User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Hessian42 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Garmin 76cx ACTIVE LOG trick for tracks?

So I downloaded the white rim and lockhart basin tracks from the exchange however when i copy them into the 8gb sd card either as gpx or gdb. the gps wont show the tracks. I remember there being a trick to renaming the file to ACTIVE LOG, something about the amount of waypoints. tried that too and still wont show, maybe did it wrong?! Hitting the trails friday and really need to figure this out. would appreciate any help!!

by the way it does show the tracks in mapsource. the 76 has software version 4.0 with topo 100k loaded

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian42 View Post
1) I copy them into the 8gb sd card either as gpx or gdb. the gps wont show the tracks.

2)I remember there being a trick to renaming the file to ACTIVE LOG, something about the amount of waypoints.

3) 76 has with topo 100k loaded
1) Unlike the new generation units (78) the 76 can only display the 20 "Saved Tracks" plus the "ACTIVE LOG" that are stored in the main memory. You can copy all the files you want to the Data Card but only Maps will show.

2) Yes you can Clear the Active Log, take a track of up to 2,000 points name it ACTIVE LOG, and use the Mapsource download Icon to download it to a 76. However if your track for WRT is more than the 500 point maximum for a Saved Track, you can use MapSopurce to split it into as many 500 point tracks as necessary, then download them to the 76 with the MapSource Download Icon. You then need to open each track and Check "Show on Map" and set color.

3) Most people don't use Topo on small screen hand helds, City Nav or Roads & Rec is much better, too many lines with topo. Your track will just be another parallel line with the cliffs of WRT.

You may find many morfe tips if yhou go to DualSportWest.com and read my GPS online class.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,100
The White Rim is Trail a loop trail. Impossible to get lost once you are on it. It is very easy to find.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Hessian42 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
got it, forgot you had to send it to the device instead of copying it to the card. topo works just fine for me.

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote