Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
Great footage (and editing). Having come across grizzlies in the Yukon, you got much closer to a sow with her young than I would ever want to. They move fast when they need to...

Thanks buddy.
Yes indeed. This was too close for me, especially with a mom and cub. I had been as close before with a Grizzly sow and 3 cubs at my property at Bowron Lakes B.C. several years ago. But, I was in a truck...
If you go to my blog and see the picture at the bottom, there is a fuzzy pic of them in the rain through the window of my truck
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsZk View Post
Subscribed! Following your chronicles of your ride. Looks like you had mostly great weather. We weren't as fortunate when we went on our ride this summer. Had to stick mostly to blacktop due to torrential conditions. Love your photography and also the video editing. You are a music lover I see as well. The music sets the tone for the ride. Very relaxing in my home office as I look over our snow encrusted acreage.Thanks for sharing!

I had really good weather and road conditions. It rained on me in Bella Coola and really hard one night (lightening and thunder) at my Fletcher Lake camp.

Just read your report. Looks like you had a great time with your buddy. Not so bad when you have a chum or two along to share in the misery and look back at the challenges. No matter how hard a trip was and I focus on the good times and the pictures are usually of the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Another great video GrizzLee.......and thanks for the maps!

Cheers
You're welcome. Hope it works for you. I will try and post my return route when finished.

Working on the last two videos. Stay tuned.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Day 5: Undiscovered Country

Day 5: Undiscovered Country
The undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns. - William Shakespeare.

As I left Bella Coola the next morning, I wanted to take a side trip up to a lake and get a view of the sound via the Clayton Falls Creek road. Unfortunately, there was residual clouds and fog. In talking to the locals, I wouldn’t see much, if anything. I decided to leave town and head up Heckman pass and explore the route to Chilko Lake if I could arrive there at a reasonable time. I wanted to do some exploring on some other roads if the weather allowed for it.

End of the road in Bella Coola

The ride in the valley was beautiful and is paved for approximately 50 miles before giving way to gravel at the “Hill” to go back up to the pass on the Chilcotin Plateau. The weather began improving considerably the farther inland I traveled. I made a few stops, including the “big” rock at the Kettle Pond Trail. However, there was one road I wanted to ride if at all possible. Just before ascending the road up to the pass at the head of the Bella Coola valley, there is a road (the old Tote Road) to get to the trailhead that I’ve always wanted to hike (Hunlen Falls). I had no plans to hike to Hunlen Falls, which I understand takes about 6 hours or so, but rather to explore it for future trips. The road is rough and not maintained. As I entered the road, two things caught my attention. 1) There was a notice stating that the road is not maintained and that 4x4 vehicles are recommended 2) Visitors are advised to not hike during the late afternoon, evening hours due to heavy grizzly bear activity along the river during the salmon spawning season. After my experience on the West Harrison Lake road, I did not have any desire to attempt a 4x4 trail. However, I decided to ride a ways in to see what the road was like and find an appropriate turn around point. In fact, I was hoping that I may catch another glimpse of some bears. I rode in about 3 miles or so and decided to turn around. The road was “OK”, but I figured that I was wasting time, especially if I wanted to make it to Chilko Lake that evening.

Double track road through an old burn area

Eventually I pulled back out on to hwy 20 and headed up the hill to Heckman pass. At this point, the sun was partially exposed and the dark clouds seem to be dispersing. Once at the pass, I saw the turn off for the hiking/pack trail out to the Rainbow Range in Tweedsmuir park. In fact, at some point, I believe I entered the park, most likely at the bottom of the hill. I had passed this turn off for the Rainbow ridge the last couple of trips and this time I decided to see what the trailhead looked like and maybe read about the trail and such. Again, taking note for future excursions back there. Too my surprise, there was an old 2 track road that went farther back. In fact, this road appeared on my GPS and looked like it looped back to hwy 20. I said to myself, what the heck? I’m riding alone and no one is out here. Why not go explore more remote back country. The road, was wonderful as it made it ways through an old burn area and crossed many creeks and even a horse corral. It eventually looped back to the hwy as shown, but there was a problem. The road was hiden from hwy 20 and there was abig drainage ditch that I had to cross. I did a little exploring on foot and found a way to cross where it looked as if other off road vehicles and snowmobiles have gone. No problem. I stopped for a late lunch in Nimpo Lake. I had a homemade personal pizza and poured over my maps some more. I wanted to get over to Gwedat’sih campground at the north end of the lake. I found out, in talking to the locals, that it was closed due to lots of grizzly bear activity. No problem, I see that there is a road over to another campground (NU CHUGH BENIZ) further south along Chilko Lake.

