Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
I have my 8X10 plastic shed on 9 8X16 cinder blocks, and have for over a year. It is plenty strong enough. For your use I wouldn't hesitate to use the precast shed blocks. Mine is on plain dirt, no footer at all and it never moves.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 09:00 PM Reason: spelling/grammar
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #32
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I have my 8X10 plastic shed on 9 8X16 cinder blocks, and have for over a year. It is plenty strong enough. For your use O wouldn't hesitate to use the precast shed blocks. Mine is on plain dirt, not footer at all and it never moves.
Thanks Jim very comforting plus really easy to accomplish too..
Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #33
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:

Jim
Looks good Jim !

This is what I was trying to describe previously. With the exception of having some PT dimensional lumber (4x4) laid lengthwise between the blocks and framed floor support. Kind of like "skids"

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
I have my 8X10 plastic shed on 9 8X16 cinder blocks, and have for over a year. It is plenty strong enough. For your use I wouldn't hesitate to use the precast shed blocks. Mine is on plain dirt, no footer at all and it never moves.

Jim
Nice looking yard.What is that grass type? I have St.Augustine here in NE. Florida.

Douglas Mac Arthur
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #35
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot4570 View Post
Nice looking yard.What is that grass type? I have St.Augustine here in NE. Florida.
Thanks, it is Tall Fescue grass. This was only 3 months fresh planted, so there were a few spots. It looked like this in July:

That photo was taken in October.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #36
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Well finally I finish the platform, I just hope I did it right or sufficiently right at least..

I triangulate everything as best as possible.

OSB ply.

Also as a transportation tip, I used three small 2x4 scraps to hold the plywood on top of my rack, works perfectly, no movement or lifting at all, for the mile ride home.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #37
Skyshadow
Tree hugger

Oddometer: 638
In Utah, you probably have a thin organic layer over Mivida soils. If this is the case you are in luck as Mivida is a sandy soil with very limited clay or organics....basically solid stuff to build on without much heaving or sinking.

If I were you, dig till you hit sandy stuff, if shallow, drop the blocks on it directly, if not backfill the holes with gravel or non organic fill.

-You ride a Harley, BMW, KTM.....that's cool!! Always great to be on two wheels.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #38
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
In Utah, you probably have a thin organic layer over Mivida soils. If this is the case you are in luck as Mivida is a sandy soil with very limited clay or organics....basically solid stuff to build on without much heaving or sinking.

If I were you, dig till you hit sandy stuff, if shallow, drop the blocks on it directly, if not backfill the holes with gravel or non organic fill.
Sadly to me Dirt is dirt, the only thing I know is that for the from blocks I dig about 1 1/2' deep and was super hard to do even when the ground was wet, so hopefully it will stay stable over time..
Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #39
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
All this talk about strength and you used OSB for the floor? lol

I know it is a little to late, and might have been previously covered, but you never want wood to touch concrete if you can help it (especially in a moist, outdoor environment). I usually put piece of a shingle (or something similar) in between the footer and 4x4.

Good idea to triangulate the rear legs, looks plenty strong.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #40
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
All this talk about strength and you used OSB for the floor? lol
What is better plywood..!? I just did not think it was necessary, I was just trying to keep the cost down..
Quote:
I know it is a little to late, and might have been previously covered, but you never want wood to touch concrete if you can help it (especially in a moist, outdoor environment). I usually put piece of a shingle (or something similar) in between the footer and 4x4.
Oh man I have no idea about that aether, hopefully is not a big deal, thanks for the advice.
Quote:

Good idea to triangulate the rear legs, looks plenty strong.
At last I did something right, well at least if slides, will slide together..
Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #41
Skyshadow
Tree hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Sadly to me Dirt is dirt, the only thing I know is that for the from blocks I dig about 1 1/2' deep and was super hard to do even when the ground was wet, so hopefully it will stay stable over time..
Yeah, not too many people appreciate "dirt" Yet everything we do comes from it.

Anyways.....in your area you probably don't have to worry as you have a hell of a surface to build on. Lots of folks have to deal with clays which can expand, organic soils which can hold moisture and heave/sink in cold. Etc etc. You sir most like likely have good dirt for your purpose

-You ride a Harley, BMW, KTM.....that's cool!! Always great to be on two wheels.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #42
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
I grow up in a big city in apartments and houses with small patios so I never got the chance to know dirt, i fact this is the first time I need to cut the grass and do stuff with dirt or even plants..
Quote:

Anyways.....in your area you probably don't have to worry as you have a hell of a surface to build on. Lots of folks have to deal with clays which can expand, organic soils which can hold moisture and heave/sink in cold. Etc etc. You sir most like likely have good dirt for your purpose
Well if the digging is any indication, I'm safe, that dirt was really hard to penetrate, thanks for the advice in any case..
Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #43
Skyshadow
Tree hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
I grow up in a big city in apartments and houses with small patios so I never got the chance to know dirt, i fact this is the first time I need to cut the grass and do stuff with dirt or even plants..

Well if the digging is any indication, I'm safe, that dirt was really hard to penetrate, thanks for the advice in any case..
Well good luck with the new venture. PM if you have any dirt questions in the future . I (think) I know so much because I'm a grad student studying forestry with a strong soils focus.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #44
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Well good luck with the new venture. PM if you have any dirt questions in the future . I (think) I know so much because I'm a grad student studying forestry with a strong soils focus.
Thanks senor, as long as the shed does not slide into the fence I will be a happy camper, good luck in your studies and thanks for sharing your passion..
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #45
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Had a geotech prof who drilled into us that we were not dealing with dirt; we were dealing with soil. Dirt is what you find behind your refrigerator.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote