User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

Oddometer: 290
Question Honda PCX 150 or SYM HD 200 ?

Looking for a commuter that will be used on weekends as well.
The commute is a easy 6 mile each way 25-40 MPH ride.
Weekends windy roads with light hills. The only exception being occasional 65 MPH highways about 15-25 miles to access those weekend rides.
I'm 6ft 219lbs

I could use some real world semi-maxi light weight scooter advice from those in the know.

The PCX and HD are my two narrowed down choices.

Thank you.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,540
Tough call. Both are so close with the HD having more room.

HD is slightly faster as well.

Both very reliable.

Honda does provide superior fuel economy and also has a real oil filter.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,493
Totally biased here but for me it would be the PCX without any question. It's an awesome little scooter. Light, economical, stable, and maneuverable in good looking package.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,138
I voted with my dollars and picked the PCX. That said, either scoot should handle well what you're looking to do. If you have a Honda or an SYM dealer close to you, that might be a deciding factor. The resale on the PCX will probably be better, but that is less significant if you intend to keep the scoot a while.

Seems that owners of both are satisfied. Test rides may be hard to come by, but a "sit test" could be helpful.

Out on the scooters today, a mix of highway and city (OK, small town) riding... the more I ride the PCX, the more it impresses me.

Good luck with your decisions,
Captain Jim
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post

Out on the scooters today, a mix of highway and city (OK, small town) riding... the more I ride the PCX, the more it impresses me.
Thanks for the input as a PCX owner. I appreciate that.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
I voted with my dollars and picked the PCX. That said, either scoot should handle well what you're looking to do. If you have a Honda or an SYM dealer close to you, that might be a deciding factor. The resale on the PCX will probably be better, but that is less significant if you intend to keep the scoot a while.

Seems that owners of both are satisfied. Test rides may be hard to come by, but a "sit test" could be helpful.

Captain Jim
SYM built hundreds of thousand of "Hondas" for year's, so quality and reliability-wise it's not even a consideration. Boils down to specs, styling, and pricing then all personal choices.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
For me SYM wins hands down, for many reasons. First, I just like the look a lot better. It has more traditional scooter proportions. Doesn't look like you cut a scooter in half, and added a couple feet in the middle. Second, while it took me a while to get used to the idea of larger wheels on a scooter, I think they are functionally superior in every way. I would even like to see 17" wheels, because there would be so many more tire choices. Real motorcycle tires, that should last a lot longer than scooter tires. Third, it has more power, and would be a much better highway ride. Fourth, it actually has a carburetor, something you can work on yourself, and doesn't require any super expensive computer parts. Fifth, Valve adjustments are very easy, similar to my Zuma and Vino. You don't have to tear the whole body off the scooter to get to them. And the manufacturers specify frequent valve adjustments for smaller scooters. I can't see myself tearing a scooter apart every 2500 miles to check the valves. Sixth, you can get one for about $1000 cheaper than the PCX in most cases, because SYM dealers do not tend to add a bunch of additional dealer markup like Honda dealers do. The PCX already comes with a tacked on "destination" charge, making it's MSRP $310 higher than stated by Honda. SYM doesn't play those games. I was quoted just over $3000 OTD for a new HD200 about 2 months ago. And seventh, I believe their quality to be just as good as Honda's. For me, there is no other choice in a CVT scooter of that size and price range. If you pick something else, it will be for emotional rather than logical reasons.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Totally biased here but for me it would be the HD without any question. It's an awesome little scooter. Light, economical, stable, and maneuverable in good looking package.
Quote:

Out on the scooters today, a mix of highway and city (OK, small town) riding... the more I ride the HD, the more it impresses me.

Captain Jim
I fixed these for you.

Seriously, I was about to pull the trigger on a PCX, but I had always kept an eye out on the HD's. Then, the one I own, popped up on CL, and I jumped on it. I've put about 1500mi. on it so far, and I'm very pleased. It sits upright, kinda like a sport tourer. I've had it on the freeway a number of times(it ain't my RT, but speed wise, it holds it own).

Now if I could get gore or captn out here to SoCal, we could go at it and then we'll report first hand.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
CaptnJim
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
I fixed these for you.

Seriously, I was about to pull the trigger on a PCX, but I had always kept an eye out on the HD's. Then, the one I own, popped up on CL, and I jumped on it. I've put about 1500mi. on it so far, and I'm very pleased. It sits upright, kinda like a sport tourer. I've had it on the freeway a number of times(it ain't my RT, but speed wise, it holds it own).

Now if I could get gore or captn out here to SoCal, we could go at it and they would probably kick my ass with the PCX!!
I fixed that for you.

