User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Moose Sign

This is Bear Chow, I don't post much but I read a lot. I am posting on behalf of my wife. This piece was written one week ago and I'm happy to say things have changed.

Few months ago my wife told me she wanted a motorcycle. I signed her up for a three day training class with a HD dealer. I went with the HD dealer because they really cater to woman drivers, owners of the checkbook. And it was a full class beginning with basics and extended driving practices. After the class she decided she wanted the BMW c650gt scooter. It was expensive and she's worth it and it is incredibly controllable.

We rode as much as we could and logged several hundred miles. Tomorrow is our 20th anniversary. Last Friday we headed out on a small vacation. We were to travel from just north of cincinnati to lexington and then to nashville and return. We stopped every 45 minutes and were truly enjoying ourselves. We made it 15 miles outside of lexington taking all back roads and following speed limits.

She hit a guard rail nearly straight on while traveling 55mph in a 55mph road. I was in front of her and only saw it in the rear view mirror. I think it was target fixation. She lies here in front of me now with a breathing tube in her and several IV's.

One leg broken in three places she now has new titanium bones. She also suffered from a puncture wound and has a shortened colon. Two surgeries and hours of observation she still will not wake up. The nurses try every four hours it gets more intense each time. Barking orders and pushing their hands into her chest. The pain is so evident but as soon as they stop her eyes close again and she continues to sleep.

I have been here next to that bed not sleeping, barely eating, worrying about my children four hours away. I have to believe she will wake. And when she does she is going to need strength from others.

We have a sign, it's a moose sign we use it for fun and to demonstrate we have no bounds in embarrassing ourselves. I'm collecting moose signs to run as a screen saver as we have a very long recovery ahead of us. Spread your fingers on both hands and place your thumbs just above your brow.

It looks just like below.

One week has passed and she slept for the first 5 days. I had to tell her she missed our anniversary. We have another surgery tomorrow. We've had some really good days and some really bad days. I am collecting all these images so far I've gotten, well a lot. And until a few moments ago it escaped me to ask them from the great people on this board that would truly understand her future struggles. My wife's name is Robyn and there is a long road ahead. I don't know if she will ever ride again, but I don't care as long as I can hug and kiss her in the end.

We are three hours from home and we brought our boys down today for the first time. They are 17, 14, and 11 my oldest has become the man I always knew he was. The others give me strength and cheer. I have a daughter in college but she has been unable to come down yet.

We had a really good day, Yesterday and Today.

We are still excepting all prayers and good will. And of course single antler moose are welcome. It's silly and fun and that exactly what I wish to give her as she gains her own strength.
momentumadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
kfcz400
dirt track maniac

Oddometer: 238
best wishes to you and your wife...the only place mine will ever ride is behind me...
kfcz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 792
Sounds like a tough lady and an even tougher family. I'm not religious, so I can't offer any prayers, but I'd be happy to pitch in if you start a rehab fund.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Pulling for you Robyn.....full steam ahead Bear Chow.

photo null_zps8a539b4e.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158

May the moose be with you...

Craig and Lisa
'14 R1200GS
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
mr. matteeanne
Bender can pass him

Oddometer: 14,295
Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
This is sad to read!
I hope for a full recovery.

I have decided I will do all the crashing in the family, and do it solo.
My wife wants a scooter, and I have been resisting the idea.
One screw up at her age and its going to be bad, and its easy for new riders to screw up.

Good thoughts coming your way...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,878

Hoping for a quick and complete recovery for your wife.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Robyn went into surgery at 3:30pm it lasted just about an hour. This surgery was strictly for plastics and to clean any open wounds. It was also to replace a wound pump. Wound pumps are used when you want to leave a wound open and continuously draw fluids through it, to allow the tissues to heal from the inside out.

For those that may not know Robyn de-gloved a large portion of her left leg. It turns out a large amount of the skin was still in tact, but retracted. And, it was viable for reuse. She will have one bare patch that is approximately six by six inches.

That area is now packed and has a wound pump on it, as well as a cellular substance called Targa. There will certainly be a scare and some deformation. But that is why we love our woman for the memories, impressions, parts and pieces of them that they leave on this earth.

She is very groggy and wakens when spoken too. So I only did it seventeen times and now I'm letting her sleep. She will likely sleep through the night. The hospital staff plan to give her a wash down. I've gotten some hospital approved shampoo to help her feel clean and pretty for tomorrow.

For those to impatient to read about this patient. The surgery was a success.

To those that suggest I take care of myself, i've been telling myself the same especially once I had a stress induced gout attack. Thank you for the kind words and know that I'm working on getting myself presentable first, then healthy.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 199
Sending

Positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Love is powerful, and life is tenuous.

You obviously love each other immensley.

She will come out of it, with you by her side.
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
vegastele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Positive vibes your way. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

I wore a wound-vac for three months. Not much fun when it was time to change the dressing but those things work great to keep one free from infection.

vegastele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
Let her sleep.
Last time I was in the hospital, I slept for a week, and the bad parts started after I woke up...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
drtbkmic
A Real Gem

Oddometer: 117
My prayers are with you both.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272

Hang in there and get better!!!!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #15
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Happy Halloween!

Yesterday really was a turning point. Spirits are up for both of us. I went to the store and picked up a bowl and some candies so Robyn can give them out. We have prepared for the halloween parade in the room. All these med. students, RNs, therapist, surgeons, all dressed up as well nurses and doctors filter in and out all day and night.

We're just going to make it work and celebrate the day.