User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
I left my cell phone at home Saturday night

...Halloween Party. I have been working nights, so I am up to all hours of the morning. A 5am, i decided to find my phone and charge it. Oh, a voice mail at 6:23 Saturday night before...

"Hi...this is *redacted*. I got run down the other night, bitch turned left into me and hit me dead on. I am at *redacted* and if you can, could you pick up my bike at the wreckers yard?".

My blood ran cold. As I have been working nights, I have not been to the weekly gathering of bikers at a local brewery for the last 2 weeks. It draws 50 to 70 motorcycles. I have a 2 beer max when I am there. It's high gravity craft beer. I eat too. I do not know if that is important to this or not.

At 7:30am I couldn't wait anymore and I called him. He answered, groggily, or drugged more likely, but he made sense. "I'm pretty beat up. They took off my left leg below the knee, and I am dealing with an infection...

I was reeling. I've known him for 30 years. He's a good rider.

I wanted to cry. He'd been there 2 weeks AND NONE OF US KNEW.

After saying goodbye, I drove over to the wreckers yard. Closed on Sunday of course. Today I got in and took these shots:

ATGATT dammit, all of you ATGATT.

I just hope he makes it.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Shit Dean.... my blood ran cold when I saw you post in FP. So sorry to hear about your buddy, I've had that phone call in the middle of the night and it's unpleasant. Keep the faith brother. Pulling for your friend.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
Really sorry to hear about this.
Was a nice bike, looks like the one I rode around the US on.

With the left leg gone, he can still shift if he gets an older Triumph, so all is not lost.

The bike looks like toast though, must have been a really bad hit, let us know how it happened when you find out.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's all "touch and go" with "unnamed". I hesitate to say, as I want to preserve his privacy (he's ok with me posting).

Fighting infection - lots of road rash. The crash area, a hipster coming area, is definitely biologically a disaster zone, right near a rail yard and old manufacturing plants.

I just spoke to his father. I am picking up the bike later today and it's being tucked into the Church with the other wounded bikes. Hell, maybe I should change it to the Ward of Wounded Motorcycles instead of the Church of the Horizontally Opposed Air Cooled Twin. SWMBO Triumph is in need of bodywork too.

Happily, she just went down - another @#$!@$ left turn in front of her. The Aerostich and new Arai helmet I gave her for Christmas saved her ass. Her Triumph is bent, ground down, but repairable. We are just waiting for the insurance game to be played.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Really sorry to hear about this.
Was a nice bike, looks like the one I rode around the US on.

With the left leg gone, he can still shift if he gets an older Triumph, so all is not lost.

The bike looks like toast though, must have been a really bad hit, let us know how it happened when you find out.
I will update the Who What When Where and Why as soon as I know.

He is restoring an older Triumph and has a Moto Guzzi Ambo too. Talking to him last night, he said that he could shift on the right - if they can save that leg (patella, femur, lower leg and foot are all broken)

Airhead #371
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Shit Dean.... my blood ran cold when I saw you post in FP. So sorry to hear about your buddy, I've had that phone call in the middle of the night and it's unpleasant. Keep the faith brother. Pulling for your friend.
We ride. It happens. If we are lucky, we get up, dust off (and sometimes that takes a long time) and ride more.

That is called being a Motorcyclist. It's not a hobby, it's the way we live.

Airhead #371
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update on SWMBO faceplant...

She just texted me. She has police report and perps insurance info now. Originally, the perp who caused SWMBO accident gave incorrect insurance information to the officer.

Personally, I think that is a "hang a person by their feet and let out the weasels" offense. But it's Arkansas, and they do things different there.

Airhead #371
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,647
Dang, Dean, bad news. Best of wishes and prayers to your friend. We ride, we run the risk. Life will go on, he will have to choose "Plan B".

--Bill
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
I'm pullin' for your friend.

Damn, that bumper-shaped gouge in the left header is sickening. These damn left-turners just leave me shaking my head.

I admire your positive attitude, as, sadly, I find saving my skin a higher priority the older I get.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R • 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Sorry to hear about your friend, hope he turns out ok.
Glad he has a bud like you.
Cheers
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

I will keep you all posted. It is going to be a challenging road back; he is fighting infection. Remaining leg has tibia, fibia, femur and patella fracture. Here is hoping to hell he can save that.

The Triumph is in the back of my truck now. My wife came home and was sickened by it - her Triumph is being looked at my an adjuster tomorrow.

Every day is important.

Airhead #371
Old 10-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
But it's Arkansas, and they do things different there.

Yeah?? How so?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Perp that caused SWMBO accident left the scene, then gave false insurance info. No charges filed. That is how it is different.

If her riding partners had not followed her, she would have skated.

In NC, she would have been charged on both counts.

Airhead #371
Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

My friend on the Triumph...

6th surgery to fight infection.

More details on the accident too. He was 4 miles from home. Four lanes, he is I the right lane. Woman pulls out and hits him and pushed him into a stop sign. He almost bled to death before help arrived.

His bike is in the back of my old '71 Dodge now. As soon as I get off working nights, I will get a couple friends to help me get it off the truck.

Airhead #371
Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Mcreviver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'd take that front brake disc, frame it and give it back to him. It's got to be tough to break one of those. Use it to remind him that he has to be tougher.
I've been riding nearly 50 years and recently started using a Coutour video camera. If I end up being killed at least there might be some record of what happened to me and where the resposibility lies. ~Not that it would matter to me.~
Best wishes to him for his recovery.
Mcreviver is offline   Reply With Quote