Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #91
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
As far as crashing goes, I've been riding on the road since the mid 70's and I don't know anyone who's ridden that long or longer and has never been down. I'm sure those people exist but they have to be, by far, the minority. I would say that those people are more lucky than skilled. They just haven't hit that patch of sand or oil or snow or ice or inattentive drive or whatever.
Maybe because they're anticipating, watching for, and riding in a way that they can avoid those hazards?

Just got this last week, source Oregon DOT

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #92
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cat View Post
...so, getting rear-ended by a Dodge ram....that was my fault, and it could have been avoided?

Good to know.
No, it probably (You don't give nearly enough information) wasn't your fault- but very possibly yes, even if it's not your fault, you may have been able to avoid it.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #93
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cat View Post
...so, getting rear-ended by a Dodge ram....that was my fault, and it could have been avoided?

Good to know.
Could it have been avoided? Possibly.

(It matters not who's fault it is)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 04:37 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #94
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not sure why but every time I hear this one I think of a gray haired Ex-Flat track racer.
Are you trying to say that to race flattrack one must be BOLD???

I know several OLD BOLD riders, some of which are flattrack racers.

There is a local club around here the American Association Of Old Bold Balled Riders most have grey hair, most are very bold riders.
Yes it is possible to ride a lifetime without a crash.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #95
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
That is ridiculous.

If you don't spill, you aren't riding.
There you go again... Confusing Off-Road and ON-Road again.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #96
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
There is a local club around here the American Association Of Old Bold Balled Riders most have grey hair, most are very bold riders.
Yes it is possible to ride a lifetime without a crash.
Quote:
My experience is on-road, and that is what I'm talking about. If you actually put miles on, you WILL crash.
I'm sorry, but even with your clarification that you are referring to road riding only, you are still wrong. Conservatively, I would estimate I have around 300,000 miles ridden on the road in the last 20 years, without a crash. Yes, I know it isn't technically a "lifetime" as I'm still young and riding, but I have "actually put miles on" without crashing.

I also know a couple of old timers in the local BMW club that have managed to never go down.

Is it rare? Probably. But it is certainly not a certainty that "if you actually put miles on, you WILL crash." (See what I did there? )
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #97
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:

Is there a way to petition the insurance industry to separate those that expect to use their policy from those that aspire not to?!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #98
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

I'm with Yeti and DAKEZ. Crashing is not a certainty, though riding as if it is will certainly increase your odds of crashing.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #99
Vampir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Obvious troll is obvious.

Maybe you're speaking of how you ride. You've never heard of Voni Glaves I suppose. One million miles on her BMW and no accidents. Guess she's not riding...
Vampir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #100
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 144
I guess the next time I drop my bike I'll just make sure to yell out loud so all the people standing around laughing can hear,

"I'm a SERIOUS rider!"
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #101
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
...Some are stupid intentionally...
...a few others that aren't smart enough to understand what I'm saying...
I understand you completely, I'm just being stupid.......... intentionally. It helps me fit in.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #102
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
i'll believe it when i see it.

Every rider has dumped a bike. myth

you honestly mean to tell me, that anyone hasn't at least dumped a bike once? most

when you were learning? Come on. Seriously? Yup

Then, i get jumped on by a few others that aren't smart enough to understand what i'm saying, and now, well.... OR, they/we understand what you are saying and don't agree with your assessment of reality

Every serious rider, has a crash or two under their belt. not true what doesn't exist, is a "perfect" rider that has never tipped a bike. No rider is "perfect"... At least you got that part right

Quote:

My experience is on-road, and that is what I'm talking about. If you actually put miles on, you WILL crash.
Myth. You must be surrounded by a lot of clumsy riders.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 02:59 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #103
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'm with Yeti and DAKEZ. Crashing is not a certainty, though riding as if it is will certainly increase your odds of crashing.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #104
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
You're confused, not me.

You keep spitting and sputtering about off-road versus on-road. I don't know why this is an issue, because I'm NOT talking about off-road riding, as that is outside of my realm of experience.

When you can make a rational post minus the condescending attitude, I'll listen...Until then, ciao.
I can say with absolute certainty that this attitude is simply trying to make one feel better for having sub-par riding skills. Case in point: My father returned from World War II and promptly bought bikes. He and his brother (also a WWII vet) rode literally hundreds of thousands of miles on the road and neither one of them ever dropped a bike, on the road. My Dad rode until about a month before his death in 1998. I have his old bike in the garage. Now I will say this, when Dad first got into riding he started riding off road, which was tricky in the 40's. But him and his buddies did all kinds of stuff and learned to ride.

Fast forward to when I was 5, Dad brought me home a mini-bike, when I outgrew that (about 6th grade) Dad brought me home an Aeromacchi Harley to thrash in the woods behind the house, after that a big single Triumph. I logged thousands of hours off road riding and the skills I learned (and yes I crashed my fair share) have saved my bacon many, many times on the road. I have well over 200,000 miles of documented miles under my belt at the age of 49, and I have never crashed on the road. I have had a couple of close calls, yes, but never has the bike gone down.

Whenever an acquaintance asks me how they should get into riding I tell them to get a dirt bike and learn to ride off road. At the very minimum they should get a dual sport bike and log hours in off road, but those skills playing at the edge of traction are invaluable in riding on the road. When slipping happens on the road you recognize it and respond instantaneously. Nothing can replace experience.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #105
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
I can say with absolute certainty that this attitude is simply trying to make one feel better for having sub-par riding skills. Case in point: My father returned from World War II and promptly bought bikes. He and his brother (also a WWII vet) rode literally hundreds of thousands of miles on the road and neither one of them ever dropped a bike, on the road. My Dad rode until about a month before his death in 1998. I have his old bike in the garage. Now I will say this, when Dad first got into riding he started riding off road, which was tricky in the 40's. But him and his buddies did all kinds of stuff and learned to ride.

Fast forward to when I was 5, Dad brought me home a mini-bike, when I outgrew that (about 6th grade) Dad brought me home an Aeromacchi Harley to thrash in the woods behind the house, after that a big single Triumph. I logged thousands of hours off road riding and the skills I learned (and yes I crashed my fair share) have saved my bacon many, many times on the road. I have well over 200,000 miles of documented miles under my belt at the age of 49, and I have never crashed on the road. I have had a couple of close calls, yes, but never has the bike gone down.

Whenever an acquaintance asks me how they should get into riding I tell them to get a dirt bike and learn to ride off road. At the very minimum they should get a dual sport bike and log hours in off road, but those skills playing at the edge of traction are invaluable in riding on the road. When slipping happens on the road you recognize it and respond instantaneously. Nothing can replace experience.
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2