ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
wheeler23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Question Winter single track rides? Where to go?

Hey does anyone have a good recommendation for single track or dual sport riding areas for a northerner to visit in the winter? planning a trip for this winter (late Jan/Feb) to do some trail riding where it's a little warmer than Michigan. Looking for actual motorcycle trails and not ATV/Jeep trails. Any suggestions? Highland Park in GA. looks to be the best iv's seen so far? Thanks!!!

KTM 990 Baja Edition, KTM 250SXF, KTM 150XC
wheeler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
highland park is where most of the yankees I know come south to ride. About the same distance the other side of Atlanta is Durhamtown Plantation. Not as much good singletrack but still enough to keep you busy, plus a lot of just fun trails, MX tracks and just stuff to go play on. Worth a couple of days as well.

North GA has Moto Mountain. not as well marked/maintained, but if you are in the area it's very good.

Have heard lots about Coal Creek in TN I think? over towards Birmingham is Minooka or something, and Top Trails near Talladega if you wanted to swing by Barber Motorsports Park/Museum but still get some riding in...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Check this out -> http://trailsheaven.com/

Although Jan/Feb may not be warm enough yet here in WV.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
highland park is where most of the yankees I know come south to ride. About the same distance the other side of Atlanta is Durhamtown Plantation. Not as much good singletrack but still enough to keep you busy, plus a lot of just fun trails, MX tracks and just stuff to go play on. Worth a couple of days as well.

North GA has Moto Mountain. not as well marked/maintained, but if you are in the area it's very good.

Have heard lots about Coal Creek in TN I think? over towards Birmingham is Minooka or something, and Top Trails near Talladega if you wanted to swing by Barber Motorsports Park/Museum but still get some riding in...
i'm going to Atlanta for a conference next month. It looks like it might be worth it to bring a moto along... lots of listings here:
http://georgiaoffroad.com/facility.p...ypeid=2&status=

Looks like whissenhunt orv is along my route, is highland the best single track out of those close to Atlanta?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

whissy is decent but as per the state ORV areas the trails are all two way trails and can be busy on the weekends.

the three big "private" riding areas are usually a bit more bike friendly (highland park, durhamtown plantation and moto mountain). at Highland Park you don't even have to bring your own bike, just rent one of their new KTM's. :)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,932
Check out Brushy Mountain in western NC as well:

www.bmmspark.com

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
I'm thinking that highland park would be fun this Sunday. I need to decide whether to bring a bike or rent. Hmmm

I prefer not to ride alone but I assume there will be other enthusiasts out on the weekend.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I'm thinking that highland park would be fun this Sunday. I need to decide whether to bring a bike or rent. Hmmm

I prefer not to ride alone but I assume there will be other enthusiasts out on the weekend.
there should be plenty of folks to ride with. the rental bikes are in very good condition, it's a good chance to try something different depending upon what you ride. if you ride a 2 stroke, try out a four stroke and so on. He usually uses it as much as a demo ride for folks thinking of buying a new bike vs. just a rental program. it's nice to just show up, get your bike, ride all day, don't have to worry about gas, tires, washing the bike, trailering, etc. Just show up, ride all day, drop the bike off at the store and hit the road home. :)