Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #46
brian72 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post
I have a 2008 HD 200 that I bought new in May 2009. I have about 18,300 miles on it so far, with no problems. Many of the miles are 2 up, and on the highway. The more I ride it the more I like it. I do have great dealer support in my city if I need it, so far only routine maintenance has been required. I wouldn't hesitate to give a SYM HD a great recommendation.

I can't comment with any personal experience about the PCX, it looks a good in pictures. I would expect the PCX to be a great scooter too.

It would be best for OP to take both for test rides, before deciding which to buy. I doubt you will go wrong with either bike.
Thanks for the info.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #47
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
If possible, arrange for a test ride.
The Sym HD200 Evo is somewhat of a giant killer.
LOL on docking the PCX for having linked brakes and fuel injection.
The HD200 Evo model trumps the regular HD200 on brakes.
Even if you can maintain it yourself, Sym parts and service availability are a question that should be answered before buying.
Parts and service aren't that big of a deal. Most of the stuff I need like light bulbs or brake pads I get through the local Kymco dealer. Specific items like SYM OE belts or air cleaners, I order through the nearest dealer. It makes life simple to keep those items in stock. In 29000 km my valves have never needed adjusting on my SYM.

The HD 200 is actually quicker off the line than my Citycom 300 and the 72 mph top speed is actual. It would leave the Honda 150 for dead. OTOH compared to modern fuel injection, carbs are more troublesome and a pain.

It just depends what you need.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #48
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
I started an early thread on HD200s to ask about pros & cons. I've been watching them and reading all I can about them for over a year. Why? I have a motorhome, and have been looking for the lowest weight vs two person compatible scooter to replace my P200E as a carry scooter.

Everytime I've factored weight vs top speed the SYM has come to the top. That may be because it does not have FI vs the competition (therefore lighter). My wife found the HD to be comfortable from a two up perspective whereas the larger Vespas are lousy for the passenger.

I'm NOT a brand whore, so have looked with an open mind at any & everything that is not Chinese made.

The PCX is a fine scooter, but for my purposes, simply not as suitable. I have yet to buy an HD because in 6 months my local Vespa/Sym/Genuine dealer has not bothered to stock a single HD200. Between Vespa/Piaggio/Genuine they have over 80 scooters in stock but not one HD200. Does not give me confidence that they see much merit in carrying SYM....

A couple used SYMs have turned up in Atlanta lately, and I'm thinking maybe just going cheap and picking up an older used one that won't cost me much if the brand disappears from the US again.....

Good luck on your decision. If I was me and the PCX suited my purposes I'd probably go with the Honda.....

And FYI, I'm not implying I'd sell my old Vespa, this new scooter would be a utility hauler, not my dream scooter.....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I have a 2012 HD 200 EVO with 6K+ miles on the odometer. It's simply an amazing motor scooter. Lots of torque off the line, surprising acceleration up to sixty. Mine goes 75 on the speedo (don't have a GPS). Utterly reliable. I did change out the Duro OEM tires for Shinko's and it improved both ride and cornering. Installed an Iridium spark plug. I get a consistent 70 mpg.

Plus it's red.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #50
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
This is where Honda can piss one off. I've had two Kymcos and now the SYM and the break in service was $58.95 for the SYM last month. IMO $150.00 is out of hand for break in service.

Be Big,
AMAC
There is only one Honda dealer in my area that would do it for that. The others would likely be at least $100 more. Honda has issues with valves. Their VFR800 motorcycle with VTEC valves costs over $600 to do the valves on. And according to a magazine road test, all these complicated valves did was give it a flat spot around 5000 rpm, where the older model did fine. Honda is generally not known for consumer friendly products. Their beautiful new CB1100 also has a complicated and expensive valve adjustment procedure.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #51
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Honda has issues with valves.
Quote:
Honda is generally not known for consumer friendly products.

Quote:
Their beautiful new CB1100 also has a complicated and expensive valve adjustment procedure.
There's nothing complicated and expensive about shim under bucket....
It is very common in modern engines - it means the cams come out, but it also extends the time between valve lash checks.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #52
Vagabondman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I'm looking to buy a scooter this Spring. Was set on the Honda PCX150. Was just waiting to see if the updated version hits our shores first. Besides the improvements over the previous models, I was hoping to nab one in white, as I think its the best lookin.

Anyway, while waiting, I saw the SYM. Having lived in Tawain for a bit teaching English many years ago, I'm familiar with the brand. I dig the hd200, the rv200 and the citycom for diff reasons.

Not saying I'm gonna go with a SYM over the PCX, but I am looking. Gotta do some seat tests first. Luckily there are a few SYM dealerships in my area.
Vagabondman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #53
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Where is your "area"?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #54
JerryH
Vintage Rider

About the time CaptnJim bought he and his wife's PCX150's, I bought a new Zuma 125. Part of the reason was the deal I got on it (I had a trade the dealer really wanted, plus it was a leftover model, so it was already discounted) The other main reason was how easy the valves were to get to. You can adjust all 4 valves in 20 minutes and not rush. It's ok, I haven't had any problems with it, it tops out at 55, which was fine, until I found it is probably not a good idea to run a 125c scooter full throttle for thousands of miles. Now I wish I had bought the HD200. I would have been able to cruise at 55 without pushing it.

One of the main things I look for in a scooter is an upright riding position, much like a standard motorcycle. The Zuma has this, so does the HD200. I also like a flat floor, which both have. I don't like linked brakes, and they would be unacceptable on a motorcycle. But they don't seem to make much of a real world difference on a small displacement scooter. My '07 Metropolitan had linked brakes, and I didn't even know it for several weeks.

I have done a lot of valves, screw and locknut, shim over bucket, and shim under bucket. For me screw and locknut are the way to go. All my current 4 stroke bikes have screw and locknut valves, and I will never buy another bike without them (unless they are hydraulic, like my Vulcan) Hydraulic valves are a wonderful thing, and perfect for bikes that do not have easy access to the valves.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #55
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Price a couple of parts from a dealer or online. Price the air cleaner assembly, headlight assembly, front fender, and a side panel, stuff that is unique and you can't buy anywhere but the dealer, and might need if the bike fell over.
I was stunned at the price when I bought an air filter assembly for an HD200, and I think seeing the difference between these two bikes for parts that you can't get in the aftermarket or shipped reasonably from Taiwan, will probably get you sprinting towards the nearest Honda Dealer, if those are the only two bikes you are considering.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #56
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
Price a couple of parts from a dealer or online. Price the air cleaner assembly, headlight assembly, front fender, and a side panel, stuff that is unique and you can't buy anywhere but the dealer, and might need if the bike fell over.
I was stunned at the price when I bought an air filter assembly for an HD200, and I think seeing the difference between these two bikes for parts that you can't get in the aftermarket or shipped reasonably from Taiwan, will probably get you sprinting towards the nearest Honda Dealer, if those are the only two bikes you are considering.
I hear you but there are those that don't buy parts online because , get this, they don't wrench on anything anymore. For some its just that simple.

My time also represents a fair amount per hour and it's not cost effective for me and some others to due the work.

I understand where you are coming from. Its always going to be cheaper to buy from the online store. I'm time you'll be selling SYM parts.

Running to a Honda dealer because of the price of parts is a bit of a stretch.

The price of parts just doesn't dictate the choice of rides for a whole bunch of consumers.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #57
JerryH
Vintage Rider

My time is only worth $$$ at work. Which is about to go away. I work on my own stuff because I enjoy it. That's why I like simple stuff. I don't just work on mechanical things either. I have practically remodeled my house in the past 10 years. I am a total do it yourselfer.

On a bike, the parts that really count are service parts. You want to see expensive, just look at body parts prices on a Japanese sport bike or Goldwing.

