Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #31
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Well I took a day off and went home for one evening to spend with my boys. I have had a great deal of support from our community so during that day the boys and I participated in a can food drive. We are so appreciative to everyone.

Robyn is progressing, she had another surgery today. Her leg wounds are healing as expected. A skin graph surgery is scheduled for next weekend. First she was intubated and then she received a tracheoscopy. It's hard to fathom that I have not heard her speak to me since the accident.

But, that is just a sound and not her voice. We have been communicating with every motion, turn and blink. She writes notes and I speak loud enough so to be heard over the constant flow of oxygen. I am sleeping better and I'm not as disturbed by the nurses at night. But it's my responsibulity to be there. So I usually sit up and acknowledge her so she knows she does not need to do this alone.

Every morning we hold hands, sway, tap our toes and dance.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and good wishes. We really did need them and still do. I've seen her getting testy now and then. I have to go find something to distract her from the pain. I purchased some cherry lip balm today. The first real taste of something other than plastic since the accident. That's not exactly true, she had mint lip balm. It only took me two plus weeks to remember she doesn't like mint.
momentumadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #32
greatmaul
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I don't have access to posting a pic right now at 430am but I'm giving you and your wife a moose sign. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and your wife for a speedy and thorough recovery. I have to say that the way you are caring for your wife is inspirational, and I wish you strength to maintain your vigil for as long as is needed.
greatmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #33
Pansy
Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,856
So what can we do besides making mooses out of ourselves?

Got an address where we can send cards or sumpthin'?

"I'm always amazed at how smoothly a bike can idle while lying on it's side." Feo y Gordo
Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
So what can we do besides making mooses out of ourselves?

Got an address where we can send cards or sumpthin'?

I've been active on the internet since the days of 300 baud modems. I've seen people ask for money, gifts, prayers, mechanical gear, loans and everything within a household or a business. What more could I ask for but for a bit of cheering up and a prayer or two.

When some one is in need share a smile and make a moose of yourself.

I have swallowed my pride and can only say thank you, but I am making no secret that we have a lot of challenges ahead a card would also brighten her day. Robyn Kelemen is at UK Chandler Hospital room 125 Lexington, Ky.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I wish your wife a speedy and complete recovery. She sounds like a wonder person.

Quote:
She hit a guard rail nearly straight on while traveling 55mph in a 55mph road. I was in front of her and only saw it in the rear view mirror. I think it was target fixation.
May I disagree? Target fixation comes after failing to look through the turn. Claiming target fixation does nothing to help the next person avoid a similar crash. If one learns the practice, and makes it a habit, to look where they need to go, not where they're about to go, the chance of target fixation almost disappears. Look through the turn. Look at the turn exit. Look up where you need to go. Word it any way that works, just so the head is turned, the eyes kept level (option that is very helpful for some), and the vision is ahead where we want the bike to go.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentumadv View Post
It's hard to fathom that I have not heard her speak to me since the accident.

But, that is just a sound and not her voice. We have been communicating with every motion, turn and blink. She writes notes and I speak loud enough so to be heard over the constant flow of oxygen. I am sleeping better and I'm not as disturbed by the nurses at night. But it's my responsibulity to be there. So I usually sit up and acknowledge her so she knows she does not need to do this alone.

Every morning we hold hands, sway, tap our toes and dance.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and good wishes. We really did need them and still do. I've seen her getting testy now and then. I have to go find something to distract her from the pain. I purchased some cherry lip balm today. The first real taste of something other than plastic since the accident. That's not exactly true, she had mint lip balm. It only took me two plus weeks to remember she doesn't like mint.
You've been kind of distracted, I imagine.

Everyone should be so blessed as to share a love like you have! Wow! Best wishes to you and your family. I loved your comment about your oldest son becoming the man you knew he was... How excellent.

Here's my contribution from the Snowy Range Mountains of Wyoming:

Doug
Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,428
So sorry to hear this. I'm kind of challenged with the whole picture posting thing, but I did just make the moose pose for her!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #38
millican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
miro9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
miro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #40
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
With my wishes for a full and speedy recovery, a couple of meese.
Or a meese couple?

WTH!

ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #41
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,319
Can anbody read or do you all have concussions from face plants. He want's photos of PEOPLE making the moose sign for his lovely bride to entertain herself with.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #42
millican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Geez. I'm sorry I forgot to re-size that image until now.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #43
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Can anbody read or do you all have concussions from face plants. He want's photos of PEOPLE making the moose sign for his lovely bride to entertain herself with.
I was thinking the same thing!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #44
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Robyn is progressing. She had a hopefully final surgery today with the ENT. There is significant scarring on her voice box. Doc had to cut and stretch the scars. She will be monitored for a while and then back to be seen in about a month.

She currently retains a wound-vac for another 3-5 days. As long as the skin is healing she is done with plastics. The trachaescopy was reduced in size so she is forced to use her own neck and throat and voice to receive air. As stated above not done yet. Robyn still retains many bruises and a couple open wounds that are being left to heal from the inside out.

We are in discussions to leave as early as next week. But we will not be coming home. She will spend a minimum of 30 days at the Drake Center for rehabilitation. That time is completely dependent on her though.

Emotionally, let's face it, she's a wreck and in constant pain even with the two hour interruptions to fill her with morphine and other narcotics. But this is the life we are living and in between those agonizing moments are clarity and hope. She is very aware she is in acute care now which is recovery and not just medicine and surgeries.

Don't let this post bring you down, Robyn is physically doing extremely well and quickly. The nurses love her and she is practically famous in all parts of the hospital. The doctors are very encouraging and she will be returning to a more conventional life very soon.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #45
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
She has somebody that really cares about her standing at her side.....that is all we can ask as human beings.

God bless you.

Thanks for the update.
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote