ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #16
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thanks - I see it on the map now, but I don't recall ever riding Bobblet's gap. Looks pretty twisty.

Aren't there also some seasonally open trails near there? I think they parallel the BRP, but they are down in the valley.
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #17
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Bump
Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #18
TOYBARN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Bobbet's Gap is now closed and gated. Signage say open 8/1-12/31 only. Found this out two weekends ago while out riding.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYBARN View Post
Bobbet's Gap is now closed and gated. Signage say open 8/1-12/31 only. Found this out two weekends ago while out riding.
Toybarn: I scouted around the Bobbletts gap underpass at the BRP on foot. You can see where folks have gone around a dirt berm in the parking area at Bobbletts gap. Shouldn't be too difficult to get to the underpass from the parking lot....one side goes east numbered 617 on my VA delorme atlas...is it barricaded on the east side as well as on the Pico road (625 side) ?

Nice road going up to BRP marker 71 via Petites gap road from the Arcadia side
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYBARN View Post
What a joke. When I asked the USFS about this they said they were closing it in the interest of public safety. Apparently an elderly person high centered their Buick and this is the solution

I would suggest we let the powers that be know that we don't agree with the closure dates:

Actions you can take: I have spoken with Dave Whitmore who is in charge of roads in the District. Super nice guy - seems reasonable. He said this is experimental - and is seeking user input. Send him a letter letting him know you would like these roads open in the spring and not late summer. Feel free to cite your interest in dual sporting - and if you are hunter - access for spring Turkey. His email address is: davidwhitmore@fs.fed.us - you can also CC Annie Downing at adowning@fs.fed.us
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Bobblets Gap is OPEN....sort of. First, note the correct spelling. For reference, the location of the Bobbletts Gap underpass on the Blue Ridge Pkwy is N 37.46639 W 79.69942...sorry, I didn't get the exact milepost, but it's about 91, and there is a pulloff there. It is easy to walk over to the underpass. There is a gate from a county road on the east side at N 37.44844 W 79.70762, and on the west side at N37.47951 W 79.70401 and the road is called "Chair Rock Rd." The gates are both open, as of late august, and the paper sign says open from 1 Aug to mid January. Beyond the gates, it is REAL obvious there is no maintenance, with deep ruts inhabited by frogs (it's been REAL wet in the area). I was on a Honda CRF250L with street oriented tires, and the mud was a challenge after a couple hundred yards. If I woulda been on my XR400R Honda with Dunlop 606 street legal knobbies, and not riding solo, I woulda tried to go further. ATV's would have no problems going further, but would probably make it a bigger mess.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #22
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
HEADS UP

Wild Virginia - a Non Profit Sierra Club'esque group that focuses on the GW and J NF - just published a guide for aggressive road decommissioning. They specifically chose the North River Ranger District and identified roads for closure. This is the area that encompasses favorites such as Flag Pole Knob, Union Springs. Long Run, Dictum Ridge etc.

Basically they have created an arbitrary classification system to try and pressure the land managers to close roads. Criteria include things such as "Percentage of the road’s total length that falls within a Virginia Mountain Treasure".The USFS already went through a similar exercise called Transportation Analysis Planning. This whole exercise by WildVA is redundant.

To add insult to injury they included a picture of a road legal motorcycle on Flagpole as an example of illegal ATV riding. Note the turn signals on the factory legal Husqvarna.

The NRRD Road System is near and dear to my heart. Its vast and remote. One can easily enjoy several days of riding in this part of the forest. There are great dispersed camping spots and the Shenandoah 500's course is in this district.

The new GWNF Plan is overdue but expected soon. Expect more groups coming out of the woodwork soon - appealing the plan and/or trying to strong arm the USFS.

Will keep folks updated on steps and action to take when necessary.

Here is a link to the publication for those interested:

http://wildvirginia.org/wp-content/u...H-appendix.pdf

error cooled screwed with this post 11-08-2014 at 08:43 PM
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #23
Honkylicious
sup?

Oddometer: 1,125
Hate to hear of roads closing in this area. A few years ago I spent a week riding all sorts of dirt /gravel roads in this area. Best trip ever! Hope to go back again some day. Hope things will change and they open our roads!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #24
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post

To add insult to injury they included a picture of a road legal motorcycle on Flagpole as an example of illegal ATV riding. Note the turn signals on the factory legal Husqvarna.

Thanks for staying on top of this issue EC.

Publications with "hard facts" created by a motivated group of misguided and uninformed activists striking with fear is something to fear in itself. It almost seems petty to fight over the use of roads which will one day be used to deforest this resource. If the roads are not adequately maintained, fires could destroy much of the resource before a harvesting cycle can be completed due to insufficient access. This would lead to less cash flow for the already underfunded Forest Service. From my travels, the transgressions are primarily the result of local inhabitants riding off road motorcycles and ATVs where ever they please and it is obvious that they do not need roads of any kind to continue accessing the trails they have been using for decades. Closing roads seems to only keep out individuals who are already following the rules of the road and restricting access diminishes the supply of roads while demand continues to rise. More infractions and misuse are likely to follow. I believe if you give the people adequate resources to use they will less likely violate the rules and restrictions in place. I would like to see some single track routes added to the system. As nothing is actually free and much of the public never uses the National Forests directly, perhaps it is time to implement a yearly vehicle permit for those who wish to enter which would add much needed funding to a struggling system grasping at straws. I cannot believe I just said that.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,891
Wonder where they got the picture?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
Whomever is in the photo deserves an apology.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #27
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thanks for posting this EC. This is in my "backyard". I've been able to ride a 200 mile legal loop on 3/4 USFS roads & trails from my cabin. These trails & roads are very rocky & aren't damaged easily, especially when I use trials tires. My friends & I use stock mufflers to keep it quiet.

Any suggestions on what we can do to help protect these trails?
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #28
Honkylicious
sup?

hope they don't close the beautiful roads

Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #29
Honkylicious
sup?

Old 11-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
Honkylicious