Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #46
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
I know they work on bikes with sidehacks, but I'm concerned with the contact patch in the corners, especially on a large bike like a BMW GS. I am sure I'd use one if I need a rear tire & nothing else was available.
I would think you would need to pay some attention to get a symmetrical tread
I have seen some in this thread that were not and not sure if in the wet the pattern forcing water to one side more than the other could present a problem ?

and I see the tire burners swear the contact is just as good in a corner but I don't quite see it that way also i it was the shiznit wouldn't the real racers be all over this ?

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...n_motorcycles/

and how do you answer the question of white wall out or in ???

I don't run trailer tires on my trailers cause there crap but thats as far as I will wonder LOL

asymmetrical a problem ?
I think maybe

ZEmann screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 07:50 PM Reason: disclaimer =much of this may have been mentioned I did not read the whole thread
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #47
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
save even more money by going with solid rubber riding mower tires. the bonus is it will not cripple your bikes handling much more than the regular dumbsider tire and you should get about 100,000 miles out of it.
So you tried the CT and didn't like it?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #48
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I know they work on bikes with sidehacks, but I'm concerned with the contact patch in the corners, especially on a large bike like a BMW GS. I am sure I'd use one if I need a rear tire & nothing else was available.
2015 Ural cT on order
Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #49
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I'm waiting for Moto-GP to discover the superior benefits of car tires on bikes. I can see it now , both rear AND front car tires. I guess they'll catch up eventually.
2015 Ural cT on order
Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #50
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
I'm waiting for Moto-GP to discover the superior benefits of car tires on bikes. I can see it now , both rear AND front car tires. I guess they'll catch up eventually.
it will be at least 10 years before they are as technologically advanced as hicks that cant ride around a corner that are trying to save $10 a year.
mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #51
haystack
Just ride

Oddometer: 3,726
Only a lunatic would run a car tire!

Here's proof!

Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
2014 Winner of the Biggest Potato in Jersey
haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #52
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
and I see the tire burners swear the contact is just as good in a corner but I don't quite see it that way also i it was the shiznit wouldn't the real racers be all over this ?

This same flawed logic shows up in every darkside discussion. It's only a matter of time before some sheep bleats out the pitiful, "Why aren't race bikes using car tires?"

It is such a stupid arguement. I can only put tires on my motorcycle that motorcycle racers put on theirs? What kind of logic is that? I have two cars - a mini van and an SUV. Niether are shod with tires that any NASCAR, Formula 1, or Indy race car would ever use. Does that mean my cars are going to burst into flames?

I ride a cruiser. I don't race in Moto-GP. Why is it so difficult to understand that my needs in tires are different then the needs of a race bike?

Joexr? ZMan? What tires are you running on your bikes? Super gummy, 500 mile, racing slicks I assume?

gravityisnotmyfriend screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:27 PM
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #53
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:

I would never consider running a bias ply car/truck tire

a radial car tire carcass behaves the same as a radial bike tire, sidewalls flex, the carcass distorts to keep the contact on the road, even at rull lean with pegs scraping, contact patch is equal to or larger than the bike tire contact patch at the same lean angle

looking at an unloaded tire sitting on a sidestand is not what is on the road when it is loaded with weight and centrifugal force riding down the road
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #54
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
it will be at least 10 years before they are as technologically advanced as hicks that cant ride around a corner that are trying to save $10 a year.
Did that sentence make sense to you when you typed it up? Does it make sense to you now? Does the smilie mean it's OK to laugh at you?

Really, I have no idea what your point is or what it is that you are trying to convey.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #55
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Like I said earlier. Decreased contact patch in the corners is a common misconception. Look at my video. At around the 2:10 mark I scrape a peg. There is more car tire in contact with the road than there would be if it were an MC tire.

Here's the bottom line - I don't care if you or anyone else tries a car tire. When discussions like this ensue, it quickly becomes obvious that the average motorcyclist is too timid to think for themselves or to try something new. And, that is fine. Ride with what you are comfortable.

But, unless you have something real to go on - don't insult those who are willing to think for themselves and willing to give something new a try.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #56
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
save even more money by going with solid rubber riding mower tires. the bonus is it will not cripple your bikes handling much more than the regular dumbsider tire and you should get about 100,000 miles out of it.
The ignorance runs deep with you. Do you practice it? Or does it come naturally?

Such a scathing zinger. Really, kudos to you. And, incorporating "dumbsider" into the your two sentences? Nicely done.

Honest question. On what authority do you posit that a car tire cripples my bike's handling? Real world experience? Or unsubstantiated assumptions?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #57
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
The ignorance runs deep with you. Do you practice it? Or does it come naturally?

Such a scathing zinger. Really, kudos to you. And, incorporating "dumbsider" into the your two sentences? Nicely done.

Honest question. On what authority do you posit that a car tire cripples my bike's handling? Real world experience? Or unsubstantiated assumptions?

I believe he is a dumbmouther.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #58
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
On what authority do you posit that a car tire cripples my bike's handling? Real world experience? Or unsubstantiated assumptions?
Dunlop, Michelin, Avon, Perelli, et. all.

If the design of a car tire were suitable for motorcycles then motorcycle tires would look like, and be manufactured the same as, car tires (and at one time they used to be...then engineers and chemists got smart about how to make better tires that are differentiated to suit specific needs).
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #59
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
come on now, you know very well that crazy hillbillies with 4th grade educations know more about tires than tire engineers that work for billion dollar tire companies. are you stupid or what?
mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #60
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,032
I'm using a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire. 38 psi

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote