Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Laugh Phantom Leaves and Lines of Coal Hollow OH - 10/26/13

THE HAUNTING LEAVES OF COAL HOLLOW, Saturday 10/26/13
It was quite a chilly morning, when first we heard the wonderful sound of 2-stroke trials bikes today. The frost was thick and crisp on everything from grass to grips. Hating to be cold, I dressed quite heavily and got ready to go. The first segment of the loop was the most difficult – a significant part being the fall leaves covering everything and hiding ruts, rocks, and, well, everything. It was a lonnnng 4-wheeler downhill through the woods, with two serious, deep ruts, and lots of crisscrossing runoff dry-rivulets. On each loop I tried a different line at the most difficult part of the drop.
Section one had the feel of most of the novice sections today – nothing too large, nothing too scary, but really good technical challenges. We started with a tight 180 immediately inside the In Gate – being careful not to go so wide that we crossed track to come back out a moment later, after a 2nd hard 180 that this time was both flanked by a massive downed tree trunk and also had several other barriers, requiring the novice to take care and position the bike properly through the turn. Immediately after we crossed beside our prior track, we had to make a hard 90, a short treck and another hard 90 so that we were riding parallel to the big downed log again, this time on its left side. A few bike lengths later, a more sweeping left and over a small log, sweep the rest of the left, careful again not to cross your own track, step down the creek bank, ride across to the little creekling to the checker. Done!
I walked the intermediate lines of every section today – and this section began the same as novice, but where novice took the 2nd 180, intermediate instead had to go farther beside the downed tree, and then hook a hard turn more than 90 degrees, and wheelie across the log at an angle so as to land on and cross a second log that was nearly perpendicular to the tree. The other option was to cross the first tree even farther to the right, square a hard turn and immediately clutch wheelie the 2nd log. I saw no intermediates try the 2nd option line throughout the day. They then crossed the same small log on the far side of the section as the novices, rode past the novice drop off into the creek and instead joined the upper classmen in taking a more challenging drop into the creek and from a less desirable entry angle.
Out the loop, mostly along more 4-wheeler paths, across the creek a few more times, and we’ve found section two. Here, every class rode past the entry gate and turned a 180 on the road, into the in gate, and dropped down a short bank. Novice and intermediate turned a 90 degree right, avoiding a small drop off that the other classes had to enter and tackle a big rock; we then went up a shallow bank, between a pair of trees with a bit of step; here novice simply went straight out the exit, while intermediate had to turn right across the mild off camber, then a nearly 90 left to go between two peg-eating jutting rocks, then continue the left bank to the exit. The entry of the section wasn’t difficult, yet somehow on 2 of the 3 loops, the gravity monster pulled my right foot from the peg to take a completely useless ‘toe dab’ as I came around the corner.
A bit of loop, whoopties through puddles, and we’re at section 3. The novice line here was seemingly simple, and again pleasantly safe, but still had several points that could easily draw dabs – including the entry. We cut across the road at about a 45 to get into the section and the In Gate was just above the road, so we bobbled over some ruts and roots, then were in the section on a mild climb. We hugged the right ribbon as we climbed up the bank, around/over some small rocks, and then over a 4” root with a funny bulb on it, climb some more, and then a mild fall off curve out of the section and onto a rocky road. The road after the section was rough but easily paddled down, and I found myself thanking the trials masters for not asking us to ride down those loose bowlingball-ish rocks inside the section! The intermediates had a very different line, essentially hugging the LEFT ribbon, including having to cross a 6” or so log at a mildly awkward angle, then out the same exit.
