User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
cleatusj OP
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,080
Creating Hack thoughts in others

This is the second year I've ridden one of my hacks in a dual sport rally and more riders, after seeing what I'm able to do with one, are asking how they are to handle or how they can build or get one built.

This was shortly after going through a large mud bog in a sand pit with a group of 20 rider of smaller DS bike riders looking on. To say they were amazed is an under statement.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build

cleatusj screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 11:02 AM
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
cleatusj OP
Dirt floor engineer

Some from last year.

Even as a leaner.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatusj View Post
This is the second year I've ridden one of my hacks in a dual sport rally and more riders, after seeing what I'm able to do with one, are asking how they are to handle or how they can build or get one built....

... shortly after going through a large mud bog in a sand pit with a group of 20 rider of smaller DS bike riders looking on. To say they were amazed is an under statement....
I've been pretty amazed at the glimpses I've seen of you piloting a hack. Glad the rigid modification is working well. And thanks for being a good ambassador for us sidecarists.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,480
Same experience here. Went to the Touratech Rally in Plain, WA last summer. Basically, 450 BMW's, 50 other bikes, and one sidecar rig. All the BMW guys were all decked out in the latest riding gear and bikes equipped with the latest and greatest Touratech gear.

On the first guided ride I did, when I showed up at the start you could see the expressions on the other riders saying like "oh crap, who invited the sidecar guy?" 14 bikes headed out of the parking lot and rode 10 miles to the end of the pavement. At that point, the leader more or less suggested that I hang back and let the other bikes go, and then I could come along just ahead of the sweep. I smiled and said "sure, no problem".

Well, me and the sweep sat there talking until the last of the bikes were long gone and the dust settled. Then the sweep said to me "let's go--we don't want to keep the gang waiting too long." Again, I said "sure, no problem". Fired up the rig, laid down a 10-yard roost with my car pusher, and that was the last time the sweep saw me until 20 minutes later at the 1st rendezvous point! I was the 5th bike to arrive having passed all the others.

Suddenly, everybody was interested in my rig.

After that, they let me ride in the front pack of riders for the rest of the day. And back in camp, lotsa guys wanted to go for a ride. Turned out to be a good rally and I made quite a few new friends.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
cleatusj OP
Dirt floor engineer

Yep, on the Friday led ride I was running sweep, until one of the Vstorms went down in the front of the pack and the leader chose to stay with him, until rescue arrived. The leader decided I needed to take over for him. Everybody thanked me for a great job leading and entertaining as I would fly the chair coming out of most right handers. The things we will endure so we can enjoy what we love doing.