Time travel on the Chilcotin Plateau

I arrived in Tatla Lake after detouring over to One-Eyed lake and some other road near Kleena Kleene to get some gas. I was told that it was a rough road over to the other campground and that it would be long after dark when I arrived. However, there was lots of places to camp back there. I decided to go for it anyway and took off for the Chilko Lake.

No camping... BEARS and more BEARS!!!
I took a side detour over to Tatlayoko lake. It was gorgeous and if I had any smarts, I would have camped there for the night. Instead, I turned around and went towards Chilko Lake. Sure enough, soon after the turn off, I see a provincial park notice stating that the campgrounds are closed due to bear activity. I wasn’t too upset, because a few miles later, I came upon expansive views of Choelquoit Lake. I pulled off the road and climbed up the hill above the road. There were large rocks scattered about, in among the sagebrush. I sat on the ground, using one of the large rocks as a back rest for about an hour. I have never seen land like this. The mountains beyond the lake were green and lush. The landscape changed dramatically within 5 of miles. I was looking as glacier covered peaks from the comfort of a sage covered hillside.

Choelquoit Lake an the surrounding country... WOW!!

Click on this picture for a beautiful panorama

Eventually, I decided that I should be moving on. Any hopes of arriving at the campground farther south along Chilko Lake that evening were fading fast. I kept riding towards Chilko lake and came upon a handful of natives fishing for salmon. They convinced me to turn around. They repeated what I heard earlier… “The road is rough and I would arrive long after dark”. I check my maps and attempted to ride along the Chilko river back to hwy 20, eventually camping at Bull Canyon. My plan was short lived as the road I was to take, was closed due to a slide. Darn it!!! I was shunned again. I was pretty tired by this time and started heading back to Tatla lake. I came across a turnoff to Cochin Lake. I see a beautiful campsite next to the lake. For the 2nd camp on the trip. I share a campground with others. I had a very relaxing dinner with the songs of Loons and a visit by a lone otter. It was the coldest night of the trip. I curled up in in my sleeping bag with my tent flap open with fantastic lake views. I fade off to sleep, my head filled with cobwebs and pleasant thoughts about the past couple of days.

Another fantastic day comes to a close

Stay tuned for Day 6 and of course another video...
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #48
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Video - Day 5: Undiscovered Country

Video - Day 5: Undiscovered Country

"The undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns. - William Shakespeare

Enjoy the video of my ride for Day 5... Lack of time, too many side roads, too much of a good thing?!? Nope.. Just another video poem of my adventures.

Stay tuned for Day 6... One of my favorite days of the entire trip!! I think you will have to agree.

GrizzLee screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 03:40 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #49
Air_Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Excellent!

Thank you for sharing your adventure.
'08 Triumph Sprint ST
'03 Suzuki DL1000, '03 Triumph Sprint ST
Air_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #50
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Day 5..........another spectacular video.......thank you GrizzLee!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #51
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
subscribed...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #52
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Bob View Post
Excellent!

Thank you for sharing your adventure.
My pleasure. I love re-living the experience.

Quote:
Day 5..........another spectacular video.......thank you GrizzLee!
Thanks guy.. Maybe you, Mr Air_Bob and I can get together for a ride (we all live in Washington.. Correct?) Maybe go next year. I could use the help in picking up my bike in some of those areas. And more importantly, split the beer tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
subscribed...
I hope you are not disappointed.

Thanks folks!!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #53
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
GrizzLee;

I'm in BC......about 10 miles north of the border.....and yes I would like to do this trip.......was having a discussion about it with one of my riding buddies yesterday. Also sent the thread link to the rest of the riders also.