A stone’s throw later, we were at section 4. This was a fun challenge of a section, with novices having literally nearly a dozen options available. We entered perpendicular to the road, rolling up and over a flat plate of rock to cross through our first gate – and then the section was wide open. You could immediately take a challenging right turn between two larger rock steps, weave around some more rocks, roll over another rock plate and then exit. I chose, instead, to hug the left ribbon, rolling over a rock plate not quite as long as my wheelbase, squeaking between the tape and a rock step that was just slightly lower than my foot peg. Then, I could go no farther along the tape due to other class markers, so I swept a long easy right 180, joined the left ribbon, dodging rock lips as we went, and finally, turned a hard 180 across several loose segments of vines just the right thickness to double as high school gym climbing ropes! The intermediate line was quite similar to my novice line – they entered over the rock plate but aiming a bit more toward the centerline of the section rather than hugging the left side; just a bit farther, they had to drop off that rock plate and 2’ later lift the front wheel slightly to step back up about a 10” rock step, then weave through some more rocks and turn the right 180 to join my line. After my day was over, I re-rode this section, cleaning the intermediate line. Yeah!
Time to go downhill again, working our way to section 5. This down, like the prior one, was relatively rutted and had a few spots that could’ve been dangerous, but we found our way to the VERY slippery flat creek rocks at its base. Time to line up to enter section 5. This section, again, gave the novices several choices. We began right up against the left bank of the creek, rolling through a puddle and over a small slippery stick to enter the gate. Now, we had 3 choices to get up the left bank – either make a very quick hard left up a rocky angled step that looked outside my skillset; swing wider right to lineup, go 3-4 feet farther upstream, make a hard left to climb the rocky step more square and between two trees, or my preferred line which was to open up the angle of that turn a little, taking a different line up the rock ledges of the bank at a nicer angle. The problem? Now I need to get whoaed down, swing harder left to get into a better position for my next obstacle – riding along the next higher segment of bank, turning a 120 degrees around a tree with a rotted hunk of 6” log on the backside just for fun. Time to finish the corner, drop back into the creek, don’t cross your own line, come to the other bank, ride along the bank managing NOT to hit the larger shale step and instead clear a nice line that doesn’t cause you to nearly run over the marker and OUT! On my 3rd loop, I rode the same angled step up the bank, planning to plant a foot for a one around the tree, but got over-confident and thought I could float the bike slightly up the bank and over the log instead for a clean. NOPE. Caught the front wheel on a more solid segment of the log and stalled for a five. Big sigh, but time to move on. (The intermediates began the same as novice, but instead of riding parallel to the left bank to the exit they had to climb a steep, slippery segment about 6’ tall, around a tree, and drop back down to the creek to exit. Definitely outside my confidence level today – especially with those fun fall leaves yet again hiding all sorts of stuff!)
For the next 30’ of creek, we needed to ride as if we were on ice because, well, for all intents and purposes, we were! The ultra flat shale plates were covered with a thin slime of moss and were super slick. Luckily, as soon as we turned the corner with the creek, that level of slipperiness was gone, and we were on our way to #6.
Section 6 seemed like such a simple line for novices – simply cross the creek, ride straight ahead 25’ in a rock garden, sweep a large right hand 180 with a reasonable amount of room for about 1/2-way-to-lock turn, and ride back down the rock garden to the exit. While it seemed simple, the jutting rocks everywhere and the tightness of the turn made it easy to draw novice dabs (I didn’t today, woohoo!) The intermediates went up the rock garden as we did, made a 90 and up a steep but short bank, across a plateau, and then down an even steeper bank segment that was fairly slick, to return to the checker. Mike shares that just one turn of this section had the leaves affect the ‘feel’ of the section – on his second loop, it appeared they were clear and a nice road had emerged; he took a softer line instead of floating high and safe – to find himself spinning and slipping on the leaves!
Over the rivers and UPP through the woods, to section 7 we go! We climbed and turned and twisted and eventually came to a brand new length of single track obviously cut just for us into the woods, to take us to the most impressive rock outcropping we saw all day!! Novices line was highly technical but again not terribly scary. We entered going horizontal on a little flat plane break from the offcamber bank, along the edge of a rock lip, then the ideal line was through a pair of just-wider-than-bars trees, and a not-quite-full-lock right hand 90; now climb UP instead of across the off camber, with a bit of steering control required to avoid trees, rocks jutting about, and other odds and ends, to another plateau, then weave through the sharks teeth and out the exit. Twice I managed to pull off the turn on a 1, only to take 2 other silly dabs! It was AMAZING to get to see champion Karl Davis go up the massive rock ledges in this section – easily 12’ in height. WOW.
Snake through a bit of woods, coast down the road 20’, and turn left to enter section 8 -- rolling down a mild bank, squeaking through rocks along the way, work a higher line to the left of the main path sets you up for a sweeping lefthand uphill on the offcamber around some trees and rocks, then continue the climb out between some more rock juts to the exit! I managed to clean this section, twice I think, even though it was fairly technical. The intermediates rode a similar line, with one extra turn across the off camber through a relatively tight two-tree gate and out.
And now it’s time to get yourself out of this basin and back to the high plateau and the pitts. The trials masters were very kind to their less skilled riders, providing an option to climb about 1/3 of the way up the hill then turn left and work a long set of switchbacks, rather than attempting the steep climb up and out. This route was far more novice friendly and my only silly mistake on it was to hit a water hole going a bit too quickly, slipping on the left bank and, realizing my bike was pointing to a mild downhill bank and a bunch of trees, I chose an emergency dismount. Apologizing to Gizmo, I got back on the trail and on we went.
Across the grassy plains, by the trucks and to section 9. This was a small stadium section right by the scoring camper. For novice, we dropped down a small bank, wove around a downed tree, either rode across an offcamber or hugged close to another log, pulled a sharp 90 on the smooth grass, wove around a big hunk of log the upper classes were having to scale, and we were out. The intermediate line began with the same small bank, but they pulled a 180, had about 2 bike lengths’ run, and went right back up the bank, crossing a 6” log at the top; the tape gave them only about 1-1/4 bike lengths to get whoa’d before blowing out the tape; pull a 180, and go back down over the log; once back on the flat, they turned another hard left 90 and had to wheelie over the low end of the massive downed log and then turn and exit. I tried to ride the section later in the day, and was pleased to get up the bank/log, and – separately – to get down the log and bank. I didn’t attempt the larger log, though.
Watching the upper riders in this section was so fascinating. The various classes crossed the large log at various points – with it well off the ground for the top classes; advanced went straight up and over a 22” log chunk that had just a funny off angle. The champs had to square up to a massive wall – a tractor tire with a huge hunk of log on top for a total climb height of 6’!!!! We had the honor of watching champ rider Karl Davis “play” on these 2 pieces of log, at one point hopping up onto the advanced log, balancing on it in a wheelie, then hopping up onto the 6-footer and riding off!
It was a chilly but beautiful day and a lot of fun riding. The loop had some very challenging spots for a novice, but I didn’t see a lot of obvious options to change it. On some of the downhills, a new trail could’ve been cut that wouldn’t have been so rutted, which would’ve been helpful. Had mother nature not provided a good bit of moisture this week so the trails were drier would’ve helped a touch. Outwitting the fall leaves was the theme of the day, and added their own challenge.
The land owner was a joy to talk with, and was really enjoying watching the event…he even mentioned that he rode a Honda trials bike in the 70s and is considering getting back into the sport! Can’t wait to see Coal Hollow next year!

PS: that silly 5 I took moved me from first to 4th today. The youngsters beat me again...

amcross screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 06:38 PM
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,010
Nice report. I felt I was riding in autumn temps in a creepy place. My eyes got a little cross-eyed by the end with the black text and no paragraphs, however

It does suck to get knocked back several places with a 5.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 846
I love these reports, its like being there without having to drive all the way from ID (25+ hrs) to be there. Thanks!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Nice report. I felt I was riding in autumn temps in a creepy place. My eyes got a little cross-eyed by the end with the black text and no paragraphs, however

It does suck to get knocked back several places with a 5.
weirrrrd...I neither set the text to black nor took out the paragraph breaks, and now it won't let me fix it. :(
Old 10-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

I just highlighted the post and it put a blue background behind the text and showed it in white. Workaround but was better than the black text... maybe try changing it to yellow or something like that???
Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

that's better! i had to cut and paste it back into the edit box. it worked!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

yes much better.