Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #76
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
imho, it is a safer approach to not bother trying to control the cars. just assume they don't see you (but also realize they aren't actively trying to kill you...
Fixt.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #77
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Listen to your Spidey Sense

Good Riders develop good road craft Skills. They listen to their subconsciousness.

There is a book called The Gift of Fear It goes into depth about how the conscious mind tends to rationalize while the sunconscious mind warns and protects us. IF WE LET IT!

Worth picking up a copy and delving into IMO. It may very well help you tap into small seemingly unimportant signals that will allow you to act instead of react.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gift-Fear-...e+gift+of+fear

Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #78
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I've heard them all.
My tires weren't warmed up.
They still had the mold release compound from when they were new (they only had 2000 miles on them. Really, someone told me that).
There was a slick spot on the pavement.
A guy swerved his car at me and I crashed trying to avoid him.

Etc., etc. Shit, I've seen the excuses on here, many times. Everyone's fault but your own. Who is riding the bike? A guy got kind of pissed when he told me he crashed because he went to street compound tires from slicks. No, you crashed because you're a shitty rider. You crashed because instead of trying to ride well, you're trying to impress someone and act like you're an actual racer, instead of a guy that rides your bike once every 2 years for 1/2 an hour. He doesn't talk to me any more. At least that way, I don't have to listen to bullshit excuses, and he probably won't crash into me.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #79
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 11-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #80
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,301
I was a long time rider who had never crashed.
Too fast, decreasing radius off camber corner, too tired and grabbed too much brake. Hit a car. oops.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #81
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I like this Judeo-Christian thing of always blaming yourself... I think its true in 99%! Alas there is always 1%! I am ready to take the blame on all my spills but one.... Behind a small truck left turn 30mph, double yellow line: never saw the 1198 who was going too fast the other way, panicked and ended up at 90 degrees to me and Tboned me; compound femur and broken humerus. Damaged nerves in my shoulder and arm were discovered later. Now, 4 years later, an almost dead right arm and still a little limp. So? Screw the "I know everything": no responsibility accident can still happen to you!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #82
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
There are two kinds of riders.

Those that have crashed, or those that will crash. [ ]

The "long time rider" that hasn't "been in a crash" is either a very...lucky...rider, or inflates his experience...
The often parroted Myth has made its way in yet again.

Are you going to tell us the "had to lay the bike down to avoid the crash" or "never use the front brakes" next?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #83
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
I like this Judeo-Christian thing of always blaming yourself... I think its true in 99%! Alas there is always 1%! I am ready to take the blame on all my spills but one.... Behind a small truck left turn 30mph, double yellow line: never saw the 1198 who was going too fast the other way, panicked and ended up at 90 degrees to me and Tboned me; compound femur and broken humerus. Damaged nerves in my shoulder and arm were discovered later. Now, 4 years later, an almost dead right arm and still a little limp. So? Screw the "I know everything": no responsibility accident can still happen to you!
Clearly you should have kept a better distance from the truck to enable yourself to see incoming missiles (1198's)
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #84
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
What in the hell are you talking about?

You're a fool if you believe that any "serious" rider has NEVER crashed.

You know, Murphy...

I don't take kindly to someone that admittedly has 10 crashes under his belt, to say something entirely stupid like what you just said.

I was specifically referencing a comment by some dolt that seemed to think that he only wanted to take advice from an "experienced rider" that "has never crashed", which is ridiculous.

If someone has never had a crash, how much understanding will they actually have, so they can give tolerably good advice on things like, oh, maybe how to AVOID a similar crash in the future.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), but it was the author of the piece DAKEZ quoted that had crashed 10 times, not DAKEZ.

DAKEZ has probably crashed many more times.

This thread brings up two interesting things that I've long believed. 1) The more you ride, the better you get at it. 2) It is possible to have a lifetime of riding without any crashes.

I got into a heated argument with a guy who is no longer my friend about the first point. He felt that by not riding as often and only on weekends, he was avoiding the risk of riding. He had a pretty bad accident the following weekend when he blew a down-shift in a corner and lost his rear wheel. As others have pointed out, by riding often you keep your skills sharp and you keep familiarity with your bike. I frequently practice panic braking, work on smooth down-shifts, etc. By being able to operate my bike without thinking (as much) about it, I have more attention to focus on the road and other drivers. Also, by riding more often, you get used to how your bike "feels" and may notice something going south before it fails, potentially causing a crash.

On the second point, I disagree with you TheDrifter. I'd say I'm a serious rider. (Actually, I think I'm pretty damn funny, but that's a different story.) I ride almost every day, do three or four multi-day trips every year, ride dirt bikes on the weekend, etc. I don't keep track of my mileage but know it's over 20,000 miles per year and I've been riding for 21 years. I've had three crashes, all within the first 6 months of starting to ride, all were very minor, and all were completely my fault and due to showing off. Yes, I was that tool who looped his bike repeatedly while trying to learn how to wheelie. (I still can't.) Because those all happened in my formative months and were all my fault, I don't count them as "real" crashes.

Since then, I have ***knocks on wood*** not crashed. Mostly, I believe that is because I'm a cautious rider. Am I slow? No, I'm not. But I also will not push it beyond 70% or so of what I feel I have available to me. I try to always leave 30% of my cornering traction, braking distance, etc. available for those "oh shit" moments.

So yes, I do feel qualified to pass on riding tips to newer riders. I have 100's of instances where I could have crashed if I wasn't paying attention/hadn't left enough space/hadn't anticipated that driver was going to turn left, etc. The guy who has crashed, may not know why he crashed and, if he knows, can only tell you how to avoid the crash he had, not the one that you may encounter.

I think the saying you were looking for is, "There are old riders and there are bold riders. There are no old and bold riders."
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #85
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), but it was the author of the piece DAKEZ quoted that had crashed 10 times, not DAKEZ.

DAKEZ has probably crashed many more times.
You are correct sir.

Four times on pavement. All four due to road contaminates. One Ice, One Granite Dust, Two Diesel Spills.

Countless time OFF-Road. (I don't count off-road crashes as crashes)

Most Riders NEVER crash on road. It is about 60%. (more than half = most)

The "It's not if but when" BULLshit. is a parroted MYTH.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #86
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post

I think the saying you were looking for is, "There are old riders and there are bold riders. There are no old and bold riders."
Not sure why but every time I hear this one I think of a gray haired Ex-Flat track racer.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #87
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nope, Sorry... When Off road riding, crashing is too be expected and therefore doesn't count as a crash.

For riding on the street, the majority of riders never crash thus rendering the "It's not IF but WHEN" saying a MYTH.

Granted it is a small majority but certainly more accurate than what is implied in the saying that you posted up. (if you ride you're going to crash)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 07:34 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #88
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Good Riders develop good road craft Skills. They listen to their subconsciousness. ...
I'm with this 110% I've crashed a lot over the years but non of my crashes have been bad except maybe the head-on with the motorhome back in 84. The rest have mostly been lowsides. I've never even broken a bone. I'm pretty good about listening to what's my body tells me and I never push it when I'm not feeling 100% about what I'm doing.

As far as crashing goes, I've been riding on the road since the mid 70's and I don't know anyone who's ridden that long or longer and has never been down. I'm sure those people exist but they have to be, by far, the minority. I would say that those people are more lucky than skilled. They just haven't hit that patch of sand or oil or snow or ice or inattentive drive or whatever.
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #89
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer: 333
...so, getting rear-ended by a Dodge ram....that was my fault, and it could have been avoided?

Good to know.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #90
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Granted it is a small majority but certainly more accurate than what is implied in the saying that you posted up. (if you ride your going to crash)
you're

For some people, dropping a loaded bike when paddling around to turn around in a dead end would count as a crash.

For others, a crash is something a bit more serious, when you are actually in the act of riding and not merely maneuvering. The line is kinda arbitrary.

I've done the former, and have the broken hand guards and mirrors to prove. I even slipped in a very slow hairpin-ish turn and scratched my jacket and tank a little. I don't think of these as crashes.

It might also have something to do with the fact that some people like to think the activities they choose to spend time with are dangerous (heroic even), to distract from their "boring" and save lives. Hollywood has taught us that a comfortable and non-dangerous life is something to avoid, and you only get chicks if you are living on the edge.