Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
chiba OP
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,175
2 vs 3 wheels, or why should I have multiple bikes?

I was chatting with a friend of mine over the weekend who, like me, has a sidecar rig (his is a Ural) and a BMW R12GS. For a long time he's ridden them both pretty much equally, but he's now thinking it might be time to sell his Ural and GS & get a different sidecar rig - and only have the sidecar rig as his m/c transportation.

My immediate recommendation was to sell the Ural & hack the GS, which he's now considering.

The big thing for him, I gathered, was that he wanted a more highway-worthy sidecar setup. He really likes the Ural, but occasionally, he said, he'd like to get down the road a piece & in a hurry. There are times, after all, when being able to sustain 75 or 80 mph for several consecutive hours is beneficial.

This got me thinking - do I really need to have my sidecar rig, which is definitely a road-burner when I want it to be, AND a regular 2-wheel bike? Am I wasting effort, time and money keeping both of these bikes maintained, ridden & insured? Am I simply being greedy and not accepting that I could (maybe) be quite happy with just my sidecar rig?

For right now, I enjoy riding both. My wife & daughter prefer the sidecar, but even my wife likes to go places on the GS from time to time - not long distances any more, but around town. One of the justifications I have for keeping the GS is that at one of the places I teach, they very strictly regulate motorcycles; I'm not allowed to park in the faculty lot there and I got a ticket for parking my rig on campus in m/c parking because it took up two m/c spaces - they want me to buy a regular lot permit that costs many hundreds of dollars each year instead of getting by on the m/c permit that is just $60 a semester. (I did ask if I could buy a second m/c permit for the sidecar to allow the 2nd space, but they said no.) My other school I teach at, I have a standard faculty lot permit, so I can park the sidecar on campus with no trouble at all because a space is a space there.

I wondered how many of you ADV hackers have both a sidecar rig AND a 2-wheel bike and what your reasons are for keeping both in your life. Please throw your wisdom down upon me.

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,300
I like the 2 wheeler at times just for ease of getting around and it is fun to ride, especially in the twisties up here. The GS is used on and off road but it will eat highway miles when I need to get to the coast, either coast, in a hurry. The Ural is mainly for Winter riding 5 or 6 months out of the year up here. The Rokon is for camping and when I just want to play.

Arranged in order of speed from left to right;
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Wylder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
In Cali, we split lanes so 1200 for splitting and 1150 sidcar rig for camping and such.
Wylder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
haket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I use my Ural for things I used to use a car for, shopping, material transport etc.

The bike is used for everything else as its faster, easier to park, more economical, can lane split and is comfier over distance.
haket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Best of All Worlds

I like all my bikes for different reasons / rides. While I can afford em all, I'll keep em all

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,788
Ural & a Harley. Still looking for the right Orange for more serious off-roading than I do on the Ural. The Harley is for mileage.

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Backagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
The GS 1100GS rig does well eating up miles but isn't anywhere near as fun in the twisties as the RT. I love 'em both and as said before as long as I can afford it I'll keep both.
Backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
SportEvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
i might be the wrong person to ask ...

2009 r1200gsa with dmc sidecar (love it!).
2006 r1200gs (still love this bike).
KTM 690 enduro r & 350excf.
Yamaha wr250r (it's my boy's, but i ride it more than he does).
can't bring myself to sell any of them.
Pete
SportEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Mult bike

1159GS w DMC car
R1100RS
K1200S
R100 cafed
R100GS
R90S
Can't have too many
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
I have a two wheeled motorcycle that I ride from time to time, a EX500 that I purchased as it was only $300 with 6000 miles on it at the time. If it was worth much chances are I would sell it as I just do not ride it enough, less then 500 miles a year as I really like riding sidecar rigs, my first choice being GS type bikes, right now the EX500 is getting a bit more use as I sold my R1200GSW/M72DX rig (offered way to much money for it to keep it) and the R1200GSWA that will replace it is not due in until March. On this bike I will be setting it up with an Expedition sidecar. So bottom line for me, I would be happy with a single dual sport sidecar bike.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
you know what they say..The man with the most toys win...I have both 1150GSA/Ural and a bunch of Airheads..S/C is great but I still like to lean...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,300
So where are the pictures of all these bikes?
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
I was chatting with a friend of mine over the weekend who, like me, has a sidecar rig (his is a Ural) and a BMW R12GS. For a long time he's ridden them both pretty much equally, but he's now thinking it might be time to sell his Ural and GS & get a different sidecar rig - and only have the sidecar rig as his m/c transportation.

My immediate recommendation was to sell the Ural & hack the GS, which he's now considering.

The big thing for him, I gathered, was that he wanted a more highway-worthy sidecar setup. He really likes the Ural, but occasionally, he said, he'd like to get down the road a piece & in a hurry. There are times, after all, when being able to sustain 75 or 80 mph for several consecutive hours is beneficial.

This got me thinking - do I really need to have my sidecar rig, which is definitely a road-burner when I want it to be, AND a regular 2-wheel bike? Am I wasting effort, time and money keeping both of these bikes maintained, ridden & insured? Am I simply being greedy and not accepting that I could (maybe) be quite happy with just my sidecar rig?

For right now, I enjoy riding both. My wife & daughter prefer the sidecar, but even my wife likes to go places on the GS from time to time - not long distances any more, but around town. One of the justifications I have for keeping the GS is that at one of the places I teach, they very strictly regulate motorcycles; I'm not allowed to park in the faculty lot there and I got a ticket for parking my rig on campus in m/c parking because it took up two m/c spaces - they want me to buy a regular lot permit that costs many hundreds of dollars each year instead of getting by on the m/c permit that is just $60 a semester. (I did ask if I could buy a second m/c permit for the sidecar to allow the 2nd space, but they said no.) My other school I teach at, I have a standard faculty lot permit, so I can park the sidecar on campus with no trouble at all because a space is a space there.

I wondered how many of you ADV hackers have both a sidecar rig AND a 2-wheel bike and what your reasons are for keeping both in your life. Please throw your wisdom down upon me.
I had a Ural GU and a Honda ST1300 from 2006 and thought it best to have one of each, a three wheel and a two wheel.

Problem was that the Honda was rarely used except for longish trips that involved speed.

So when I remarried and my lovely wife said she loved riding in the sidecar and wanted to do a few multi week trips every year, I came to the conclusion that the ST needed to be hacked.

Now we have a high speed sidecar (The Batsickle) for getting there quick and comfortable, but also the Ural for use around the cottage area, day trips and off pavement.

Plus the Rokons (his and hers) for getting right off the roads.

So the Rokon have become the only 2 wheeled bikes in the family.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,497
I like both and have both. Some bike do quite well with a sidecar that can be taken on and off easily so you can experience both worlds. Of course a dedicated sidecar outfit is typically a better way to go if you are seriously into sidecars but ruling out the idea of switching from three to two wheels and visa versa isn't out of the question with some bikes.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
MGV8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Well I have both but haven't got the car attached to any thing I can use yet, separate story. Bought an 08 GS to attach it to but having so much fun with the GS I am having second thoughts. The Ural car would look a bit out of place on my ST1300 so it looks like I might have to buy another bike such a hardship. For the bit I have ridden my rig I am still thinking it will be lots of fun. Will let you know when I actually know
Brian
MGV8 is offline   Reply With Quote