Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #76
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I'll be keeping the carb for now, but I'm seriously looking into a fuel injection setup down the line. He also recommended that I either re-gear the axles, or do a straight up swap to get out of the wicked low gearing. I'll likely hold off on this until after I see how an overdrive transmission changes things.

Keep the carb, it's a good one and just fine for a van.

I'd leave the 3 speed trans and gearing too. The way I'd get my cruising rpm down would be a little lift and some 35" tires.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #77
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,159
Are you gonna be DaFoole's new caretaker up in Oreygun?

This looks like an awesome build, I'm in.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #78
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Are you gonna be DaFoole's new caretaker up in Oreygun?
Yup

Edit: I've been given the task of setting up this nice little plot of land nestled between logging country and the dunes as an ADVRider base camp. A shop, fire pit, 4 acres, and only a handful of miles away from not only beach riding and the dunes, but the PNW forests. It's gonna be fun. People show up, make camp, and ride until there's no tread left.

Parepin screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 01:11 PM
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #79
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,228
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #80
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Yup

Edit: I've been given the task of setting up this nice little plot of land nestled between logging country and the dunes as an ADVRider base camp. A shop, fire pit, 4 acres, and only a handful of miles away from not only beach riding and the dunes, but the PNW forests. It's gonna be fun. People show up, make camp, and ride until there's no tread left.
Fook yeah!! That sounds awesome!

Mikey's a great guy.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #81
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

So I made it to Oregon with three bikes in tow. I've been out here on DaFoole's property for a few weeks now, cleaning things up and getting everything orderly. I've been looking for work and what have you, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking back to the van.

So, I'm going to have to do something drastic about this motor. The entire ride up was nerve wracking. 1200 miles of not knowing whether or not I'll make the next hill. It's loud. It knocks. There's no power, and it consumes nearly as much oil as it does fuel. On the plus side, I've gained quite a few MPG in my efforts of resurrecting and cleaning this motor.

On the down side, I blew it up 400 miles from Oregon.

Don't know what happened, really. I haven't done much digging. On a hill just outside of Eureka, CA, I noticed a distinct lack of power. The headlights of a passing car informed me of just how much smoke was finding its way into the cab. There's metal on the dipstick... I spun the ride around and coasted to the next town where I had U-haul take care of the rest.

So now I'm on the hunt for a remanufactured motor. This is where I need some input. I've just spent the last hour and some change googling and making phone calls. I've learned the difference between the terms "Long Block" and "Short block", as well as the significance of a two piece or a one piece rear. This is what I'm fairly certain I'm going for: A reman. 350 with a two piece rear, two bolt, vortec heads. I want to keep the edelbrock carb, which means a new intake. One of the guys I just spoke to recommended changing out something for something, free of charge, for more torque. I couldn't understand what the "Something" was due to a southern drawl.

So, here's some input that I need. A recommended setup, a respectable business to work with, and a good warranty would be nice. I figure this motor bolted up to a four speed, keeping the gearing the same, might just get me some half decent mileage. I'm hoping not to break the bank, though, as this purchase will be put onto my newly acquired Chase credit card. No interest for 15 months.....

By the way, this part of Oregon is effing amazing.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #82
Cycle61
wannabe

Oddometer: 325
Oof. Glad you made it to your destination. You have a place to work on this, or is it going to be under a tarp until it's running again? Weather is definitely no longer summer in that part of the country.

As for an engine, if I were buying a crate motor, I'd go with a mild build from Summit or Jegs. It'll feel like a race car compared to your old wiped out SB, you can get it set up basically any way you want$, and many of them come with a warranty.
Cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #83
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle61 View Post
Oof. Glad you made it to your destination. You have a place to work on this, or is it going to be under a tarp until it's running again? Weather is definitely no longer summer in that part of the country.

As for an engine, if I were buying a crate motor, I'd go with a mild build from Summit or Jegs. It'll feel like a race car compared to your old wiped out SB, you can get it set up basically any way you want$, and many of them come with a warranty.
There's a very nice shop I'll be working in, complete with wood stove. What I can't wrap my head around is how I'm going to pull this motor. It's UNDER the cab, so the best I can figure would be to block it up from the ground the roll the van backwards away from it.

I looked into both Jegs and Summit, but they want big money for their base model. I was hoping to keep it around $1500, and these two would easily take me into the $2000 range. Though, if they're reputable, it may be the way to go...
Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #84
Cycle61
wannabe

They're certainly reputable, but at the same time, 350's are about the most ubiquitous motor ever built, and I'd bet that there are still local shops doing short block rebuilds for less money than a crate motor.

That said, if you need a evening of help next week, the GF and I are headed northbound from SF to Seattle, and I'd be happy to help if there's a place to crash for the night.

PS, for all the 6.2l diesel haters, mine pulled 12,000 pounds over Siskiyou pass last week.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #85
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Summit racing has this for $1,500

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...make/chevrolet

Doesn't seem to be anything special. Not that I expected it, considering this is their cheapest setup. I see no mention of Vortec heads, though I admit I don't know much about the heads that come with this motor. I read that vortec heads vs. the stock ones found on my van are the quickest, easiest, and an affordable way to not only increase horsepower, but overall mileage. I'm sure there are other heads out there, I just know of the vortec from my limited research.

So 1500 for a basic motor, 100-200 for an intake to go with the carb, and I should be good to go. Free shipping, but only a 12 month warranty. They've got a big list of cars that apply for the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty, but they seem to juke right around my specific make/model/year.

There are a few other motors listed, some making mention of VIN codes (K), though I've no idea what that means.

Jegs offers this
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=752506

Same questions apply as before, though.

I'd hate to go used/junkyard find simply due to budget.... but... yeesh.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #86
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle61 View Post
They're certainly reputable, but at the same time, 350's are about the most ubiquitous motor ever built, and I'd bet that there are still local shops doing short block rebuilds for less money than a crate motor.

That said, if you need a evening of help next week, the GF and I are headed northbound from SF to Seattle, and I'd be happy to help if there's a place to crash for the night.

PS, for all the 6.2l diesel haters, mine pulled 12,000 pounds over Siskiyou pass last week.
Sounds good, if nothing else, then to have a few beers. I just moved in, so it's nothing special, but there's a couple warm beds around. PM sent.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #87
Cycle61
wannabe

That's exactly the engine I was looking at. As long as the accessories on your existing engine are in serviceable condition, that's a good starting point. 195 horsepower, I'm moving a much bigger rig with less power than that. It's just slow.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #88
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,975
How much are junkyard motors these days?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #89
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
How much are junkyard motors these days?
Dunno. Haven't made that call. From what I hear, they can be had for as little as a few hundred dollars at the pick N pull. If I took my time, I could probably pick and pull the exact parts that I need, assemble in the yard, and buy it as a single pulled motor. Aside from my overall ignorance on the 350, the logistics of this are going to be an issue. Also, the lack of warranty and all the unknowns just make me nervous. I don't know exactly how far you can really DIG into a motor when It's blocked up on rims in the rain.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #90
Cycle61
wannabe

Seems like that would be difficult, at best. Anything wrong with the accessories on the current motor? And I would budget $50-100 for some decent aftermarket gauges. The GM stuff, especially if they're electrical, are absolute garbage. Oil pressure gauge on my '84 used to bottom out at 45psi, and fluctuate wildly whenever the cruise control activated. F that crap. New mechanical one reads dead solid 40 psi on the highway, and 18 at idle. Cheap peace of mind for $30.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: