Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #16
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Or you could speed up.....then, you would already be past that point on the road when the deer decides to cross...
Do you get wetter
Running through the rain
Or walking through it.
Cheers

Trivia
Mosquitoes ride the raindrops down
Then get off before they hit the ground
Unless they are close to the ground
When they hitch a ride.
That's why there are still Mosies
When it rains.
Lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
390beretta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Dakez, I agree with you! I must have missed the first four rules, can you re-post them? (Gotta be something you said that I don't agree with)
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
They need to move the deer crossing signs so the deer will cross the road in slower traffic areas where it makes more sense. Maybe put them at school crossings?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Taking the 990 adv for a last ride before the hibernation. Tight right hand turn, narrow strip of gravel which I saw when the front tyre was already on it. The front stepped sideways, no drama as I wasn't flat out because the road was wet after few days of rain. My fault?
Be what it may, gravel on blacktop can be like roller bearings, and has caused me more 'oh shit' moments than anything else I can think of.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 129
I'm going out on a limb here, but I am thinking that woman is a blonde. She is an airhead for sure. The scary thing is she possesses a driver's license. If that isn't a warning to be on the lookout for other drivers, I don't know what is.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #21
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I had a motorhome come around a hairpin on Palomar mtn. in my lane once. Nothing I could do except not be there. I jumped off the inside and he squashed a perfectly awesome 82 Suzuki Katana (wish I still had that bike). I did dent his bumper real good though!

I've wrecked 18 times on the street (that I can remember) so based on my record the percentage not my fault would be 5%+/-.
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
beendog
Banned

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post

I've wrecked 18 times on the street (that I can remember) so based on my record the percentage not my fault would be 5%+/-.
Not gonna quit while ahead Haha? How many years per so I know how I am measuring up?
beendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beendog View Post
Not gonna quit while ahead Haha? How many years per so I know how I am measuring up?
I've been riding since the mid seventies. Raced professionally for four years in the mid 80's. One was from leaving the side stand down, one from a car turning left in front of me, one (my very first) I rear ended a car that had its left turn signal on then decided to pull to the right curb to park as I was passing on the right. The last one a couple years ago was a sticky throttle on a 86 GSXR 750 I rebuilt. I tucked the front. Coming into a corner at 60mph was a bad time to find out the throttle was sticking. The rest were low sides. That, of course, is not counting off road and race track crashes. Zero broken bones and no lingering injuries.

Homey screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 05:48 PM
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 761
Borrowing a phrase from the aviation world, the superior pilot uses superior judgment to avoid situations which would require superior skill to survive.

As in any survival situation, situational awareness is the most critical element. It matters less where and why the threat originates than that you detect it in time and act to get out of harm's way.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #25
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Accidents are caused by a chain of bad decisions. Remove one link and the chain is broken and the accident is avoided. Getting on the bike is the first link. Lol
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 469
No, CRASHES are caused by a chain of events, in which more than likely the RIDER is the "master link" in the chain that can easily break it to avoid the crash.

I too, fully agree with the OP. Because it all comes down to the rider's ATTITUDE about riding. For me, my attitude about riding is my top level guiding principle for riding. This is my attitude about riding, so take it for what it's worth:
  • NO ONE, but ME, is responsible for reducing my risk of riding,
  • ME, FIRST, is the first step to analyzing why I have traffic issues,
  • I am the one responsible to maintain a very high level of situational awareness of all traffic issues around me,
  • I expect NOTHING of other road users, ride like I am not there,
  • In every crash I have been in (four), ALL have been my fault, first,
  • I treat EVERY ride as a learning experience, because I DON'T know it all and there are far too many variables,
  • It is up to ME, to make myself visible, maintain my lane, my space cushion, sightlines, path of travel, etc,
  • I wear the gear I feel is needed to protect what is important, such a full face helmet, because I value my brain first,
  • I get the training I need to stay on top of my riding game,
  • I ride every ride, the best I can.
No one has to agree with these. But, I can say since I took on this attitude almost 20 years ago, I have VERY few traffic issues, I rarely have cars turn into me (if I do, I saw it coming), rarely have cars take my lane, have NO need for loud pipes, in fact I "may" have used my horn in defense maybe once in the last five years. I ride about 10,000 miles a year, about three times the national average. You ride your ride your way, but I can say this attitude has worked VERY well for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
We are supposed to listen to someone who had 10 crashes?
Ive probably had 100's,but 99.99% have been in the dirt.

Dakez has listed some great ways to avoid getting smacked by our nations legions of relaxed cage drivers,they get more safety cocoon equipment every year in newer cars,why should they worry?

But we gotta make up for their boredom and somnambulence.

1. Dont ride through an intersection like you own the place because the light is green,intersection is the most likely place to get taken out,look,look,look again and give a green light a beat or two to see who storms the red light with the throttle pinned.
College kids on bikes around here lane split at full chat everywhere,right through intersections and leading up to them.
They probably have yet to have their first grinding crash,they are young and immortal,dont ride like that. Roads arent a playground.

2.If your pissed off,running late,sleepy,having just a beer or two,dont ride the bike. I read 80% of bike crashes are single vehicle owner error and alcohol is involved in a big %.
Just how lucky do you feel?

Im sure others will chime in.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #28
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
Borrowing a phrase from the aviation world, the superior pilot uses superior judgment to avoid situations which would require superior skill to survive.

As in any survival situation, situational awareness is the most critical element. It matters less where and why the threat originates than that you detect it in time and act to get out of harm's way.
Situational awareness indeed.

Looking ahead and realizing what could happen a block before you get there is how crashes are avoided,looking ahead not at your fender or GPS.
Its a thinking thing. Works on dirtbikes or streetbikes both.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
ALL: Yes. I would think so.
I would bet that Hillary, before he got to the top, asked a lot of people who didn't make the top of Everest and fell off, "What seemed to be the problem?" I believe that the Wrights kept track of others' progress for similar reasons.

Not counting 'dirt fun' crashes, I probably have 20-30 crashes to my credit, lifetime, so far. And I am reading this thread hoping to pick up something useful.

OTOH: I have followed a few riders who have never crashed or fallen off. If I had to ride like that all the time, I would sell the bike and be done with riding ever again.
I dunno bout that last one,Ive ridden with guys who ride at a nice sporting pace and have 0 crashes to their record.

And Ive known,not ridden with, squids who can crash in a straight line on dry pavement,mind wandering them right off the road.

Ive ridden streetbikes since high school,1975 grad.

I got some crashes out of the way early but have had amazing luck and near no drama the last couple decades or more,I try to watch what Im doing and stay current on my dirtbike which helps loads with the street.
But I do wick it up a bit on the nice backroads,but not too much...there's a limit and straightaway speed isnt the thing for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #30
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
the article that article links to is pretty funny...

"here are a bunch of pictures of how fucked up i got when i low-sided because i was riding in jeans. riding in jeans is stupid, and these pictures show you why. will i ride in jeans again in the future? you betchya!"

to each his own, i guess...
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote