Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #166
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I finally got to changing the fork fluid in my ’05 4RT. One day of riding yesterday and I like the change.
First thing I want to remind people is to check the fork oil capacity before you start. I was a little surprised that each leg takes about 400 cc’s. I had ordered 1 bottle of the “Like Water” originally, then Motobene said the 2.5 would be better so I ordered a bottle of the 2.5.
After removing and draining the forks, I started filling with the 2.5. I split the 2.5 evenly between the forks then topped off with the “Like Water.” Final mix is about 2:1 Like water to 2.5. I left the clickers as they were – compression at 12 out, rebound at 20 out (max). I think I will back off on compression a little and go in on rebound a little.
One thing I really like about the new feel is the bike feels a little front end happy, which I prefer. Much easier to do little floater turns when rebounding off a small obstacle in the trail or section. So far the only negative I have found is more “stiction” to get the forks moving. I wonder if it was always there but covered up by the slow fork rate. I don’t notice it when riding, just when sitting on the bike during rest breaks.
Overall, I really loved the bike when I got it and I think I have improved it considerably with the suggestions on this thread: 2 springs out of the clutch, rear shock at minimum rebound, front forks with lighter oil and less rebound. I also switched to a fast throttle tube. Good for more snap over obstacles.
Thanks to Motobene and KrAzyOSUcOwBoy for giving me the knowledge and confidence to make these changes. Now if you just had some extra skill that you could add to my limited supply. . .
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #167
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
You are welcome. Nice to see willingness to risk to get rewards.

I have been a bit reticent on really fast forks lately because I found I was bouncing off stuff a bit with the Raga 300. After the last event, I added more clicks on the adjusters to slow the front end and shock a bit, but the Raga is way faster than the stock 4RT so it's a nuance. Do think you can get a bit fast on the Showa forks and some percentage of Like Water though, if you don't take care to calm them with some clicks, especially on the supplemental compression adjuster at bottom of the one fork. But fast forks can for sure be fun.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #168
andilicious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Well I have received my full rear end bearing set, a new tub of maxima waterproof grease to load the bearings up with, my redline for the forks and shock, new clutch and brake fluid, new pads, a bottle of new coolant and a host of notes from this thread ready to transform my 4RT!

Just 32 days till I get home from this job till I can start the fun!

Also got a rekluse to try in my ktm and my wheels are away being powder coated and my tired ohlins shock is getting a strip and service.

I literally cannot wait to get home to my workshop and get to work on them!!

:-)
andilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #169
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by andilicious View Post
Well I have received my full rear end bearing set, a new tub of maxima waterproof grease to load the bearings up with, my redline for the forks and shock, new clutch and brake fluid, new pads, a bottle of new coolant and a host of notes from this thread ready to transform my 4RT!

Just 32 days till I get home from this job till I can start the fun!

Also got a rekluse to try in my ktm and my wheels are away being powder coated and my tired ohlins shock is getting a strip and service.

I literally cannot wait to get home to my workshop and get to work on them!!

:-)
Love seeing your zeal to wrench and ride!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #170
andilicious
Adventurer

Well I work away from the world for 85 days at a time and there isn't sufficient internet speed to stream vids and there's nothing to do out of work.

I love spannering as much as riding. Its the engineer in me wanting to make everything perfect I think.

Anyway 31 and a bit days now....
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #171
andilicious
Adventurer

Hi all.

Silly question but how do you get the seal cover off the shock? The one with 2 opposing holes.

I assumed grub screws and then the whole thing unscrewed but I can't find and grub screws or get it to unscrew!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #172
andilicious
Adventurer

Got it sorted. Shock cleaned and refilled with redline like water. Gassing it up today and changed all the bearings and fitted an aftermarket linkage kit.

New bushes going in the forks and redline 2.5 going in them on the rebuild.

Removed 2 clutch springs and left the original oil in for now.

Just fitting new wheel bearings as well while its all apart and she's ready to ride!

Excited now lol
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #173
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Got it sorted. Shock cleaned and refilled with redline like water. Gassing it up today and changed all the bearings and fitted an aftermarket linkage kit.

Just fitting new wheel bearings as well while its all apart and she's ready to ride!

Excited now lol
Let us know the results!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #174
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Quote:

Excited now lol
Yes please keep us updated on how she rides!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #175
andilicious
Adventurer

Well I have fitted the aftermarket linkage plates, gassed the shock up and fitted that. The rear wheel will be going on once iv had a brew!

I took the time to open up the new wheel bearings and pack them with waterproof grease while I was in there.

Next job is to grease the head bearings with the waterproof grease and then I'm just waiting on the correct bushes to arrive to rebuild the forks as they had sent me the wrong ones!

I sell my old KTM tomorrow and I'm picking up a new Beta 250 RR on Friday.

Gonna be a good week all round!!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 AM   #176
andilicious
Adventurer

Still no bushes in yet so I can't put the forks back together.

I'm thinking of going 50/50 with like water / 2.5 extra light in the forks.

It may be a little fast in the summer but it should be perfect for the remaining 350 days of the year in the UK!

Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #177
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
I have 50/50 in my forks and it took more clicks to slow it down and I am expecting 2 to 4 more clicks in the summer out here. (I seem to remember about 2 to 4 clicks more than half way, would have to check to be sure)

With the 2.5 and re-valve in the rear its about the same, at 1 click more than half way. So with running like water in the rear shock and the front 50/50 I am going to guess it will feel close.

Hope that gives you something more to go on.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #178
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:

It may be a little fast in the summer but it should be perfect for the remaining 350 days of the year in the UK!

Any thoughts on this?
My earlier recommendation for Like Water in the forks changed from test rides on KrAzy's bike and observing him in sections. I saw too much reacting to hits, though the fast forks helped make the bike more lively. If it were my bike I'd be playing with a mix of 2.5 and 5, and seeing if I still had the flexibility in the adjusters.

The tradeoff is between ride control and hopping ease, and you all have to be the judge of that. The rear shock is more of a problem than the front forks regarding slowness, and my

So what is ride control? I deal ride control is closer to what is called a critically damped system, that is, between too fast and too slow:

Again, that is subjective, and subject to the peculiar needs of trials. What is critically damped on a road bike would feel like frozen glue on a trials bike. The pertinent question is to ask is, "Am I taking more points than I should in events because the reactions to bigger hits are throwing me off my line?" Or, "Am I struggling with weight/unweight timing because the bike is way behind what I want to do?" Somewhere in between is where you want to be.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #179
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:

Any thoughts on this?
I am running 50/50 mix exactly as you described in my forks. Started with clickers all the way out and have gradually turned them in. I think I am 4 in on rebound (top) and 3 in on compression (bottom).

Rear shock is still stock, clicker all the way out.

I am still riding in novice to intermediate level so no big hits (Not on purpose, anyway).

Our weather in the USA, Pacific North-wet is very similar to UK so I agree with you about being good for 350 days per year like this. The other days are too hot to ride anyway!
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #180
andilicious
Adventurer

I'm going to go 25 % like water / 75 % extra light and see how that feels. If there's not enough damping when I get to full clicks I'll do some messing about.

I don't really ride trials comps, its 60% play bike and 40% training for enduro so I'm not too critical of setup but I do like my bikes right!