Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Scorpa SY-250R Clutch Lever Effort

2004 Scorpa with Yamaha engine

I want to make the clutch pull easier for long, challenging trail rides (like back and forth on the Rubicon/Fordyce, etc.). It works perfectly now with master, slave, lever, arm, and plates all operating smoothly. But I've been spoiled by running 4 out of 6 clutch springs on my Sherco and after 40 or 50 miles of boulders I could use a lighter pull.

I pulled one of the five springs and saw yellow marking paint on it.

Anyone know the PN for lighter springs?

Or source for these "high hat" washers to reduce preload that I have read about?

Reluctant to call dealer to learn if there is a spring from a smaller bike like the 125 that will work because all they seem to do nowadays is look up PN by yr/model, but I would be pleased to learn otherwise.

Solutions?

thanks

StuInFH screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 12:50 PM Reason: added yr/motor
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Never had the tyz motor. But being it is a slave on the regular clutch arm, can you make a 1/2 to 3/4 extension on the arm and still get the slave to work?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Never had the tyz motor. But being it is a slave on the regular clutch arm, can you make a 1/2 to 3/4 extension on the arm and still get the slave to work?
Thanks, that is an option I am considering. I think swapping springs would be easy and the math is simpler. :-) One of the threads I found in my hours of searching was about Motobene's (I think) mod of a Montessa arm, I think. Would like to keep lever travel and engagement the same, with just less spring force would be nice.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

No, the Yamaha motor was not designed for hydraulics. Scorpa bastardized the clutch to make it seem modern. So the easiest solution is what we did with cable clutches. My old Fantic was as easy as the Sherco. Sure you can play with the springs, gasket and slipping clutch and hours of work If you find that easier.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post

Or source for these "high hat" washers to reduce preload that I have read about?
Stu,

I think the "top-hat" washers on the Evo 300 actually increase the preload over a flat washer. In stock mode the neck of the washer sits down in the spring. If you want more preload you flip them over and the neck acts like a shim making the washer thicker. Beta also has optional thinner friction plates giving several configurations.

You could take up rock climbing so your hands will be stronger? Works for me..

I think Fordyce got too much snow to be ride-able this weekend.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
No, the Yamaha motor was not designed for hydraulics. Scorpa bastardized the clutch to make it seem modern. So the easiest solution is what we did with cable clutches. My old Fantic was as easy as the Sherco. Sure you can play with the springs, gasket and slipping clutch and hours of work If you find that easier.
Translation please? I have an Easy Pull on my CR clutch, works great. And I could use a different pivot point on lever, like Mtn Engineering's lever, but that would change engagement, no?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Stu,

I think the "top-hat" washers on the Evo 300 actually increase the preload over a flat washer. In stock mode the neck of the washer sits down in the spring. If you want more preload you flip them over and the neck acts like a shim making the washer thicker. Beta also has optional thinner friction plates giving several configurations.

You could take up rock climbing so your hands will be stronger? Works for me..

I think Fordyce got too much snow to be ride-able this weekend.
Huh? I was reading in a thread that a fellow used the washers to reduce preload and Motobene shared the math that was involved with spring rates and compression and advised simpler and cheaper solution than the washers was to remove a couple of springs (like someone did on Sherco). I'm pretty sure I recall that conversation correctly cuz Motobene's math forumulas were in there, but let me know somebody.

And thanks for the working out suggestion, like the answer to 530 overheating issue, ride faster! lol
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

On the ty350 (and other bikes) tyz, etc. we used an extension on the actuator arm on the engine. I`m not sure it would work on the Scorpa set- up, but here is an example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yama...-/131021065537
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
On the ty350 (and other bikes) tyz, etc. we used an extension on the actuator arm on the engine. I`m not sure it would work on the Scorpa set- up, but here is an example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yama...-/131021065537
Thanks.

Just skimmed all Motobene's thread contributions, took two weeks. ;-) Didn't find the one from fellow who reported use of top hat washers (thanks for correct term DrK), saying they were "$$$" and that he had to relieve inside of cases for clearance. But I did find another thread by MB discussing springs and such that was fun to read.

I would take a spring in to dealer and match it up to one similar except for smaller diameter wire, but when I called the dealer the kid could only order OEM ones by the year and model, no clutch springs in stock! Oh, and he had no records/reference for the 4GG motor.

Still looking for lighter springs, thanks all.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

So were you trying a Yamaha dealer? Have you ever tried Mike Komer at the Tryals Shop? By the way I realize that arm is strange, but if you have room a good welder could fabricate a short extension into the arm.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So were you trying a Yamaha dealer? Have you ever tried Mike Komer at the Tryals Shop? By the way I realize that arm is strange, but if you have room a good welder could fabricate a short extension into the arm.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't wish to change anything affecting the engagement except maybe drag with motor off (which lighter springs will help). If I can find some lighter springs by searching or bringing in calipers to a shop that has springs, I'll be set. Will give Mike a call, thank you.

Did finally find (with correct term) the posting by SCExpat reporting use of different washers and reply by MB, so at least I have my mind still. :-)

Originally Posted by SCExpat
I also got some of the special "top hat" washers ($$$) and this decreased the lever pull without removing any springs. It is not perfect, but much better and I am happy with it now.
Thanks for sharing that! Top-hat washers sound like the back off on the clutch springs preload. Given the simple helical compression spring formula, k=fx or rather f=k/x (the force you get from the spring is its constant value divided by the amount you compress it). It's a linear relationship, so if you back off on preload, you back off on force. This reduces force with respect to lever travel over the whole travel range. Lowering the net spring force on a pressure plate is a great way to take some evil out of clutches. Lower net spring force will make it easier to one-finger modulate, and it will reduce both grabbiness and drag.

There is another way to do this without buying parts, and it is SO easy to do and easy to reverse if you encounter mental problems with it. If you have a 6-spring clutch, simply remove two on opposite sides. Whether you decrease preload on 6 springs or remove two the effect is the same.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
What, some don't like my long postings??

You said up front 5-spring clutch, so you don't have spring-removal options. A very cheap option is to back off on clutch spring preload. No fancy top hat washers needed, just shim under the spring washers with washer smaller in diameter than the inside coil diameter of the springs to reduce preload. Make sure the screws aren't out far enough when tight to rub on the clutch cover.

But if a cable-style clutch arm lengthening can be easier. How much you lengthen will depend on whether it releases fully early enough, giving you plenty of room to reduce lever pull force. Long extensions may require a repositioning of the cable stay sop the approach angle doesn't make the cable rub over a curve.

No substitute for good cable with oil (not light spray) as a lubricant that runs down the cable and eventually drips out the bottom end.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
What, some don't like my long postings??

You said up front 5-spring clutch, so you don't have spring-removal options. A very cheap option is to back off on clutch spring preload. No fancy top hat washers needed, just shim under the spring washers with washer smaller in diameter than the inside coil diameter of the springs to reduce preload. Make sure the screws aren't out far enough when tight to rub on the clutch cover.

But if a cable-style clutch arm lengthening can be easier. How much you lengthen will depend on whether it releases fully early enough, giving you plenty of room to reduce lever pull force. Long extensions may require a repositioning of the cable stay sop the approach angle doesn't make the cable rub over a curve.

No substitute for good cable with oil (not light spray) as a lubricant that runs down the cable and eventually drips out the bottom end.
Re length of answers, I was only teasing in an appreciative way. :-)

I almost wish it still used a cable, the Moose Easy Pull I put on my CR250 works great.

I'll check clearance from sidecover, never much it seems, although they obviously weren't very concerned with overall width back when they were making this mx lump. Thought of using longer fasteners to back off preload, but figured not enough clearance to help much. May relieve the case a bit if I have to. Will try to visualize your suggestion, not seeing it right now. :-(

Read 100+ posts RTW re this and saw bigger MC as most common solution. I asked Mike at Tryals Shop about using a larger one and he said when they were doing support for Scorpa at the World Rounds all the riders switched to one. $150 is a bit pricey though.

I'm working to source some softer springs, like the Splatt Shop sells for the Sherco. Chris was very helpful in giving me all the dimensions. Yamaha and Barnett, not so much.

And I lost track of how many "man up" comments I came across, but I did count the number of riders that followed me end to end through Little Sluice on the Rubicon last two weekends.

I'd like my wife to be able to ride this bike (who is a rock climber lol) and I don't want her to have to man up. Sorry, guess I had to rant a bit, just a drag that asking a question and/or reading replies on the internet is 90% a waste of time. (Did you know that removing springs will cause clutch to slip and if you lose cell signal your smartphone won't work as a GPS? )

Thanks for being the 10%, Hooke's Law and all that.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Right up front, I admit to not having read the previous replies thoroughly (busy!).

I have a 2002 SY250 and find the clutch to be very minimal effort. On par with the new 2012 Sherco I recently spent a few hours on. I see that you're running 4 of 6 springs on your Sherco... was the effort of the stock Sherco higher than you liked as well? Just trying to get a frame of reference...
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
StuInFH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Right up front, I admit to not having read the previous replies thoroughly (busy!).

I have a 2002 SY250 and find the clutch to be very minimal effort. On par with the new 2012 Sherco I recently spent a few hours on. I see that you're running 4 of 6 springs on your Sherco... was the effort of the stock Sherco higher than you liked as well? Just trying to get a frame of reference...
If you had read above, you'd know the problem is with me. lol

Yeah, the pull is easy enough for trials, but I'm setting the bike up for an all day trail bike for Rubicon and Fordyce, if that means anything to you. If I can get the lever pull down to my girlie-bike 690R, I'll be happy.