User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Tell me your Hi-Viz stories...

So tell me how wearing Hi-Viz has been beneficial to you personally.

I get how it's more more visible, but I wanna hear from people who were wearing it and personally saw the benefit...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 386
Chicks dig that I wear hi-viz. It allows them to realize I am a dork from a distance and avoid me.

Motorist in general seem to respond the same way.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 50
I use to wear all black gear.

When I switched to a red aerostitch (with black "trim"), the number of times folks have pulled out in front of me has dropped at least by half. It's still nowhere near "zero", but anything to help the odds seems to be worth it.

I didn't go neon-glow yellow, but the change from black made a noticeable difference.

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
I'm debating between silver/grey gear and a hi viz jacket/black pants combo
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,303
Are there and hi-viz that combine like a blue/black color on the forearms with high viz shoulders?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
It is sometimes like they part the seas for you. I wear a Hi-viz Aerostitch suit with black ballastics.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
SouthernCruizer
Just Ride!!

Oddometer: 39
i bought this Olympia jacket in "toxic" color scheme.

The first day i had it on, with a hi viz Shoei full face helmet on a 2013 FJR 1300 with great lighting, i took off down the road, and within 1 mile, a lady in a mini van pulled out in front of me. Not 3 miles later, a dude in a pick up truck pulled out in front of me.

Safety is an illusion.

Superior brakes , acceleration, maneuverability and horns and flashing lights are the only tools we have to avoid collisions.
2004 Suzuki WeeStrom 650
2007 Kawasaki KLX250S
SouthernCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I tried wearing a hi-vis vest over my black jacket and was astounded by how often I was being cut off. I honestly think it was worse than when I was wearing all black. I'm coming to the conclusion that if one is wearing enough hi-vis that you look like a highway construction worker, or a tow truck driver, motorists will intuitively think that you are standing still, and probably leaning on a shovel.

I have put the vest away and changed helmets from all black to an aggressive patterned black / white / silver / orange / yellow / hi-vis / reflective white. The difference is astounding. Motorists notice the helmet and often do a double take. At a 4-way intersection, they will often wave me through the intersection ahead of my turn. Heck, even pedestrians with little children notice me, and often the kids wave at me. The only thing I can think is that the pattern on the helmet stands out, catches their attention, and doesn't look 'threatening' like an all black (Darth Vader?) helmet.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post

Safety is an illusion.

Superior brakes , acceleration, maneuverability and horns and flashing lights are the only tools we have to avoid collisions.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This - actually, superior situational awareness is the only tool to avoid collisions. Everything else is just making you feel safer.
el queso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
i bought this Olympia jacket in "toxic" color scheme.

The first day i had it on, with a hi viz Shoei full face helmet on a 2013 FJR 1300 with great lighting, i took off down the road, and within 1 mile, a lady in a mini van pulled out in front of me. Not 3 miles later, a dude in a pick up truck pulled out in front of me.

Safety is an illusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This - actually, superior situational awareness is the only tool to avoid collisions. Everything else is just making you feel safer.

Bingo. I regularly wear all black and black and grey. I never have all these "close calls" that the Cult of Hi-Vis goes on and on about. It makes me wonder just how much due regard are you guys using when riding surface streets.

Ridiculously bright lights facing forward and motion will do more than a hi-viz vest sitting behind a windscreen, obscured by the glare of your headlight ever thought it could.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
I have notice that with my Hi-Viz mohwak people actually point and signal me, sometimes take pictures of just the thumbs up. I don't care, but knowing that they are looking and seeing me, makes me feel better.

Damasovi
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
I prefer something a bit more subtle to get folks to notice me

Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
macbethandbanquo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I have the High Vis Olympia Vest. I like the heavy material and the cut of it. I have it in the trunk of my car when I'm travelling and not on the bike. Helps with roadside repair.

I feel you shouldn't "put all your eggs in the Hi Vis basket." Just get the Vest and wear it when you want. I put it on during rainy times and darkness, usually. (by the way, Hi Vis yellow neon gets nasty looking really quick!)

I HAVE noticed that the Red Blinking LED light (that bicycles use) that I have facing rearward, attatched to my passenger peg mount, and the Lightman STROBE XENON (used for landing lights for helicopters) attached to the crash guards on the side, get EVERYONE'S attention.

I only turn these on in "iffy" conditions.....definitely when it's raining!

I have had many comments as to the noticeability of these lights. And people give me better consideration.
The Vest DOES give sort of a "preferential consideration" to the people wearing it, with law enforcement. I know this since that was my job.
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 160
What kind of stories? I didn't get run over on my morning commute so i suppose that counts.

I don't think it helps when seen from the front since I run high beams during the day. I think it helps give me a little better visibility when I'm stopped at a light and someone is approaching from behind while texting or something since my bike is all black.

It certainly isn't causing me any problems.
jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Bingo. I regularly wear all black and black and grey. I never have all these "close calls" that the Cult of Hi-Vis goes on and on about. It makes me wonder just how much due regard are you guys using when riding surface streets.

Ridiculously bright lights facing forward and motion will do more than a hi-viz vest sitting behind a windscreen, obscured by the glare of your headlight ever thought it could.

^^ This. +

The highlighted part is the problem with seeing anything hi-viz.

I will say that on a group ride, the white and silver helmets show up more readily to the eye in a sea of moving bodies or when filtering through traffic. That said, I really don't need the guy 5 cars back to see me - just the idiot that's about to run me over.

My solution is to ride like I am invisible to the other drivers, constantly moving through and past all vehicles, leaving an out for an evasive move if required.