While I don't like being MISQUOTED (or having my words changed), it is good to hear from an owner. I never questioned the build quality of the SYM. From my perspective, they are more alike than they are different. I prefer the styling of the PCX and the fuel injection. I have owned a bunch of Hondas, and they have all given good service; never owned a SYM.

Both good scoots. Owners of both seem to be satisfied. The HD has a bit more displacement (171cc vs 153cc), the PCX gets better fuel mileage. Real world use, I would expect them to be pretty close in execution. According to the specs, the HD tops out at 72 mph (don't know if that is actual or according to the speedometer); I have had the PCX up to 68 mph (indicated). It gets "busy feeling" over 55 mph. If highway speeds were of prime importance, I'd go with something bigger than either of these two. For what the OP is asking, either of these scoots should do the job.

Human nature being what it is, most people will recommend what they spent their hard-earned bucks on.

For fun, I did a search for SYM dealers in a 300 mile radius of our home (south Texas)... zero. Same thing for Honda motorcycle dealers came up with 5. That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, since I am comfortable working on the bike, but it might matter as far as parts availability. Hopefully, Alliance Powersports can provide similar support as Honda.

Just for clarification, I did not suggest that the OP get a PCX; I said it was MY choice. I just hope he gets a scooter and gets out there for some fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

PS I had a BMW RT two bikes ago - great bike.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I fixed that for you.

While I don't like being MISQUOTED (or having my words changed), it is good to hear from an owner. I never questioned the build quality of the SYM. From my perspective, they are more alike than they are different. I prefer the styling of the PCX and the fuel injection. I have owned a bunch of Hondas, and they have all given good service; never owned a SYM.

Both good scoots. Owners of both seem to be satisfied. The HD has a bit more displacement (171cc vs 153cc), the PCX gets better fuel mileage. Real world use, I would expect them to be pretty close in execution. According to the specs, the HD tops out at 72 mph (don't know if that is actual or according to the speedometer); I have had the PCX up to 68 mph (indicated). It gets "busy feeling" over 55 mph. If highway speeds were of prime importance, I'd go with something bigger than either of these two. For what the OP is asking, either of these scoots should do the job.

Human nature being what it is, most people will recommend what they spent their hard-earned bucks on.

For fun, I did a search for SYM dealers in a 300 mile radius of our home (south Texas)... zero. Same thing for Honda motorcycle dealers came up with 5. That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, since I am comfortable working on the bike, but it might matter as far as parts availability. Hopefully, Alliance Powersports can provide similar support as Honda.

Just for clarification, I did not suggest that the OP get a PCX; I said it was MY choice. I just hope he gets a scooter and gets out there for some fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

PS I had a BMW RT two bikes ago - great bike.
You might be surprised to know that SYM may have built one of those Hondas you owned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYM_Motors

They literally built scores of bikes under contract for Honda and wearing the Honda nameplate for years. I'd own a SYM in a second, except the dealer network in So-Cal for them is nil.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Still PCX through and through. My wife owns one and she's never wrong. So, there.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Still PCX through and through. My wife owns one and she's never wrong. So, there.
That settles it.

How are you liking your Grom?

Want...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
CaptnJim
Scootist

Quote:
Best argument I've read all day!

GoGo, that was an interesting Wiki article. I never owned a Cub, but did have a 150 Dream (my first motorcycle), a CB 350 (two, count-em, two cylinders), 4 Goldwings, and I did buy a Honda Elite scooter for our daughter when she was 14. Not sure if SYM was in on any of those.

I have no beef with SYM. Those that I've seen look well-built. Owners seem happy with them. Pretty sure I said either scoot would be a good choice for the original poster. A couple times.

When it comes down to it, I'm going with whatever Gore-TX's wife decides.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Performance wise the HD200 takes the prize. Mine hit an actual 75+ mph top end with two riders. Those sixteen inch wheels make it rock solid as it cruises easily at 65+ mph with some throttle in reserve. It has a monster mid-range powerband and from a rolling 10 mph it could match our Suzuki TU250x to 55-60 mph. The HD200 was absolutely bulletproof getting about 75 mpg riding it aggressively.

The only problem is the ridiculous price of parts and their lack of availability. SYM still hasn't got their act together, so I sold mine...

Get the PCX150...

gitsum79 screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 11:43 PM
gitsum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
That settles it.

How are you liking your Grom?

Want...
I LOVE my Grom.

PCX will return 90 to 100 mpg. On regular gas. I've hit 67-68 mph on it. It will cruise at 60 mph all day. Good acceleration and will move ahead of cars at stop light.