Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Wingboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Do i really need the power the Ossa 280 has?

My 2011 tr280i is an awesome bike.The only negative thing about it is it's reluctance to start as easily as other brands are.It's a lot better with the 9v kit and the proper mapping and tuning,but it's still not as good as it could be imho.
Has anyone ever entertained the idea of putting another base gasket in it to lower compression? (i know it would be a lot of work and another tuning session)
The motor has power that a world class rider is capable of using.I don't fill those shoes.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 587
Gosh, guys, are you gonna just let this hang there?

This question needs engineers and poets!

"Not a man alive that couldn't use more torque!"

"Oh ride it you wuss!"

"What kind of oil are you using?"
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 777
Well if you say it like that then I will give it a stab... I look at it this way, lots of people changing heads on the GAS GAS TXT Pro to lower compression to make them kick over easier and they still do great in comp.

My 2 cents... If you feel it would make the bike better for you and your willing to put in the effort to do it right then there isn't anything wrong with doing that.

To me its about the right bike for you not someone else. good luck!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Wingboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Not a wuss really.Just 61 yrs young.I'm using Maxima MTL 75wt.If i need a power rush,i get it on my Duc track toy.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 587
Mmm. Maxima, huh?

Not a wuss... My brother and his mtn bike comrades used that phrase to overcome tentativeness in risky spots. Prudence, balancing intrepidness, is a fine balance.

I expected to be reading about Ossas here. The booster pack to aid starting is new tech and kind of interesting.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
My 2011 tr280i is an awesome bike.The only negative thing about it is it's reluctance to start as easily as other brands are.It's a lot better with the 9v kit and the proper mapping and tuning,but it's still not as good as it could be imho.
Has anyone ever entertained the idea of putting another base gasket in it to lower compression? (i know it would be a lot of work and another tuning session)
The motor has power that a world class rider is capable of using.I don't fill those shoes.
Too long, didn't read.

10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Power wise - Did you try a slow throttle tube? Evidently, the 14's have a 12v setup that powers the fuel pump to improve starting. I dont think the 9v does that - but dont know for sure.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Power wise - Did you try a slow throttle tube? Evidently, the 14's have a 12v setup that powers the fuel pump to improve starting. I dont think the 9v does that - but dont know for sure.
I thought the 9v was just to keep the brain alive, doesnt power anything, kind of like the "key off" on your car radio, keeps you from losing the stations you program. 12v and powering things (more like how we battery backup computers, as in if power is off computer still fully operates for a limited time though) would be good, wonder how big the battery has to be?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
NechakoRiver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I've got a 2011 TR280i with the 9v kit as well. It used to take a few kicks to start, but with some practice I can now typically do it in two.

Try giving it one kick without the 9v, after you do that, press the 9v button and kick it again. Mine usually starts right up on the second kick.

I believe there was a dual map switch available that gave the bike two power settings. It might be of help if you feel the bike is too snappy.
NechakoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 855
Some 'poetry', perhaps?

I challenge the idea of 'a bike to good for me' or a 'bike better than I deserve' or 'more powerful than I need.' That can be ego, fear, and even guilt talking. "I bought a Repsol and, it's better than I deserve."

Well....

A lot of things are better than we deserve, but life is too short. Why not purchase best bike you can reasonably afford? 'Reasonably afford' is already limiting enough! More often than not newer is better, or we'd be living in some weird universe where product evolution works backwards (software 'improvements' can be an exception ).

Also, the bike we have could become great with persistence and elbow grease. A bike cannot be better than the sum of its details, it's 'information.' Entropy is always there, degrading our rides over time into creaky and un optimal heaps.

Not everyone is driven to push against entropy or has a lot of experience improving things. In that case, when a bike is hassling you, sell it and get something else. Life is also too short to optimize to slowly

Regarding power, I'd rather have a bike with more power that I can tame, than a weenie bike. I tossed my red high compression S3 Stars head insert for an orange low-compression head, for example. While the difference in these heads can be like the six clip positions on a jet needle, that's just one variable to tweak. I wanted easier starting and less of it right off bottom. And there are lots of other tricks like retarding timing (if you can), jetting, lower gearing, etc.

Much of the power problems I've observed are not the bike. They are in jerky right wrists . Some of the starting problems I've observed are from inefficient kicking techniques. That sounds like a programmer blaming the user for his crappy software, but the user is at times the one in need of optimizing.

Just some food for thought.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by NechakoRiver View Post
I've got a 2011 TR280i with the 9v kit as well. It used to take a few kicks to start, but with some practice I can now typically do it in two.

Try giving it one kick without the 9v, after you do that, press the 9v button and kick it again. Mine usually starts right up on the second kick.

I believe there was a dual map switch available that gave the bike two power settings. It might be of help if you feel the bike is too snappy.
Just curious what the Ossa's 'dual map' switch might actually do.
The Ossa being an FI bike, the switch might actually switch maps and affect how the bike runs very noticeably. But it could be like the carbureted GasGas bikes where the switch does nothing but affect the rate of ignition advance in the higher rpms, where ordinary riders seldom go.

If there are only two wires to the switch, it might just be affecting the advance curve, like the GasGas. On the Gassers, the 'cloudy' (open) and sunny' (closed) switch is nothing but an SPST switch (one wire in and one wire out). Remove the switch assembly and the ECU defaults to the cloudy position (open). My Econo had the same wiring harness and Kokusan ignition as my Raga. They just left the switch off.

If the switch is like the GasGas, then isn't there a way to hook up to the ECU and change the map like on a later 4RT? You could mellow power and make starting easier in one swell foop
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
NechakoRiver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
This is what it says in the 2013 Special Parts catalogue.

Quote:
The double mapping kit is composed of a switch to
change the mapping and a ECU program with two
mappings of different behavior.
NechakoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
no
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 298
Gas Gas Hijack

Motobene

MY gasser switch was destroyed. I tied the wires together and put a wire nut on them. Is it likely still defaulting to Cloudy? Or would completing the circuit lock it in Sunny? That was my intention.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
Motobene

MY gasser switch was destroyed. I tied the wires together and put a wire nut on them. Is it likely still defaulting to Cloudy? Or would completing the circuit lock it in Sunny? That was my intention.
you should have just got another switch, lol. it also depends on how it was wired that year? because one position to the switch is "connected" or ON, the other is "NOT CONNECTED" or off like a light switch. pre 06 bikes, you used to change this by connecting or disconnecting a wire under the tank, on the brains. then they shipped the bikes with a switch...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote