ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer
 
gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: ((kg*m)/s^2), IA, USA
Oddometer: 1,233
Exactly! I have no problem with people deciding that the darkside is not for them. Or deciding that they don't want to try it. But, to be so vehemently outspoken about something that they have no experience with is just blatant, purposeful ignorance.

Yeah yeah, they'll say "well, I don't need to try Russian roulette to know it's a bad idea".

And that may be true - but you don't see hundreds of people speaking out about the advantages of playing that either.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
but you don't see hundreds of people speaking out about the advantages of playing that either.
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa - SLOW: 1997 R1100GS
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BryonLewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Sacandaga Lake
Oddometer: 172
I've looked at Randy's posts on other forums. I would one day like to get a light bike to ride in the winter but I think anything lighter than a sv650|dl650 won't fit a standard car winter tire. All the light dual sports I think are too narrow. I don't want to mess around with studding the back because typically snow is only on the road for at most 24 hours at a time.
__________________
2008 Suzuki B-King | 2006 Honda VTX1800C | 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X GSR
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #34
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,543
If car tires were really better then motorcycle tires would look like car tires.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Randyo, I ventured to the darkside purely as an experiment as well.


I had read about the darkside and every time the subject comes up, you get two very different sides. There's the people that have tried it and love it and then there's the people that condemn it as the worst possible thing in the world to do. They won't try it and insult anyone who has the gall to put a car tire on a motorcycle.

Personally, I thought it would handle like ass. I really thought it was a bad idea. But, then why are there so many people in favor of it? Out of all my research, I only ever found one person that tried it and decided it wasn't for him.

So, being of a scientific mind and experimental nature, I decided that when my MC tire wore out, I'd try it. I picked up a nail in the road about 3 months ago and decided it was time.

I mounted a car tire to my bike, and went out on a test ride with the intentions of creating my own opinion and of being the informed voice to tell all those darksiders how bad of an idea it was. I could test it myself and prove to them how much the handling was negatively affected. I was will to risk $70 on a tire for an informed opinion knowing full well that I would likely take it right back off and pony up the $200 for a "real" tire.

I failed. I couldn't prove the darksiders wrong. The handling was by and large unchanged. Really, there was no real difference that I could feel. I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years. I've had this one for the last 6 years and know it well. There really was nothing to get used to. The bike handles like a bike.

The only real differences were all good ones. Riding on gravel, for some reason, was drastically improved. I can't explain it, but it feels so much more secure. My bike used to feel sketchy on gravel roads, but now I'm perfectly comfortable at 60 mph and it's alot of fun powersliding around corners.


Traction on the rear tire is greatly increased - in all situations. I expected straight line acceleration and braking to be better - and it is. But, even hard acceleration out of the corners is better. I used to be able to break the back end loose and step it out a little. But, it stays planted now. Which is even more impressive considering that the tire is a little smaller in diameter, so the bike is geared lower. If the traction were the same, it'd be even easier to break the tire loose.

I really don't see any reason to go back to a motorcycle tire on the back of my cruiser. My lean angle is limited by hard parts way before it is limited by the tire - even with me hanging way off to the inside.



I know Dakez prides himself on coining the term "dumbsider". And if that's a point of pride for him, he can relish in it. Personally, I think it's about the laziest way to insult someone. Though, I feel the same way about those who think it's clever to use words like Redumblican or Obummer. I guess some people never get past 5th grade levels when it comes to insults.
The exact same experience here, including my interpretation of Dakez and his lame ass yap.

I think one important thing not talked about is finding a car tire with a more rounded profile. The tire I ended up using on my HD was a BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2. I put the tire on myself with two spoons, had no problem with the bead whatsoever.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #36
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please
 
SkiFastBadly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Oddometer: 1,521
If I put a car tire on my bike, should I balance it with dyna beads?
__________________
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
If I put a car tire on my bike, should I balance it with dyna beads?
I've never used them.

Strangely enough, when I put the CT on my bike and we threw it on the balancer, it didn't require any weights.
The motorcycle tire I took off had about 4 on the rim...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
lynch180
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Oddometer: 65
This is a new one for me
__________________
Honda Varadero 1000
Suzuki drz 400s
Suzuki bandit 600 x 2
KTM 250 EXC
Honda XR 50
lynch180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #39
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
If I put a car tire on my bike, should I balance it with dyna beads?
I did on my FJR (actually air pellets); seemed to work well. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I've never used them.

Strangely enough, when I put the CT on my bike and we threw it on the balancer, it didn't require any weights.
The motorcycle tire I took off had about 4 on the rim...

same here, no weights
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #41
Reverend12
Well there it is..
 
Reverend12's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Maylene, Alabami
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
If it was cheaper I'd do it, but I paid $70 total for six tires, four rear and two fronts, that's less than one car tire :)
What are you running Ching Shings...
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer
 
Bar None's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
If it was cheaper I'd do it, but I paid $70 total for six tires, four rear and two fronts, that's less than one car tire :)
What motorcycle tire can you buy for $12?

I wonder how many have tried the car tire and decided it would not work for them besides JustinP on his Busa.

I would love to try a car tire on the pusher for my Ural but there is not enough room.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #43
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrphotoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: KBR27
Oddometer: 1,044
save even more money by going with solid rubber riding mower tires. the bonus is it will not cripple your bikes handling much more than the regular dumbsider tire and you should get about 100,000 miles out of it.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #44
kneeslider OP
Studly Adventurer
 
kneeslider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: The Back of Bork!
Oddometer: 812
Question M/C vs. Car Tires or Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Randyo, I ventured to the darkside purely as an experiment as well.




I had read about the darkside and every time the subject comes up, you get two very different sides. There's the people that have tried it and love it and then there's the people that condemn it as the worst possible thing in the world to do. They won't try it and insult anyone who has the gall to put a car tire on a motorcycle.

Personally, I thought it would handle like ass. I really thought it was a bad idea. But, then why are there so many people in favor of it? Out of all my research, I only ever found one person that tried it and decided it wasn't for him.

So, being of a scientific mind and experimental nature, I decided that when my MC tire wore out, I'd try it. I picked up a nail in the road about 3 months ago and decided it was time.

I mounted a car tire to my bike, and went out on a test ride with the intentions of creating my own opinion and of being the informed voice to tell all those darksiders how bad of an idea it was. I could test it myself and prove to them how much the handling was negatively affected. I was will to risk $70 on a tire for an informed opinion knowing full well that I would likely take it right back off and pony up the $200 for a "real" tire.

I failed. I couldn't prove the darksiders wrong. The handling was by and large unchanged. Really, there was no real difference that I could feel. I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years. I've had this one for the last 6 years and know it well. There really was nothing to get used to. The bike handles like a bike.

The only real differences were all good ones. Riding on gravel, for some reason, was drastically improved. I can't explain it, but it feels so much more secure. My bike used to feel sketchy on gravel roads, but now I'm perfectly comfortable at 60 mph and it's alot of fun powersliding around corners.


Traction on the rear tire is greatly increased - in all situations. I expected straight line acceleration and braking to be better - and it is. But, even hard acceleration out of the corners is better. I used to be able to break the back end loose and step it out a little. But, it stays planted now. Which is even more impressive considering that the tire is a little smaller in diameter, so the bike is geared lower. If the traction were the same, it'd be even easier to break the tire loose.

I really don't see any reason to go back to a motorcycle tire on the back of my cruiser. My lean angle is limited by hard parts way before it is limited by the tire - even with me hanging way off to the inside.



I know Dakez prides himself on coining the term "dumbsider". And if that's a point of pride for him, he can relish in it. Personally, I think it's about the laziest way to insult someone. Though, I feel the same way about those who think it's clever to use words like Redumblican or Obummer. I guess some people never get past 5th grade levels when it comes to insults.
I know they work on bikes with sidehacks, but I'm concerned with the contact patch in the corners, especially on a large bike like a BMW GS. I am sure I'd use one if I need a rear tire & nothing else was available.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
I'm waiting for Moto-GP to discover the superior benefits of car tires on bikes. I can see it now , both rear AND front car tires. I guess they'll catch up eventually.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014