Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #61
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I think that converting the fuel delivery system is the least of your concerns right now. I hate carbs and would much rather have FI. But you've got bigger fish to fry right now. Get the thing running solid enough to get you to Or, then worry about upgrades in the future.

So what does this need again. How is that rebuilt tranny running?
Seems like a new larger tranny oil cooler is never a bad thing. The passages on old coolers can get a little funky. Does 100% of the oil flow through the cooler? If yes then defiantly consider a new cooler. A generic big one + a thermo bypass for cold weather will not run you that much money.
The motor runs good. When I first got it, as mentioned, it seemed to need constant attendance. It ran rough, it pinged, it burned and leaked oil. I now have it running on 87 octane with no pinging, all cylinders are firing, oil leaks have been greatly minimized, and the burning has been brought down to a much more manageable level. It's still loud as all hell, but it runs solid and will squeal the tires when you mash the happy pedal.

The tranmission also seems to be running much better. It's got a small leak somewhere in the line, which is to be expected considering many of the gaskets I encountered were relatively unavailable, and thus, were replaced with half a tube of RTV (applied as directed). The shifting was rough for a while, so I went in and replaced the vacuum lines and the vacuum module. The oil cooler is relatively small, maybe 8' x 8'. I don't know that all of the oil passes through it, though. It's clean, newer, and in direct line with the air flow.

I feel confident that the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, and drive shafts are as good as they are going to get without major rebuilds. I'm confident.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #62
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I feel confident that the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, and drive shafts are as good as they are going to get without major rebuilds. I'm confident.
I sort of believed you the first time but you oversold it with the second one.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #63
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 768
am i seriously the only one with the A team theme playing in the back of my head while reading this thread?
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #64
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
am i seriously the only one with the A team theme playing in the back of my head while reading this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I sort of believed you the first time but you oversold it with the second one.
What, are we playing by the rules of double negative? Just because I say I'm confident, doesn't mean I'm not confident, but rather insisting on my confidence in this rig. I wasn't so confident at first, but I'm confident enough in my mechanical abilities to turn this into a confident ride. I mean, I understand your skepticism and overall lack of confidence in the project at hand, but rest assured that I wouldn't be making this trip if I didn't have faith in the rig, and wasn't confident that I'll make it.

Shit, that word has lost all meaning, now. It took all I had to finish that paragraph.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #65
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
It took all I had to finish that paragraph.

Yep, hard-core self delusion takes way more effort than just being dumb or lying to strangers...

I will say though that I was pretty impressed with how you dealt with the transmission.

All of my tranny experiences cost way more than that and usually ended with me crying
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #66
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Yep, hard-core self delusion takes way more effort than just being dumb or lying to strangers...

I will say though that I was pretty impressed with how you dealt with the transmission.

All of my tranny experiences cost way more than that and usually ended with me crying
I've been in much worse situations. It helps to keep everything in perspective. I just keep in mind that getting all worked up and anxious about the situation is generally counter productive.

Also, big shocker, when I called the previous owner up a few days ago to let him know what happened (per his request when I bought it), I got no answer and no return call to my voice mail. Wooooooooooooo.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #67
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 211
I have no idea why I have always had an eye for 4x4 vans.

I wonder if you could get a BT4 in there?? Can you imagine??

A bio-fuel shit-hits-the-fan-Van-with-a-KTM-escape-pod!!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #68
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
I think you'll be fine.....ran mine for years with a slipping transmission.Same with the much earlier flatnose I had, Camaro 350 engine, Edelbrock intake,Holley double pumper, headers and turbo 350, spin wheels at 50 mph on damp pavement. And yours doesn't even seem to slip. A good shift kit may help and if I remember they are not too expensive.

And I was way the f....down in Mexico when the 77 started slipping between gears. Handshifted for years and then lent it to someone who did not want to listen when I explained my shifting procedure. Couldn't get out the driveway when he brought it back. Costly and not an happy experience with Mr.Transmission or whatever their name was.

I'll follow along, I really miss all 4 of them. If a good one comes my way I'll probably buy it if just to carry lumber and motorcycles. And maybe rocks and gravel as I used to. The minivan sure ain't cutting it these days....
Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #69
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Okay, this part feels counter productive towards my end goal. My understanding is that it's all, for the most part, mechanical. I don't like brains.

