Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #31
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Situational awareness indeed.

Looking ahead and realizing what could happen a block before you get there is how crashes are avoided,looking ahead not at your fender or GPS.
Its a thinking thing. Works on dirtbikes or streetbikes both.
Yet in many classes, dirtbike riders looking to get endorsed try to explain to me (because I'm just a st00pid streetbike guy, what do I know) that they have to look at the ground in front of the bike to avoid stuff. When I suggest they'd be better off looking up to find the rut/root/puddle sooner so they can avoid it, they tell me I just don't understand.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I had a motorhome come around a hairpin on Palomar mtn. in my lane once. Nothing I could do except not be there. I jumped off the inside and he squashed a perfectly awesome 82 Suzuki Katana (wish I still had that bike). I did dent his bumper real good though!

I've wrecked 18 times on the street (that I can remember) so based on my record the percentage not my fault would be 5%+/-.
18 times,dang you are a lucky boy to still be with us. Ive flipped an RD350 over backwards twice on the street,high sided on a greasy new back tire once..... many years ago and nothing since. I hate roadrash.

(knock on wood) I know I could go down at any time though.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #33
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
Borrowing a phrase from the aviation world, the superior pilot uses superior judgment to avoid situations which would require superior skill to survive.

As in any survival situation, situational awareness is the most critical element. It matters less where and why the threat originates than that you detect it in time and act to get out of harm's way.
+1 on the above, to quote you colonials.....Shit Happens, so learn to deal with it when it does
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Yet in many classes, dirtbike riders looking to get endorsed try to explain to me (because I'm just a st00pid streetbike guy, what do I know) that they have to look at the ground in front of the bike to avoid stuff. When I suggest they'd be better off looking up to find the rut/root/puddle sooner so they can avoid it, they tell me I just don't understand.
Those are what you call,"wannabe" dirt riders,the best and fastest dirt or street riders have that far off gaze looking ahead and planning their moves well before they get there.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
mtnbikeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Those are what you call,"wannabe" dirt riders,the best and fastest dirt or street riders have that far off gaze looking ahead and planning their moves well before they get there.
This. I just participated in a sand riding clinic over the weekend at an ADV rally (RTB 4). The instructor emphasized looking up and ahead. "You can't do anything about the terrain immediately in front of your tire. You're already there" On his cone slalom course he wanted us looking 3-4 cones ahead, even at 10 mph.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #36
Vampir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
I read 80% of bike crashes are single vehicle owner error and alcohol is involved in a big %.
In the MSF classes, they say between 33-50% of motorcycle crashes are directly attributable to the rider drinking alcohol. They add that even as low as having one drink starts to impact performance as the primary systems that alcohol affects are those critical for SIPDE.

The point they make repeatedly is that drinking is for after you are done riding for the day.
Vampir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #37
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
Accidents are caused by a chain of bad decisions. Remove one link and the chain is broken and the accident is avoided. Getting on the bike is the first link. Lol
I'm thinking this is the only way you can say 98%
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #38
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,631
Dirt riding and street riding, I study what is close and what is far from my front wheel, and on the street, what is behind and next to me.
Dirt riding, I always have to pick a line, and look for other bikes/jeeps/horses/hikers on the trail well in advance.
50 or 60 mph does not give you lots of time to slow down for something coming the other way.

Since a very young age, I do not go around blind turns faster then I can react for something being in the trail or street. Even if its a wet spot on the road.

I have not been down on the street in 35 years.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #39
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir View Post
In the MSF classes, they say between 33-50% of motorcycle crashes are directly attributable to the rider drinking alcohol.
I can't say "directly" or "crashes"- but the way it was presented to us (in MSF Instructor Prep, 2002) was that in 50% (at the time, the 33-50% range is recent) of all rider fatalities, the rider had been drinking.

Quote:
The point they make repeatedly is that drinking is for after you are done riding for the day.
That's the sticking point. The effect of alcohol isn't binary "on or off"; a little has a little effect; more has more effect. One of the things it affects is your judgement, so you can't trust your ability to determine if you're affected... (Another thing is inhibitions; since you don't think your impaired, you might as well have another! )

(Either I deserve bonus points for using 'effect' and 'affect' properly, or I deserve the Klay smackdown of the week for buggering it all up...)
Old 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Those are what you call,"wannabe" dirt riders,
No argument- but since they've been doing that since they were knee high, it's hard to convince them they're doing it wrong.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
No argument- but since they've been doing that since they were knee high, it's hard to convince them they're doing it wrong.
enter them in a hare scramble.

or even just tell them to go watch one and pay attention to where the fast guys are looking...

LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #42
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:

(Either I deserve bonus points for using 'effect' and 'affect' properly, or I deserve the Klay smackdown of the week for buggering it all up...)
By my book, you effectively used "affect" and "effect" without sounding too affected.
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
ALL: Yes. I would think so.
I would bet that Hillary, before he got to the top, asked a lot of people who didn't make the top of Everest and fell off, "What seemed to be the problem?" I believe that the Wrights kept track of others' progress for similar reasons.

Not counting 'dirt fun' crashes, I probably have 20-30 crashes to my credit, lifetime, so far. And I am reading this thread hoping to pick up something useful.

OTOH: I have followed a few riders who have never crashed or fallen off. If I had to ride like that all the time, I would sell the bike and be done with riding ever again.
I don't recall riding with you.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #44
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
You people or seem to forget.
How much better everything is now.
Than when I started riding.
Attgatt is much much cheaper
Much better, more available.
Simple thing as a visor that works.
A full face helmet that gives you vision.
Bikes that stop in the rain.
Bikes that don't leak oil on the back tyre.
Radial tyres.
Bikes that don't throw you off
O ring chains
Etc.

Road surfaces are much better
Suspension that works
Ground clearance.

If I tried to ride in the past as I do now.
I'd be 6' foot under.
Lol.

Cars with demisters that work so they might see you.
Cars with 3 mirrors same.
Less hat wearing drivers.
Cars that brake so when they finally see you they might have the option to stop.
Abs.
Electronic aids on cars and bikes.

So my point is.

It's not just because your a god of avoiding crashes.

There is a hell of a lot more reasons why bike riding is safer.

But there is always stupid.
Lol
Cheers

Oh driver,rider education is much better
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #45
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
That's the sticking point. The effect of alcohol isn't binary "on or off"; a little has a little effect; more has more effect. One of the things it affects is your judgement, so you can't trust your ability to determine if you're affected... (Another thing is inhibitions; since you don't think your impaired, you might as well have another! )
That reminds me of a story:

"The other night I was invited out for a night with the “girls.” I told my husband that I would be home by midnight, “I promise!” Well, the hours passed and the margaritas went down way too easily. Around 3 a.m., a bit loaded, I headed for home. Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hallway started up and cuckooed 3 times.

Quickly, realising my husband would probably wake up, I cuckooed another 9 times. I was really proud of myself for coming up with such a quick-witted solution, in order to escape a possible conflict with him. (Even when totally smashed… 3 cuckoos plus 9 cuckoos totals 12 cuckoos = MIDNIGHT !)

The next morning my husband asked me what time I got in, I told him “MIDNIGHT”… he didn’t seem pissed off in the least. Whew, I got away with that one! Then he said “We need a new cuckoo clock.” When I asked him why, he said, “Well, last night our clock cuckooed three times, then said “oh shit” Cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed another three times, giggled, cuckooed twice more, and then tripped over the coffee table and farted."