ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #31
withoutaride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
There's a boatload of 2008 Husky SM610 parts for sale on ebay right now. The seller is located in Battle Ground Wa. Maybe coincidence?
OOPS....already mentioned. Carry on.
withoutaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #32
Luo Ba OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
CauseofConcern is right, maybe we need to take another step and figure out a way to get more info out to the local riders. With enough people shaking trees something's bound to fall out.

I don't know how to do it, but is there a way for CauseofConcern to put pics of his bike at the beginning of the thread. If its possible is there a way to change the name of the thread to "Stolen PNW Bikes"
Old 11-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Sorry to hear about your stolen Husky. I'll keep an eye out here in West Seattle.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #34
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 227
Looks like were getting to the point of needing a dedicated stolen bike thread. I'm disgusted. In the past three weeks, from the local advrider.com community alone, that's a bike each from Capitol Hill, Lower Queen Anne, and West Seattle. Extrapolating from this, I can't help but wonder how many bikes are disappearing each week from greater Seattle.

There's got to be a decent level of organization and possible sophistication behind this. With that many bikes going, I doubt we're gonna see anything popping up on craigslists anywhere. These bikes are going far away. I wonder what the possibility is that they are ending up in containers at the port? Every once in a while you hear about stolen car rings operating like that.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 9,097
I can't believe it would be cost efficient to containerize bikes and ship them.
It's a local ring. We need some bait bikes and lots of coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
No one feels as deeply as the Putin feels!

Truly he is the most superior leader.
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #36
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
it cost about 2500 to ship a container to Mexico.. AS long as your not in a hurry..

Dave
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #37
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
I can't believe it would be cost efficient to containerize bikes and ship them.
It's a local ring. We need some bait bikes and lots of coffee.
Agreed, or an ID chip of some kind. This was my experience:

My 2 year old gsxr stolen in 2009, recovered in 2011 by kirkland PD from the frame VIN. They told me that a sting operation had busted a professional local theft ring based in Bothell, and my bike was one of about ten that were recovered. However, all the other bikes were reduced to VIN-less piles of parts and I was the only owner available to make a claim. Last year when the case finally closed, they told me to come in and pick up my stuff.

Kirkland PD was great to deal with, and told me I could come in to the "evidence room" (an underground parking garage) and sift through the piles of parts to collect anything related to my bike.

I brought a friend and a van and found the remains of four k5 gsxr600s, a gsxr1k, an r6, a buell thunderbolt, and miscellaneous other parts that were actually tagged in shipping boxes for eBay sales. The officer was a nice lady and was married to a local dirt bike rider, and she felt bad that my bike was uninsured when stolen (ill never make that mistake again.) She tells me, "just take whatever you want, it's all going to auction." And then she watched us stuff our van full to the roof of stolen parts. It was surreal. I rolled out of there with several full fairing kits and thousands of dollars worth of other parts, as well as my gsxr frame/motor/swingarm (which were not branded as salvage because it was uninsured!)

I sold it all on eBay for just about the same amount that I would have made on the fair market value of my suzuki back in 2009. Some of you will say I should have tried harder to locate original owners, but it really wasn't feasible four years after the thefts.

Long story longer, I believe that local thugs like the Bothell gang are responsible for most of these thefts, and bikes are simply being broken up and sold on eBay. It is so easy and untraceable. Our only real protection besides kwisn's suggestion is insurance coverage. A stolen bike thread is a great idea.

To other victimized owners, I sincerely hope you get as lucky as I did.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

I'm not too familiar with eBay sales - is it easy to conceal the location of where the parts are shipped from? If a gang or person steals a bunch of bikes then starts parting them out on eBay, wouldn't it be easy for me to search "ktm parts" within say, 300 miles of Seattle, and easily identify the thief/seller? Or can the seller list their location as "Asbury Park NJ" but be shipping parts from a garage in Lower Queen Anne?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #39
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
I'm not too familiar with eBay sales - is it easy to conceal the location of where the parts are shipped from? If a gang or person steals a bunch of bikes then starts parting them out on eBay, wouldn't it be easy for me to search "ktm parts" within say, 300 miles of Seattle, and easily identify the thief/seller? Or can the seller list their location as "Asbury Park NJ" but be shipping parts from a garage in Lower Queen Anne?
For eBay, the seller's location is whatever he chooses to put in the profile, and the parts could actually ship from anywhere. I have moved three times but my location always says "Seattle."
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Right, thanks for the clarification. So I can scour eBay for pieces of my beloved 400, but unless I can positively identify some sort of unique bit, I've got nothing but unfounded suspicions to stand on. Which brings us back to...

...the bait bike. I've got 5 on it. Where do we begin?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #41
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
It also matters on the production #'s of the bikes. Suzuki sells thousands of GSXR's every year, vs. the low sales of boutique brands like Husky and to a certain degree KTM. There's probably only a couple of dozen 08 TE610's at the most in the greater Seattle area so any parts, etc. should stand out if they pop up for sale.

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #42
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 289
No affiliation,

But this could be a cool solution -

Tiles

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
joeaverage
mediumcore

Oddometer: 111
I'm not sure if you got your bike back but...

I saw an SM610 on Capitol Hill today and I'm pretty sure it's that bike in the photos. It was missing the plate but I took a couple of pics. I'll pm the location and my contact info since I can't post pics on this site. Hopefully it is yours and you've already recovered it.
joeaverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #44
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Saw one too, within a few blocks of 13th and Howell. I took a few photos, then totally spaced and forgot to post. I was in a bit of a daze that morning on my way to an appointment.

I see on facebook that it was recovered - please share!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #45
Luo Ba OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

The bike has been recovered thanks to joeaverage. I saw his post today at about 3:30 and read his pm. Left work early to check if it was my bike and was still there. Yes, on both counts. Parked the bike in with my jeep and called the cops. I guess I thought the police would do more when they got there, but he just filled out the vehicle recovery form and handed it to me. The only question he asked was how did I find it. I told him I posted it on a motorcycle forum and someone saw it and posted.

The ADV community does another good turn
joeaverage, I owe you a beer or three Thank you, without your post my bike would still be gone.

Luo Ba