The main reason that heavy duty off roaders like EFI is the elimination of fueling problems when the rig is at large angles from level - where the carb's floats won't work properly. Seeing as it's a van, and not a rock crawler, I'd stick with a carb. Holley had spreadbore Quadrajet replacements, I had one on my 78 Chevy 350 after the QJ wore out the throttle shaft and the floats screwed up at <35,000 miles.

Enjoying your van resuscitation. You're doing a great job!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #70
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Keep the carb for now - It's dead simple and easy to tweak and mess with if need be.

Maybe down the road you'll want to explore and tackle a Throttle body injection swap.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 AM   #71
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher
Interesting home made (probably a custom fuel tank shop) gas tank.
Looks like the common 350/350 combo. 350 Chevy V8 with a turbo hydromatic 350 transmission.
The driver's side drop on the transfer case is interesting, they didn't use off the shelf GM parts for that. GM didn't go to driver's side differentials until '88.
The transfer case looks cast iron. What does that tag on it say? Random guess, New Process model 205?
I am questioning what is going on with the angle iron attached to the front tie rod.
Front axle looks like a Dana 44. Being of that vintage and the setup, probably a custom built part made for the conversion shop. I also see it is an 8-lug set up. So ¾ton setup. I see a bit of ID tag on one of the bolts holding the front cover on. What are all the numbers on it?
Late to the discussion and it may have already been posted...
Its not a factory conversion. Its a Pathfinder conversion

A little background about the current company...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #72
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:

I have reason to believe this IS a Quigley conversion.

You're right. I see boardrider247(?) also pointed out it was a Pathfinder conversion.
Great conversion vans! I had a 79 1 ton short wheel base, 400ci/TH400 running 35" tires. Freakin thing would climb trees!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #73
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

I'll be keeping the carb for now, but I'm seriously looking into a fuel injection setup down the line. As I mentioned, I just don't want to complicate the system. When the solar flares hit, the grid collapses, and the zombies roam the streets, I'd like to be one of the few still on the move. I'll start my own gang. It'll be fun.

I had my good buddy take it for a brief ride today. He's pretty savvy with engines, with a bunch of experience under his belt. After romping on it, he mentioned something along the lines of "It's got a shift kit." I... don't really know what that's all about, but it sounds good. When I drive it like a grandmother, you barely feel the shifts. When he stomped on it, it wound out, shifted hard yet quick and firm. It idles a bit rough, but the moment you give it some gas it smooths right out. I may make a video and post it just some some of you wizards can hear it in action. He also recommended that I either re-gear the axles, or do a straight up swap to get out of the wicked low gearing. I'll likely hold off on this until after I see how an overdrive transmission changes things.

Thanks for the Pathfinder links, as well. I looked into it and contacted the owner via Email. It sounds like the company went under a while ago, but there's still this guy selling off the old stock. I found it a bit odd, however, that the FAQ for the website includes the ten most common questions and they're all about the Mormon faith.

I've been spending the last few days getting ready for the drive north. I've got 2.89 motorcycles that I need to fit inside, plus all my worldly possessions. The spare tires are strapped to the roof, and the hitch hauler on the back. I'll be going out tomorrow and having the security lugs removed and replaced with standard lugs, seeing as I'm lacking the security tool to remove the tire. Still no jack, lug wrenches, or plugs, so I'll get a can of fix a flat and throw some pennies in the local collection box to earn some karma.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #74
Crankbear
CrankBear

Oddometer: 5
40 miles in...

... and only half a spliff... A very modest effort indeed. Totally responsible dude!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #75
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,065
That's just fucking cool.

I almost bought a clapped out '03 EXC from a guy who had a nice 4x4 conversion in a late 90's Ford van. He bought it from, I want to say, a vending machine company, because their drivers kept rolling them over in ditches, so they were selling all of them off.

We have some newer ones at work, and I've taken them off road, they feel weird off road, not like a truck at all. But they get the job done if your goal is to get somewhere with it, and not use it as a 4x4 toy-rock crawler-mud machine-dune buggy etc.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: