User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Spetz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Close low-side on tight 90' left turn

The other day I was coming home from work, and decided to take a longer route than usual due to heavy traffic. This route involves a near zero speed sharp left turn that starts downhill, then goes uphill immediately after.

I entered at about 5-10 kph and as soon as I started to turn left my rear tire either hit a slimey spot or I had to much rear brake on.. Regardless, the rear end went to the right very fast.

I was already leaning over at this point and had to dab my left leg down, but because it was at the beginning portion of the uphill, leaned over, the distance was not to far.. I immediately felt a twinge of pain in my left knee as my foot hit the concrete. I looked at the spot after I regained control from the near low side and din't see anything where I rolled over. Strange

There was a car waiting on the hill to turn, one behind me turning and another that was racing up from the other direction. If I went down, I'm sure one one have hit me due to the distance I was being followed at.

Anyway..The pain is gone, the KLR is fine. I'm glad I was ATGATT (always) in case I went down, but it opened my eyes a bit..Seemingly dry concrete that I slid so easily on..

Not that exciting, but I thought I'd post anyway..

Spetz screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:56 AM
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Spetz ~

I hope folks don't come here for the excitement; glad your story was "boring."

When I first started reading it, I was a bit confused and thought I had read it before. Turns out there was another high side incident posted here just recently where the guy did go down, and nothing slick seemed to be involved in that one, either.

Great lesson I suppose is to be constantly aware of both brake and throttle, especially while negotiating seemingly simple, slow-speed turns.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
Its getting cold out now and i notice my rear tire sliding a bit more.

I have also hit spots that did not show anything but were slippery.
No sign of oil, or sand, in a turn I take very often, but one time the rear wheel slid out like a flat track bike. I saved it, but it was close.
It must have looked really cool.

Since I did not see anything, it was a dry substance or something got on my tire that did not show up till I pitched the bike over.

Every time out now I do S weeves to scruff up the sides of the tires.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Spetz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
It is getting cold here on Vancouver Island in the mornings, been a few down to 3'C (37'F) . I'm leaning more to the "locked up my rear tire" theory.. I have the stock dunlop 750's for about another 1500km, and the rear gives you very little feedback I find. I've purposely locked the rear to get a feel for it (which is very easy to do on the 750's), and I can't even tell it's locked up most of the time.

Spetz screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 10:03 AM
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Its getting cold out now and i notice my rear tire sliding a bit more.

I have also hit spots that did not show anything but were slippery.
No sign of oil, or sand, in a turn I take very often, but one time the rear wheel slid out like a flat track bike. I saved it, but it was close.

Do you remember exactly what you did to save it? Was it letting off the throttle; turning into the skid, or did you gas it out? Was your rear brake involved at all?

I'd like to store this in my memory bank for when I might need it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 156
I had a similar thing happen this past fall. Moderate speed, tight radius, left turn on smooth older pavement on a warm day. Newish Pilot Activs front and back. I don't recall applying the rear brake but it suddenly felt like I hit an oil patch. Like you, I finessed it back by kicking a foot out and straighten out with luckily nobody coming either way. Glad I was wearing boots!
RaystheBMW is online now   Reply With Quote