User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
jesse v OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Painted "pre-primed" bodywork

My SV1000S has some rash on each side of the upper fairing from a couple track offs this season. (Don't ask... :-[ ) Simply painting it won't work; there's so much plastic ground away on one side. So, I thought about buying this unpainted fairing that is already primed, and painting it with these ColorRite aerosol kits.

I can pick up the incidental supplies locally, rather than paying ColorRite $115 plus shipping for their Aerosol Complete Repair Package.

According to ColorRite's instructional videos, they sure make it sound easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fBWTsdJC4

I've never done any real painting before. Am I crazy? If not, will one can each of color and clearcoat be enough?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Painting and refinishing can get pretty complicated, particularly if you want to end up with a top notch final product. Since no one has replied, I'll throw in my 2c. One can of color and clear for that much fairing is pretty marginal, especially if you want multiple coats or want to get color on the inside surfaces of the fairing. I would go for at least 2 of each, probably 3 (You might want the extra anyway if more track days are in the offing.)

Perhaps consider repairing the damage to the existing fairing with fiberglass and filler - you would be amazed at what can be fixed. Especially if you plan on using the damaged fairing for track use or pitching it, you don't have much to lose if it doesn't turn out well. If the majority of the fairing is OK, and you can repair it, you might get by with a spot repair like they show in the video with a smaller quantity of paint. The repair process would also be a fun learning experience.

Color match and blending the repair is the tricky part, as the original fairing color fades over time, and even advertised color matching paint often doesn't exactly match. Masking the repair area to nearby edges and lines in the part, and/or feathering the blend line can help trick the eye to overlook color mismatches, also putting a decal or sticker over a blend line can help trick the eye sometimes as well.

Don't try to put on too much paint in one coat. If I could tell one thing to someone getting into spray painting projects, that would be it.

If you plan on replacing the factory decals on the primed fairing, they can get pretty expensive too. If you go for the replacement primed fairing, you can also save some $$$ on the color-rite paint by using a close local aerosol match on the inside surfaces of the fairing that don't show so much.

Also be aware that these aftermarket fairings often require some messaging of mounting holes and such to make them fit properly. Be sure to do a fit-up before you start spraying paint. You might actually be better served to find a used factory fairing on ebay and paint the whole thing.

Expect to have to get some wet-sanding paper and polishing compound to deal with surface blemishes in the final finish (That's a whole 'nother subject)

You-tube videos and lots of patience are your friends. Don't rush anything. That's where the mistakes happen, I can assure you from experience.

I could go on and on, so I'll shut up now. I'm sure others can provide lots of information and tips. Painting and re-finishing can be as complicated as you want to make it, but like anything, the more you put into it, the better the final result will be.

Best of luck and have fun! If nothing else, it will be a huge learning experience.
vtduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
jesse v OP
Motorcyclist

THanks for the reply. I was excited for the learning experience of painting, but I decided on buying a used OEM fairing instead--I got lucky and found one on eBay in my color. Price was $185 shipped, and has no damage other than a couple barely-noticeable scratches.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
You just saved yourself a lot of hassle.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
jesse v OP
Motorcyclist