But if you want to consider parts prices, you also need to consider purchase prices (actual OTD prices where you live) You can get an HD200 here for about $1500 less OTD than a PCX150. $1500 buys a lot of parts.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #58
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
I hear you but there are those that don't buy parts online because , get this, they don't wrench on anything anymore. For some its just that simple.

My time also represents a fair amount per hour and it's not cost effective for me and some others to due the work.

I understand where you are coming from. Its always going to be cheaper to buy from the online store. I'm time you'll be selling SYM parts.

Running to a Honda dealer because of the price of parts is a bit of a stretch.

The price of parts just doesn't dictate the choice of rides for a whole bunch of consumers.

Be Big,
AMAC
We do sell parts for SYM scooters. The point is not that you can get parts online cheaper, or that everyone wants to work on their own stuff, the point is that parts that you will have to buy from the Dealer or distributor for either bike are significantly more expensive and less likely to be in stock at the distributor for the SYM than the Honda. There are parts that you can only get from a dealer, like plastics, fenders, air cleaner assemblies, etc. And these are parts most people are going to want to buy, unless they want to ride around in a clapped out frankenbike held together by zipties and duct tape. Your bike is more likely to be sidelined longer if you absolutely need a part for a SYM that you have to go through the dealer network for than it will be for the Honda, no matter if you, the dealer, or some hobo you met in the bathroom at Denny's is doing the work.
This is one of the problems with a lot of bikes that are distributed by someone other than the manufacturer, prices for parts are significantly higher than they are for brands like Honda and Yamaha, and the wait for parts that you absolutely need and can't get anywhere, like replacement taillight units for the Genuine Buddy recently, can be months. And most people don't realize that until they need parts that you can't get online or aftermarket like belts and rollers. In our shop, we sold and still sell and service a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese 50cc 2 stroke scooters. And when we needed Gaskets, we'd get them from Yamaha, because they were significantly cheaper, always avaiable, and probably of better quality. If someone is looking for a commuter, that they are going to rely on to work, without a lot of down time, the Honda PCX is a much better choice.

Motovista screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 03:16 PM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #59
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,098
The HD200 is probably SYM's most popular model. Its parts should be the easiest to get. I can get any part for my bike from Cam at Scooterseals.com. Or directly through the dealer but my local dealer has shown poor customer service so they are bypassed in favor of doing the work myself.

Yes, getting the parts from Taiwan direct is a time vs cost equation. Luckily I am not in a hurry and my SYM has had zero issues during my possession. Very impressed with their quality and anyone that has ridden it has been very impressed.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #60
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
We do sell parts for SYM scooters. The point is not that you can get parts online cheaper, or that everyone wants to work on their own stuff, the point is that parts that you will have to buy from the Dealer or distributor for either bike are significantly more expensive and less likely to be in stock at the distributor for the SYM than the Honda. There are parts that you can only get from a dealer, like plastics, fenders, air cleaner assemblies, etc. And these are parts most people are going to want to buy, unless they want to ride around in a clapped out frankenbike held together by zipties and duct tape. Your bike is more likely to be sidelined longer if you absolutely need a part for a SYM that you have to go through the dealer network for than it will be for the Honda, no matter if you, the dealer, or some hobo you met in the bathroom at Denny's is doing the work.
This is one of the problems with a lot of bikes that are distributed by someone other than the manufacturer, prices for parts are significantly higher than they are for brands like Honda and Yamaha, and the wait for parts that you absolutely need and can't get anywhere, like replacement taillight units for the Genuine Buddy recently, can be months. And most people don't realize that until they need parts that you can't get online or aftermarket like belts and rollers. In our shop, we sold and still sell and service a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese 50cc 2 stroke scooters. And when we needed Gaskets, we'd get them from Yamaha, because they were significantly cheaper, always avaiable, and probably of better quality. If someone is looking for a commuter, that they are going to rely on to work, without a lot of down time, the Honda PCX is a much better choice.
Always be careful of the dude in the men's room at Disney....

I get it but

If I chose my rides by parts my garage would be empty. I am not alone just look in the driveways Across this country.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote