise the difference.
This is my exact issue with the "new" Shoei helmets. I can't even get the 2XL GT Air on my head, but I can wear a 2XL Qwest or RF1100. It has effectively removed my ability to purchase a Shoei. I'm interested to see if it's the same with the RF1200 that was just announced - it's being billed as smaller and lighter so I'm afraid it's going to be the same story.
Regardless, the GT Air has an impressive list of features and is getting good reviews...
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,856
Love mine.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I've had one for a while now and I love it. Far more comfortable and quieter than the X11 it replaced. For my head, the sizing and shape is far better than other Shoei's, but sizing will be purely an individual thing - it'll either work for you or it wont. Feature-wise, I love it. The airflow through the top vent is good. The flip-down visor is pure gold, and the padding is very soft and comfortable. I just did 1,100 miles in 3 days and the helmet was awesome.
X-11 was my favorite helmet I've ever owned. How do you find the sizing in comparison?
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
El Gato
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
X-11 was my favorite helmet I've ever owned. How do you find the sizing in comparison?
Different. I wore a medium X11, but I had to go to a large GT Air. Beyond that, the GT Air is more oval than the X11, and has a bit more room in the forehead (which was great for me, as my X11 would cause a hot spot on my forehead on multi-day trips). A few people have mentioned that the GT Air is tight around the bottom skirt. They're right, but I never really had an issue with that. I just grab the skirt and pull it apart with my hands and put the helmet on. Once it's on I give it a tug downward to put it properly in position and it's no problem - in fact the tight skirt is a large part of why the helmet is so quiet.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
chach_86
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Oddometer: 54
I had to replace my old EXO-750 about a month ago and went back and forth between the EXO-1100 and the GT-Air. Long story short, I ended up going with the GT-Air because it fit a bit snugger. It's definitely a solid, well-built helmet with a great finish- but in the end I wish I had saved the money and got the Scorpion. Airflow is pretty decent, but it's louder than I expected considering the reviews I've read- although I think it has more to do with where the wind comes over and around my windshield. It's definitely snug- which I like- but almost to a fault. When I put it on I have to keep the faceshield up because it's almost claustrophobic with how well everything seals. The drop down visor is really nice (but something you can get on other helmets) and I find myself riding a lot with my face shield up on nice days, and the pinlock works good (although the drop down visor fogs up real quick). It's definitely nice, but I dunno... I don't honestly don't feel it's $300 better than some of the other brands.
chach_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Patch
Studly Adventurer
 
Patch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southwestern New England
Oddometer: 662
There is a longer thread on the GT-Air you could search for ... but if you aren't looking for an internal shade, the RF1200 will be available soon and it is the next in line in the RF series.

Personally I like the RFs and will be getting a 1200 this fall.

edit ... heres one thread from early summer:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=shoei
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lookout Mountain - above Golden, CO
Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by chach_86 View Post
I had to replace my old EXO-750 about a month ago and went back and forth between the EXO-1100 and the GT-Air. Long story short, I ended up going with the GT-Air because it fit a bit snugger. It's definitely a solid, well-built helmet with a great finish- but in the end I wish I had saved the money and got the Scorpion. Airflow is pretty decent, but it's louder than I expected considering the reviews I've read- although I think it has more to do with where the wind comes over and around my windshield. It's definitely snug- which I like- but almost to a fault. When I put it on I have to keep the faceshield up because it's almost claustrophobic with how well everything seals. The drop down visor is really nice (but something you can get on other helmets) and I find myself riding a lot with my face shield up on nice days, and the pinlock works good (although the drop down visor fogs up real quick). It's definitely nice, but I dunno... I don't honestly don't feel it's $300 better than some of the other brands.
I bought an EXO-1100 this spring. I only have the GT-Air because it cost me $0 (I won it in a HelmetMan giveaway). I ride in both of them but for my trip I chose the GT-Air because it is lighter, flows more air and is quieter. They feel about the same to me when on, though the GT-Air is much harder to pull on. The EXO stock internal shield is light smoke so I replaced it with a dark smoke (as I did on my previous EXO-1000). I like the pull down internal shield in both for trips and commuting, though they will fog.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer
 
MacNoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: The mosquito-y Center of Canada
Oddometer: 1,525
All kinds of vendors have RF-1100s on closeout at attractive prices.
__________________
Quote:
"Ignorance, you see, can be out thought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
82 Honda C70, 71 Honda CL175, 08 Kawasaki KLR650, 85 Honda GL1200 Goldwing
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014