Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

Oddometer: 8
Sidecar alignment attempt

Ight,
Im gonna check out the sidecar position to see if its close or not.
According to "Chris Harris" on U-Toob and other information I have conjured up, it seem as though my hack (2wd Patrol 06) is out of tune with the bike.

The rear "dog leg" as Chris calls it is supposed to be angled & NOT flat, mine IS flat or paralleled with the frame, leading me to believe that I may have an issue on my hands.

Now I'm wondering if the handling of my bike is how it's supposed to be, because I read some where the 2wd "feels like its on marbles" compared to just a single pull bike and sometimes it does feel that way, I have also read "I can drive it with one hand" That's what I'm looking for, driving with one hand.

OK, specs as I gather; *Rear frame underneath parallel to ground.
*Toe-in, 6-10mm "depends on how you drive"
I guess I drive like everyone else... WTFO

What difference is 6mm or 10mm? Is 6mm for taking it easy or going fast, ahem, I mean twisting the throttle or do I need 10mm?

And then I've heard the bike has to lean in 1 degree... also I've heard level.

I don't know, I would like to have a neutral handling bike at 55-65 (that's the spot)

Any help or info would be used to the best of my ability, as for now I'm going to level the car and shoot for 8mm, with the bike level, until I can find out otherwise.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebornoops View Post
And then I've heard the bike has to lean in 1 degree... also I've heard level.
Should be 0-1* lean "out" not in. That's set after you level the tub and set toe-in.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Slowsidecar
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wicked This should be what you need...

The really excellent F2 Motorcycles in the UK have a Blog with advice about this and other Ural and sidecar related stuff. It's at http://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/how-to-fit-sidecar.html#more

Let me know how you get on - my 2002 Ural Tourist goes in a straight line at all speeds and I can steer with one hand although corners are another matter altogether!!

Tim
Slowsidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsidecar View Post
The really excellent F2 Motorcycles in the UK have a Blog with advice about this and other Ural and sidecar related stuff. It's at http://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/how-to-fit-sidecar.html#more

Let me know how you get on - my 2002 Ural Tourist goes in a straight line at all speeds and I can steer with one hand although corners are another matter altogether!!

Tim
Thanks Tim,
even though it says it is a rough explanation, its detailed enough to see what has to be done.

I got two pipes about 10 feet long that I will use to do the toe-in with and I will lean the bike "OUT" when I do the angle, usgser. Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Another excellent source of information is www.sovietsteeds.com Scroll down to the sidecar alignment video;
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...php?f=5&t=8571

The Ural specs are 5 to 15mm toe in and 0 to 3 degrees lean out. The lean out compensates for the crown of the road. After making your adjustment watch the wear on your pusher tire, if you notice excessive wear on one side readjust your lean out.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Never what others call perfect

Have found Urals to be all showing a tiny bit of difference from the others.
W/ that 3rd wheel out there w/ or w/o 150 lbs inside means a lot.

But enjoying getting there & back has always been first for us.

Besure to mark where you are starting your adjustments from.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Here's how I did mine . Seems to be good atm . Tires need to wear in after adjustment IMO .

best
spro

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

Made an adjustment, now got I Question's

I got the side car level, I toe it in a hair, and stood the bike straight up.

I know for sure the side car is level, what I am not sure about is the toe in, I did'nt have a chance to hook up the pipes to get a measurement but, when I was leveling it the tub kinda kicked out, as to relax and I said to myself it seem thats where it wants to be, you know not bound up and all, so I tightened things up, then the bike seemed to be leaning way out and I "eyeballed" it vertical to the ground.

It does drive a little better in a straight but, when I turn left it almost seems to want to go straight, like fight to go straight, I actually skid the front tire on wet pavement turning left with this set up, I know I need to put the pipes on it and do the toe in properly, but what does this mean, hard to turn left, does it need more toe in?

P.S. thanks to those who have given input on this matter, I always do research before I tinker but, my case always seems to differ just a hair from what I read, so I post my Q's.