Drop me a line before you come up to Canada.......cold beer is always in the fridge!

Cheers
Old 11-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #54
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thumb

Excellent adventure. Seeing those bears made my heart race! Thank you for the ride report.
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #55
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
GrizzLee;

I'm in BC......about 10 miles north of the border.....and yes I would like to do this trip.......was having a discussion about it with one of my riding buddies yesterday. Also sent the thread link to the rest of the riders also.

Drop me a line before you come up to Canada.......cold beer is always in the fridge!

Cheers
I will take you up on your offer. Even if it is a day trip to get out of the house.

If you haven't done your Nuxalk Nation trip by next Labor Day... well, my plan is to go again and explore some more roads and see some more country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsy View Post
Excellent adventure. Seeing those bears made my heart race! Thank you for the ride report.
Thanks. Yes, the bears were special. Nothing like a mom and cub at close range. In hindsight, maybe I was a bit too close. Not on purpose though
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #56
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Chilco

By your previos track I thought you would not get to the Chilco.
I gather by your not mentioning it, you saw no signs of wild horses in the field you stopped in. My wife did last year when we were there, she even whinnied at him and got him to whinnie back, but that is all I had to prove she had seen him, because I missed him.
We had a huge cougar walk by your camp site near last light on the Chilco(way up from the lake), stood up to stretch and it was maybe 50 ft away and making for the bush. Saw and got great pictures of lots of grizzly and a huge black bear at Chilco lake, but they closed the campsite the next day and its not somewhere I would camp in a tent in that season.

I was considering biking there earlier next year to get some fly fishing in.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #57
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Grizlee..... lot of work goes into those videos you put together. I need to put some of my footage together like that but just can't seem to find the time.

I too was wondering if these were wild horses when on my trip a few months ago. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924086 I tried to get closer but they seemed pretty wary of me and the bike. We have wild horses here in Oregon but our winters aren't near as severe. If they are wild wondering where they migrate to during the harsh winter.

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #58
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
By your previos track I thought you would not get to the Chilco.
I gather by your not mentioning it, you saw no signs of wild horses in the field you stopped in. My wife did last year when we were there, she even whinnied at him and got him to whinnie back, but that is all I had to prove she had seen him, because I missed him.
We had a huge cougar walk by your camp site near last light on the Chilco(way up from the lake), stood up to stretch and it was maybe 50 ft away and making for the bush. Saw and got great pictures of lots of grizzly and a huge black bear at Chilco lake, but they closed the campsite the next day and its not somewhere I would camp in a tent in that season.

I was considering biking there earlier next year to get some fly fishing in.
I have heard of people seeing wild horses near Chilko lake.

I am not sure if I saw wild horse last year. But I did see some horses out side of Anahim lake just before the Tweedsmuir park boundary. Two years ago, I saw a native boy attempting to heard a set of horses along hwy 20 inside the park. He was having a hard time keeping them together. I did my part and pulled off the road and turned my engine off to give him the full right of way. They sure looked at bit untamed to me. But, I am not a horse guy, so I am not sure about how horses act, whether in the wild, open range or in a pasture. They have no throttle or suspension, so I've never been interested in them

Yes, the camping bit was a bit unnerving for me with my personal bear sightings and the warnings posted. I think this was subconsciously one reason why I didn't camp at Tatlayoko Lake. I was also still thinking I could make it to the southern most camp ground on Chilko lake at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Grizlee..... lot of work goes into those videos you put together. I need to put some of my footage together like that but just can't seem to find the time.

I too was wondering if these were wild horses when on my trip a few months ago.
Yes, the videos are a big time drain. Thought I'd have the last one ready tonight... but family things got in the way.

That area in your pic looks to be about the same area a fellow rider and his wife say they saw wild horses when I ran into them in Bella Coola. They didn't see any bears though ... May have changed for them after we parted ways though.

Always next year for me... hope the weather is good then.

Thanks...
Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #59
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Just beautiful pictures and man, what a great video!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #60
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
.......roger that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Just beautiful pictures and man, what a great video!
Fantastic! Thanks!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote